Anyone else suffer vacation guilt?

celebrity

Sorry, not a bit of guilt here. Maybe a bit for leaving our 4 dogs at home, but that's it.

I'm a corrections officer in a state prison. I work 12 hour shifts and deal with everything from drunks and druggies to child molesters to murderers. I feel that I've earned every vacation day I take. I also so don't feel guilty for spending the money I do while on vacation. I earned it.

As far as feeling guilty about the poor conditions in the places I visit, maybe me spending my money there will help pay someones salary so they can take a vacation.

I do a little bit. We have some very good friends who have had the most horrendous few years, both financially and health. Even when given the chance of a few days away they have had to cancel through ill-health. When they lived away from us it didn't bother me, but now they live in the same block of flats it makes me feel guilty when we go away. Daughter and I had a few days away at the end of last year and then early this year hubby and I took a last minute cruise. On both occasions the comment made was 'I wish we could afford to go away'. Now I know it's a natural thing to say, but it doesn't help.

We have now booked a land holiday towards the end of the year and, as yet, I haven't mentioned it to them.

Perhaps I am being silly, but........

I have no guilt whatsoever. I learned early in my corporate career, that no matter how good things may be today at work, I am still just a number. I work very hard, rarely don't receive top ratings on my annual review, but know that no matter how hard I work, if the company believes they will find better value with someone else, I'll be history. I'm am entitled to my vacation and to me, vacation is no work period. It's actually one of the reasons I enjoy cruising, it's much harder to reach me at sea!!!

I do know those that run their own businesses don't have this luxury, but I don't and that's how I see it in my work life.

Archived