Anyone else suffer vacation guilt?

celebrity

God how I hate the "must be nice" crowd! I always feel like I have to say "I only paid $600 and I do all my own excursions and I only eat in the steak house once and I take all my own...." Until they walk away and I look like an idiot!

Ugh I hate that phrase too!

Guilt leaving our dog - Nope she stays with a grandparents and they spoil her rotten.

Guilt leaving work - Nope I work hard and deserve my hols, cruises are especially good because you put your iPhone in the safe and don't touch it until you are in your own country again. After all in an emergency they know where you are :)

Guilt about the amount I spend on holidays when family, friends and co-workers do not - Nope, as Australians we have 4 weeks holiday each year and the person NOT going on a holiday is the odd one, not the person going. Us Aussies love our holidays whether it is a cruise or a caravan park at a nearby beach location.

Guilt about spending money when there are starving people in the world - Nope, I contribute to their economy by going on holidays which visit 3rd world countries, I always try to buy stuff from locals, do local tours, etc so my money is helping them. What if cruise ships suddenly stopped visiting a port - imagine how much money the locals would lose. In a lot of places, especially small islands, the cruise industry is the back bone of their economy.

Guilt about spending money when there are starving people in the world - Nope, I contribute to their economy by going on holidays which visit 3rd world countries, I always try to buy stuff from locals, do local tours, etc so my money is helping them. What if cruise ships suddenly stopped visiting a port - imagine how much money the locals would lose. In a lot of places, especially small islands, the cruise industry is the back bone of their economy.

Very well said and true. We are helping the economy of these destinations we choose for our vacations and without that, the locals would surely suffer.

While I do feel guilty (well sort of) about our many travels, I am very thankful of the jobs that both myself and my DH do all year long, that provides for the beautiful places we have seen, and are hoping to one day see (sea)!!

God how I hate the "must be nice" crowd! I always feel like I have to say "I only paid $600 and I do all my own excursions and I only eat in the steak house once and I take all my own...." Until they walk away and I look like an idiot!

Gee, I don't think you need to justify how you spend your vacation. Instead, just say, yep, I enjoy it a lot.

Hell no. I work my butt off. I travel the globe for work, always seeing people on their way to some lovely destination as I'm on my way to painfully boring meetings. I kill myself switching time zones constantly, working at all hours of the day. On the rare occasion I take a vacation, nothing is going to make me feel guilty in the slightest.

Great topic!

NO! Not at all!

Guilt leaving work - I work hard and and earn my holidays. I am a teacher and work my butt off preparing lessons for the relief (supply) teacher. I have everything done that needs doing ie reports etc. I walk out very happy and guilt free.

Guilt leaving the dog - No. Get a house sitter and his routine stays the same.

Guilt over how much I spend - Not at all. I am a singe parent on a teachers wage. A second job for about 18 years helped me get ahead. I have worked hard for my money and am happy to spend it. Wont be leaving a fat bank account when I check out, but the photo books of my adventures will entertain the future generations!

Guilt over spending money when there are starving people - I, like Wastegirl, am very careful to put my money into local industry etc not into big corporations. I don't do ship tours, I use locals particularly in less developed countries.

Guilt for the jealous people - Not at all. Again I say that I work hard for my money and am not at all embarrassed about how I spend it. "Going on another trip?" "Yes I am. It will be great I am going to blah blah...."

I'm too excited to worry about their jealousy.

So basically No, I dont feel guilty! (But I am soooooo glad that I am an Aussie with more annual leave than you get in US and with a lovely thing called Long Service Leave!)

Raina

Australia

I have never felt guilty about leaving work--and retired now, so that's a moot point.

However, my mother is no 90 and while still in her own home is in poor health and depends on me for a lot. She has needed a lot more help this last year.

I am now feeling guilty about leaving her, and worried. She does not make me feel that way; in fact she insists we go and would be very unhappy if we stayed home because of her.

My sisters live out of state, but will come stay with her if needed. But, they are both still working, and I feel bad about them doing that.

My son and DIL live and work nearby and will check on her, but they live very busy lives with four kids, their jobs, etc. They absolutely don't mind, but I do.

She also has great neighbors who check on her daily; again, I feel bad if I'm not there. I'm not sure guilty is the right word though, more like apprehensive that something major will happen while we are gone.

Great topic!

NO! Not at all!

Guilt leaving work - I work hard and and earn my holidays. I am a teacher and work my butt off preparing lessons for the relief (supply) teacher. I have everything done that needs doing ie reports etc. I walk out very happy and guilt free.

Guilt leaving the dog - No. Get a house sitter and his routine stays the same.

Guilt over how much I spend - Not at all. I am a singe parent on a teachers wage. A second job for about 18 years helped me get ahead. I have worked hard for my money and am happy to spend it. Wont be leaving a fat bank account when I check out, but the photo books of my adventures will entertain the future generations!

