Funny Cruise Ship Stories

OMG thanks everybody for the laughs!

I have 2 stories:

On our first cruise, we were sitting in the Windjammer cafe having some lunch and I notice a man waiting around one of the hot buffet stations. A waiter comes out and replaces one of the large dishes. The waiter leaves and the man takes the entire dish and carries it to his table. He sets it down in the middle of the table and the entire clan start to pick from it. Needles to say, he had several people around watching him with mouths open. Turns out they were chicken wings.

We were on a tour of St Maarten and had a stop at Orient. We were sitting at the snack bar when we saw an elderly, heavy set man come from the nude side of the beach, wearing a large towel around his waist. He gets a couple of drinks and takes his leave, as his towel starts to fall down. He bends over, at the waist to put his drinks down as his towels falls off. My eyes still sting at the thought.

• 4 weeks later...

This is more unusual than amusing. Dancing to the last set in Ocean Bar on HAL ship. As everyone was leaving noticed an item left in corner of a booth. It was a strapless bra. Probably, removed it after dinner, on a formal night. Anyone ever do this?

• 5 years later...

Ok so here's one. Please keep in mind that my older sister is DEATHLY AFRAID OF HEIGHTS.

We were on a cruise to Europe to celebrate my parent's 20th wedding anniversary (yes they decided to take the kids!).  We went to Santorini, Greece.  For those of you who don't know, Santorini is a town that literally sits on top of a volcano crater.  It's so shallow that you have to tender in.  There's only 3 ways to get to the town:

1.) Walk up 6,000 steps up the side of the crater

2.) Take a Gondola up the side of the crater

3.) Take the donkey up the crater

My parents and I opted for the second option, while my sister opted for the donkey.  When they mount you on the donkey, he already knows how to get up to the town, so they mount you on and slap him on the derriere.  They also tell you not to yell at the donkey, as that will make him go faster.  My sister must have missed that little detail.

As she headed up the side of the crater and rounded the corners, all she could see was ocean.  She started to freak out and yell at the donkey to slow down.  This only made the donkey go faster!  

The guy behind my sister was also afraid of heights and started yelling at his donkey to slow down as well.  My sister caught on to this detail (finally!) and then started yelling at the guy to stop yelling at the donkey.  The guy yelled back at my sister telling her to stop yelling at him to stop yelling at the donkey.  This only made both donkeys go faster, so now they're racing each other up the crater!

Needless to say, she took the Gondola back down!

• Haha 1

This post is more about travel then specifically ships.  But as a very frequent traveler/cruiser we had often run into folks we had previously met and a few times it has been really weird.  One time DW and I flew to England to spend a couple of weeks before departing from Southampton on a cruise.  We spent some time at a friends home (who we met on an Asian cruise) and tried to call another mutual friend from that same cruise who also lived in the London area.  Nobody ever answered their phone so we were not successful in reaching our friend.  We boarded our ship and were sitting in a bar when we heard a booming voice right behind our table and yes, it was our missing friend.

The other really weird thing happened on another European cruise when we were walking through a lounge.  As we passed a table on of the ladies said my name!  I had no clue who she was but did stop to chat.  It turned out that she had been in my 1st Grade Class (more than 50 years ago) and somehow recognized me.  Tis a small world.

Hank

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Nobody ever answered their phone so we were not successful in reaching our friend.  We boarded our ship and were sitting in a bar when we heard a booming voice right behind our table and yes, it was our missing friend.

It is a delight when one discovers someone with whom you have cruised before is on the same cruise and neither of you knew that we would be.

This happened to me on the Maasdam in Montreal when she was relocating to Fort Lauderdale for the season.  Friends from my Asia Pacific Cruise, with whom we had kept in touch, were on that same cruise.  We encountered each other on an elevator during embarkation and were so excited that our fellow guests on that elevator ride might have thought we were nuts the way all three of us reacted!