Getting a scooter from Los Angeles port to LAX

I realize that my particular cruise is a long way off but the information is important to me for planning purposes. Next February, I will be taking my own scooter aboard the Crown Princess for the 49 night cruise leaving Fort Lauderdale and arriving in Los Angeles in April, 2014. My questions are: Are scooter/handicap taxis available at the Los Angeles port (I have never been there) or will I have to make prior arrangements? If I have to make prior arrangements, can someone recommend a good reasonably priced company? Approximately how far from the port to LAX and how long should a taxi take and how much should it cost?

I'm sure this isn't my last question, but that is a beginning for me. Thanks,

Chris

There are taxis that will take your scooter. When you arrive at LAX just go to the taxi stand and request one. Since you have a lot of time you could also do a google search for accessible transportation at LAX. There are services other than taxis for transport.

As for price, it can vary greatly depending on day of week, time of day, traffic and if there is construction or accidents. It can take 30 minutes to two hours.

There are taxis that will take your scooter. When you arrive at LAX just go to the taxi stand and request one. Since you have a lot of time you could also do a google search for accessible transportation at LAX. There are services other than taxis for transport.

As for price, it can vary greatly depending on day of week, time of day, traffic and if there is construction or accidents. It can take 30 minutes to two hours.

This is strictly an FYI. My type scooter is a non-foldable, 115 pounder which will not fit into a "regular" taxi.

Yes $17 does sound much better than $60 to my 66 year old ears. I just don't do steps worth a darn, so hope that works.

Perhaps I mis-typed. I am getting off the ship at the Los Angeles port and going to LAX, not going to the port. (Where is the port that Princess docks at?) Sorry for any confusion.

Per Princess, the Crown Princess will dock (Voyage 3408C) in Los Angeles on April 5, 2014. I certainly don't see it there. Is it possible that Princess failed to inform San Pedro or that there is another docking point?

Voyage / Dest: 3408C / 49 Days South America - Cape Horn

Ship / Registry: Crown Princess / Bermudan

Embarkation: February 15, 2014 / Fort Lauderdale

Disembarkation: April 5, 2014 / Los Angeles

This really isnt any help to you, but how does the airline accept a scooter that doesnt fold. I am going to be getting a scooter in the near future and always thought you had to have a folding one for the airline.

Thanks for your consideration.

norma

Per Princess, the Crown Princess will dock (Voyage 3408C) in Los Angeles on April 5, 2014. I certainly don't see it there. Is it possible that Princess failed to inform San Pedro or that there is another docking point?

It's there. April is at the bottom in blue.:)

This really isnt any help to you, but how does the airline accept a scooter that doesnt fold. I am going to be getting a scooter in the near future and always thought you had to have a folding one for the airline.

Thanks for your consideration.

norma

There is no airline requirement or FCC regulation stating that a mobility scooter has to be a folding unit. The airline ground staff either places the scooter in neutral and pulls it to a elevator to take down to the loading area. Than lifts the scooter into the cargo hold, Or it will be lifted and carried down the stairwell at the end of the jet way where you leave it before boarding the plan. Either way the same will be done in reverse when you land at your destination.

OK folks thnis has been going for a couple days now. Does Princess have EZCheck fro San Pedro? Does anyone know of a reputable taxi carrier fro San Pedro to LAX? Thank you in advance.

On Delta, they are happy (?) to accept the large non-folding scooters and treat them as in the previous post. There is no extra charge. I just drive up to the door, and they take over from there.

At the port there was a taxi coordinator who called for an accessible cab for me. You could also see if Super Shuttle goes to San Pedro with an accessible van. But, you'll need to pre-book the van from that company.

If you book transfer with princess they have to provide accessible transfers.

I am not disagreeing with you, but I have never seen that before. In FLL, all I ever seen are busses that pull up to the front and load everyone aboard then drop you off at the Fot Lauderdale Airport for $15.

There are taxi lines beyond the busses and, if fortunate, can usually get an accessible taxi to carry the scooter and myself in a reasonable time.

The really great thing about Fort Lauderdale is they have Yellow Cab accessible cabs that you can either reserve, or just call and get one. Same price as a regular taxi. 954-565-2800. I usually call the night before and they are there within 5 minutes of the scheduled piuck-up time which I consider remarkable.

I have never had to get on the bus. They will make other arrangements.

I went to my TA with this question and she has told me that for a transfer fee of $29 they will pick up my luggage, my scooter and myself for transport to the airport. There is NO EZCheck in San Pedro. I told her to go ahead and get me that transfer. So, Sanspike and all others who contributed, thanks for your input. It was greatly appreciated. :)

Archived