Do last minute upgrades happen anymore?

mfs2k

Thanks, she did once and she told me Carnival was not budging on the price to upgarde. I thought having 6 suites still available 30 days out was a lot.

I will ask her again if still available closer to date. All they can say is no...again:(

I can't justify an additional $1400 :eek:

Keep watching the pricing on the website and have TA call again if the price difference is reasonable to you.

We were booked on the Sunshine for a interior cabin on deck 6 sailing Nov 18. I was called on the 15th offering me an ocean view on deck 2, no charge. So we took it, really enjoyed an ocean view that near the water plus in cabin 2208 was very close to the atrium area, elevators and our dining room.

We have sailed on Carnival four times, but never have been offered a free upgrade. We had an interesting experience with the Upsell Fairy.

In 2011 we had booked a Grand Suite with an extended balcony on the Carnival Ecstasy. We got a call offering us a upsell to the Penthouse Suite (also called the Owner's Suite) when she still sailed out of Galveston, TX.

There are only two of these gigantic suites on the ship. We had been on the Ecstasy before and never realized they were there. The cabin measures 916 sq ft and the balcony 110 sq ft. :eek:

Most people don't even know they are there because they are sort of out of the way and tucked out of sight. It was and upsell not a free upgrade, but since it was our anniversary, I said yes. To me, it was worth every penny! :D

My wife took pictures and posted them on her personal website. You can see them at the link below.

http://nancysoasis.com/OS/OS.html

Nice suite! They offered us the owners suite on the sensation last year but they wanted way too much IMO. As far as suite perks, I think they should offer in-suite dining for suite guests. That would make make paying for a suite more attractive to us at least.

the upsell fairy called me today actually...for our cruise in 3 days.. we had a balcony we only paid 304 pp with military discount...we got upgraded to an ocean suite for 149 more pp so a total of $906..i looked at carnivals website before giving her an answer and the ocean suite cabin for 2 totaled to be 1776... so we gladly accepted..

As a Diamond Passenger, I occasionally get a free upgrade, but on my recent "Breeze" cruise, I got what I consider the pinnacle of FREE upgrades. I bought a 4A, inside cabin, and used my "one time free Diamond upgrade" to book a Deluxe Inside Cabin. When I got to the pier in Miami, and checked in, the lady commented "OH, You Got Upgraded". I figured she meant the upgrade to the Deluxe, so didn't think too much about it, until we boarded, and went to the cabin. We got an "OCEAN SUITE" for the price of a 4A inside. It was SWEET! :cool:

"SKY"

As a Diamond Passenger, I occasionally get a free upgrade, but on my recent "Breeze" cruise, I got what I consider the pinnacle of FREE upgrades. I bought a 4A, inside cabin, and used my "one time free Diamond upgrade" to book a Deluxe Inside Cabin. When I got to the pier in Miami, and checked in, the lady commented "OH, You Got Upgraded". I figured she meant the upgrade to the Deluxe, so didn't think too much about it, until we boarded, and went to the cabin. We got an "OCEAN SUITE" for the price of a 4A inside. It was SWEET! :cool:

"SKY"

Not SWEET, but SUITE. Congrats.:D

#18 CCL cruise this week-end, and still waiting for any upgrade/upsell call.

Edited by Georgiagolfer
spelling

"SKY"

WOW!!

Wish I could have seen your Happy Dance when you got to your stateroom!!!

This will sound like a strange way to answer, but depends what the definition of "free" is. On a past NCL cruise, my travel agent was able to move us from an oceanview to a balcony for "free" because the fare for a balcony had become the same as what we paid for Oceanview.

This will sound like a strange way to answer, but depends what the definition of "free" is. On a past NCL cruise, my travel agent was able to move us from an oceanview to a balcony for "free" because the fare for a balcony had become the same as what we paid for Oceanview.

An upgrade that doesnt cost me anything to me is free.

as a diamond passenger, i occasionally get a free upgrade, but on my recent "breeze" cruise, i got what i consider the pinnacle of free upgrades. I bought a 4a, inside cabin, and used my "one time free diamond upgrade" to book a deluxe inside cabin. When i got to the pier in miami, and checked in, the lady commented "oh, you got upgraded". I figured she meant the upgrade to the deluxe, so didn't think too much about it, until we boarded, and went to the cabin. We got an "ocean suite" for the price of a 4a inside. It was sweet! :cool:

"sky"

wow

Received an e-mail frm Carnival yesterday for an upgrade for $40. Called them today and the "upgrade" was just to a higher floor - same type of room. Told Carnival I'd save my $40 and keep the room I already had. Some upgrade! I also received another e-mail from them - upgrade to a Junior Suite for $460. That's some upsell!

We leave for our cruise in just over two weeks. Booked in a balcony mid-ship on the Liberty. I had gotten us a few price drops totaling $120, the last being a week ago. On Thursday I got a call from the elusive "upgrade fairy". She offered us an upgrade from our balcony to a Grand Suite for only $750. I told her I needed to check with my roommates and I'd call her back. I quickly checked online and to upgrade to the offered room would cost us $1980! Needless to say we accepted the offer and are now booked on a 7 day cruise in a Grand Suite for less than $700 pp. Can't beat that :)

• 4 months later...

We got a call from the up sell fairy yesterday for our cruise in 2 and a half weeks. Went from a OS to a GS for half of what was online. Sweet!!!

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

We have sailed many times on all the lines. Never had a free upgrade.

We just booked MSC Divina for a 2night cruise in May. We want to see if we like the line. I just checked our booking online and I see that we were upgraded (free) from an outside to a balcony!!! WOOHOOO. And we have never sailed with them before! I think I like them :-)

• 3 months later...

Last minute upgrades do still exist!!!

I just got a call last night at 7 and my cruise is Tuesday.....I went from an inside spa room to a balcony spa cabin...I had to pay $300...because I wanted to stay on the spa floor...but they would have given me a balcony several floors lower. I am more than happy!!!! Only 3 days to my cruise and I'm so excited!!! ☀️🚢

We've done 32 Carnival cruises and have never had an upgrade or even an upsell. Don't hold your breath. I think the more you sail the less likely you'll get any kind of upgrade.

We have had 27 cruises with no upgrades. Seems like Carnival just values new cruisers. :mad:

Last minute upgrades do still exist!!!

I just got a call last night at 7 and my cruise is Tuesday.....I went from an inside spa room to a balcony spa cabin...I had to pay $300...because I wanted to stay on the spa floor...but they would have given me a balcony several floors lower. I am more than happy!!!! Only 3 days to my cruise and I'm so excited!!! ☀️🚢

I am on the same cruise and I am so jealous! I've been trying to upgrade our Cat 8D to an OS with no luck - even when 10 cabins were open. Then again, we did win the cruise at bingo....