Do last minute upgrades happen anymore?

mfs2k

On our very first cruise in 2005, which happened to be on the Carnival Miracle - DH, myself and another couple had booked OVs. When we saw our TA to make the final payment, she advised us that Carnival had upgraded us to balcony cabins - for FREE! At that time we had no idea how great this deal was. We have not been able to book anything but balcony cabins since - and we've never had another upgrade... We're booked on B2B Glory October 18th and 25th. I guess there's still hope for us.

Last October, the morning we were to board the Conquest in NOLA, my phone rang with a Miami number. It was Carnival wanting my son and I to take a FREE upgrade from a interior on the Riviera to a balcony a few decks higher. Unfortunately my other son and wife were booked in the room beside us and the upgrade was for only one room. Since the plan was to shuffle around so the kids were in a room and the wife and I were in a room we had to decline the offer.

We are cruising again in August, just the two of us, for our 20th anniversary. We are crossing our fingers hoping that we get that call again.

I got a call from the upgrade fairy last Monday but was out of the country and didn't get the message until the Saturday following. I called her back and left a message just in case. She called this morning and said there was nothing but I was top of the list if something came up. Then she called just an hour ago and offered an upgrade from our balcony cabin to a Grand Suite for $800. As I had $340 onboard credit from ES claims, I went ahead and took it and paid an additional $460. We are excited because we have our teenage daughter with us and the extra space will be great. We leave on Saturday.

Edited by trulytracy

On our very first cruise in 2005, which happened to be on the Carnival Miracle - DH, myself and another couple had booked OVs. When we saw our TA to make the final payment, she advised us that Carnival had upgraded us to balcony cabins - for FREE! At that time we had no idea how great this deal was. We have not been able to book anything but balcony cabins since - and we've never had another upgrade... We're booked on B2B Glory October 18th and 25th. I guess there's still hope for us.

I have only been upgraded many years ago from a 1A to a 4A inside which was nice. Since then, no upgrades from Carnival & we are Platinum on both Carnival & Princess. Your story about Carnival upgrading you to a balcony is what happened to us on Princess, went from obstructed view outside to a balcony, for free, which we have never have stayed in. Balconies has spoiled us & is the only cabin we will book now.

We booked inside cabins on the ES price originally....we were able to switch to a balcony for 30.00 since prices had dropped but then last week we got the call to Upgrade to the Extended Balcony grand suites and we declined because not everyone wanted to pay 100 each extra.....yesterday we got another offer...we are now in the Owners suite for 150.00 more per person and with 5 girls in the room total the extra space will be amazing.....I never thought I would get a call for any upgrade let alone the owners suite!!

Booked the Fascination about a month ago for August 2nd, Super Saver Ocean view Guarantee. Got our cabin assignment today and we were given a Category 8B Balcony, on Upper Deck Aft!! The Upgrade Fairy does still exist!! I know that the Fascination standard balconies are nothing to write home about, but I'll take it. It would have cost me $600. more if I had booked it initially.

Sailed solo on the Victory leaving 7/12 - I was booked in a porthole 1A without a single supplement. The afternoon before I was sailing I got a call with a Miami phone number. Carnival offered me a FREE balcony upgrade. This was my 18th Carnival and 1st free upgrade.

Back in 2003, my girlfriend and I booked a junior suite on the Pride. While we were checking in to board, we were informed that we had been upgraded to an Owner's Suite. What an awesome surprise! It was my 5th Carnival cruise at that time, so nothing major... but I guess it was more than anybody else that had booked a junior suite.

We were ridiculously excited, and as we walked forward the gangway my girlfriend said "tell me this wouldn't be a great time to propose!" About 2 minutes later I was on my knee with the ring out in front of the camera. She never saw it coming!

I can see why Carnival has stopped doing this though. If they would have told us "We can upgrade you to an Owner's Suite for 200 dollars" we would have done it. Why give it away for free?