Guilt over spending money when there are starving people - I, like Wastegirl, am very careful to put my money into local industry etc not into big corporations. I don't do ship tours, I use locals particularly in less developed countries.

Guilt for the jealous people - Not at all. Again I say that I work hard for my money and am not at all embarrassed about how I spend it. "Going on another trip?" "Yes I am. It will be great I am going to blah blah...."

I'm too excited to worry about their jealousy.

So basically No, I dont feel guilty! (But I am soooooo glad that I am an Aussie with more annual leave than you get in US and with a lovely thing called Long Service Leave!)

It is never good to generalize. Some folks in U.S. manage a considerable amount of time off from their work/professions. DH is not retired and we usually cruise 4-6 times a year for a total of at least

60 -80 days away. We've also been adding 'land' vacations in recent years. ;)

Don't feel too sorry for All of us. :D ;)

Raina

Australia

Great topic!

Lol :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I never feel guilty leaving work for vacation. I feel guilty if I am sick and call in though. I feel guilty leaving our Golden Retrievers and our adult son since he then has a menagerie at his house!

Nope. No guilt here. Hubby is military so when his leave gets approved we can't wait to leave on vacation. We have two kitties that are taken care of and we simply go on vacation with no guilt. Sometimes I wonder what my family thinks now the hubby and I have started to plan one cruise a year. We work hard all year for a big trip and we can't wait for 12 days of vacation!

One thing that's different for us is on top of the one cruise a year, we travel on weekends while living here in Europe. I do feel a little guilty when I know our friends and family see photos of us on FB, one weekend we're in Amsterdam, another weekend we're in London, and so on.

This is the comment I get from people at work. Some of it may be jealously, but there are plenty of people around the office that just love to make snarky remarks about everything others do.

We are at the stage in our lives where our children are grown and we are close to retirement (so a bit more travel income).

Now when I get asked if I'm going on another cruise, I just smile and say "yep, we are making sweet memories"......:D

I'm not feeling guilty, I work for the money to go on a cruise !!!

I hate the remarks "Going on a cruise AGAIN?" My answer is : Yes, AGAIN, I need another cruisevacation!!! (lol) Maybe you can try it also? (and a few did try and loved it)

Next cruise will be a long one 35 days, yeah not working for 6 weeks. :)

I never feel guilty leaving work for vacation. I feel guilty if I am sick and call in though. I feel guilty leaving our Golden Retrievers and our adult son since he then has a menagerie at his house!

By your signature I assume you are a nurse? Yea, the guilt about being sick is something that is ingrained in us because we know how hard it it to work "short". I always ask myself if I would be putting my patients in harm's way by not being at my best ( or possibly being contagious:p), but like you I also feel that pinch and the feeling that they don't believe I am really that sick.

If your employer needed to lay you off or eliminate your position there would not be one second of guilt on their part ..

Agree completely ! I have seen an entired department of former teammates let go when their jobs were outsourced to India. I have absolutely no guilt about taking vacation time that is due to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh come on we are human beings after all! - NOT ROBOTS! Working till you get drained without taking a break is terrible. We all need to take some time out of the work and have some space of our own to breathe and kick off our shoes. Thats exactly why I decided to take some days off from work and go on a cruise adventure. Trust it was fun! And I found myself more productive at work after my return. The trip eased all my stress, strain and frustration which had been accumulating since ages!

Absolutely no guilt. When we go on vacation, it's a much needed and well deserved getaway. I have a rule that my DW agrees with. We are not allowed to think about work or talk about work until we get back home. I will admit, I think about cruising when I'm at work, but I DO NOT think about working when I'm on a cruise.:)

I feel a little guilt at leaving my 11 yr old dog, but he probably needs a vacation as well, spending time with other dogs.

Having worked as a teacher for 30+ years, and before that, having very little means to go anywhere except camping in an old army tent (LOL)....I thoroughly enjoy cruises now. Retirement means being able to go anytime of the year.

Yes, I get remarks like, "Well, I've never been on a cruise!" "How do you afford to do that?" "Going on a cruise, again???" "You wouldn't catch me on a cruise ship!" "Wish I could do that!"

With some of those remarks, it's pure jealousy, because most of them could, if they planned ahead.

I have offerred to take some with me, and they manage to find excuses to not go, so makes you wonder.

I worked hard, as most cruisers do to be able to cruise. It's a matter of what is priority to you, enjoy some time away in a beautiful location.'

I try to go twice a year, but I think starting next year it will be once a year, and making it a little bit longer cruise instead of two seven day cruises.

I am by no means well to do, as some people seem to think you are when you say you are going on a cruise...duh! All it takes is some planning, look for deals, and not go crazy with spending.

I hope someday to take my granddaughter with me, she is three now, and I want her to be able to enjoy the kids program, so I will wait a little. Will take her mommy too...LOL

Happy Sailing!

Archived