Anyone else suffer vacation guilt?

celebrity

Not one iota. Many times work is closed (school) so there wouldn't be any place for me to go anyway. My husband is self employed, so although he can't take a lot of time off, he does take a week or 10 days at least once per year.

When our kids were a bit younger (18-21) they no longer wanted to go with us, so we now cruise without them. I did feel a bit of guilt about it the first time, but they were happier to see us go. Now at 21 and 24 they love it when we leave. No, they don't trash the house and have parties.

We have no pets, I don't even have house plants to take care of...we just go.

Not guilty about leaving work at all. They have no problem making overtime mandatory and restricting how much vacation we can take and when. If sick on a weekend we have to work another weekend day and they probably will pressure us into coming in on a scheduled day off too. Most recently they are making us wear a specific color of uniform from a specific company.. no choices. At our expense. Never mind the hundreds of dollars we have spent on our current uniforms. If we get a service award or we give some of our vacation time back to the organization as a charitable gift we have to pay tax on it. So... nope. Vacation is mine and I do not feel one little bit guilty. I can't get away fast enough!

Crazy, I know but I always suffer guilt at leaving for vacation.

I'm a dedicated employee, perfect attendance, work hard, so why do I do this to myself?

Love my trips once I set sail, but the build up is quite stressful.

I always tell people that within six months or either dying, quitting or retiring, most of your co-worker would have forgotten your name, so I never feel bad about taking off.

My guilt is associated with the fact that I feel so fortunate to be able to cruise three or four times a year when most of the world cannot afford to cruise or even vacation at all. Except for Cruise Critic and my family who also cruise often, I don't tell anybody I ever go on a cruise.

Even on a cruise, I don't tell others how often I have cruised. From reading here at Cruise Critic, I have learned even some people on cruises resent others who cruise more often.

Neither my DH nor I feel any guilt about taking vacation. We work hard, in difficult conditions, and need a break. We make lots of sacrifices to be able to afford to cruise. When one of DH's co-workers says "well, it must be nice to have so much money" or similar, DH has to restrain me ;) (or alll that hard-saved money would be going to pay my bail and lawyers' fees :D )

I have no guilt about taking a vacation. I spent most of my military career taking my leave to work other jobs so I could make ends meet. Now I am in a supportive work environment that encourages taking time off. Many, in my office, are frequently asking about my next vacation. They know we cruise and travel whenever the opportunity presents itself and actually ask a lot of questions. Maybe my enthusiasm helps.:p

some of you folks need to see a professional.. hiding cruising from friends, taking laptops so you can work on vacation, feeling bad because others folks can't afford to vacation? folks spend their money on huge houses they can't afford or expensive cars, whatever, I live in a house that is average and paid for and I own a '96 accord and a 2007 cr-v. kids all gone and both finished college and advanced degrees without loans. I don't understand why anyone would be 'embarrassed' because of how they choose to spend their money.

You are a better employee for getting fun and relaxation into your life.

We cannot only work with no respite and think we will continue to provide our best work.

Go on your cruise with no guilt. Your employer must provide time off and they know it. :)

Why would someone feel guilty for spending their own money? I certainly don't. People who work usually have to prioritize how they spend their salary. Started working young and have never spent foolishly; never had the latest things and buy cautiously. If others choose to not work or to spend their money on huge houses, expensive cars and electronic toys, that's their choice. Life's what you make of it.

Taking vacations is HEALTHY....those who don't, suffer for it. When you are on vacation, you are "off the clock", so your "perfect attendance" won't suffer! (and, you're not in high school anymore...who cares???)

Take your time off and enjoy!

Guilt: over the animals. Guilt: because I have kids in college and feel that I have to explain every cent to people who aren't listening and don't care. Embarrassment: because I spend too much time cruising. I really went overboard (ha) a year ago and went on four cruises in a year. I didn't set out to do it that way but circumstances combined and offers came up and voila- before I knew it I was scrambling and packing and throwing dogs in kennels and tossing bills in a pile and working late and begging coworkers to cover stuff for me. Not good!:o Waaay too much of a good thing.

So this year- two cruises. I'm good. That's it. :)

Nope I don't feel guilty one little bit. Sometimes I feel embarrassed that we keep going on cruises (why not somewhere else? Wow you must really like that? Type questions). But guilty no. I work hard for my money. I work hard for my time off. My employer provides me with vacation and I feel it's disrespectful and ungrateful to not take advantage of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't feel guilty but a lot of people in my town say things like "it must be nice"

Yep it is. I work hard and save hard!

God how I hate the "must be nice" crowd! I always feel like I have to say "I only paid $600 and I do all my own excursions and I only eat in the steak house once and I take all my own...." Until they walk away and I look like an idiot!

Absolutely no guilt! My moto is, when it comes to vacation, I'm entitled to it. I work hard, and sometimes its stressful. Heck, I'm glad to leave it all behind. Once I step out that door I forget all about it. I get a bit down when the vacation is over.

If your employer needed to lay you off or eliminate your position there would not be one second of guilt on their part ..

That's not a fair, blanket statement IMO

Some employers go into strangling contortions to avoid laying off their workers. To state there wouldn't be a second of guilt on their part is so wrong in a great many cases. I've known some small business owners who pace the floors trying to find a way to keep all their workers on the payroll.

But that isn't the subject of this thread.

Don't feel guilty. If it is your vacation time, you should go with a happy heart and enjoy every moment. The work year is long and hard for most.

Get as much out of vacation as possible.

IMO

I think some of it comes from the fact that so many of us are not employees in the traditional sense any more. If I worked all year for two weeks off I wouldn't even think about it. I'm an independent contractor. It's a gray area. We can hustle like crazy to get more time off. Then that can raise eyebrows or make us feel "guilty", even though productivity or even actual work hours is increased.

Just speculating/projecting.

Archived