Should I book excursions through cruise line?

Mrbluray

Hi.

I'm sailing to Bermuda from April 4-11 on the NCL Breakaway. Since we are docked there for three days, should I bother booking excursions online through the cruise line? Or should I wait until I get to Bermuda and just kinda explore the island via taxis, buses, etc....

It depends on the excursion, but in general, yes. If one is late getting back and booked through the cruise line, they will wait for you. If privately booked, they will sound the horn, then leave you. Wave bye bye to the ship.

Also, research pricing. Sometimes it's cheaper through the CL, sometimes it's not. Plus if it's a short excursion and not going far from port, I have no reservations booking these on my own.

If you're going on a boat/car and it's 30min or more away, I book through CL. Breakdowns/issues do occur.

For private island stops, either way is fine. These places are small and if you find yourself alone, you know it's time to go.

Bermuda is very doable on your own. If you have handicapped folks traveling with you I might recommend booking something to ensure you don't have difficulties with transportation, but other than that... go hang on your own and save some dough!

The bus and ferry pass is a great way to go and do on your own when you want to go. Now, going on your own means you'll need to spend a little more time getting your bearings and figuring out a little bit of information like which bus numbers pass where I want to go, what street do I turn up to get to this, etc

I do agree with other posters, that you'll want to be a little more careful the day you're to sail again... it's always wise to go further out the first days and then stick closer to port on your final partial day unless you've got a ship excursion that day.

Judy

I would save myself a lot of money and book privately, especially in Bermuda.

Do your private tours on the first two days, and then stick around the Dockyard area on Day 3. There are a lot of things to see/do at Dockyard if you've never been to Bermuda before.

I'd even go so far as to rent your own boat for four hours. You can do your own snorkelling tour and save quite a bit of money that way as well.:)

I'd do some research on the prices first, then decide. Like others have said, Bermuda is very easy to see on your own, and with multiple days there, you won't feel rushed and worried about missing the ship. I'd stick close to the ship on the final day, unless you arrange something through the cruise line.

again, we chose a private tour the first day. we are not from bermuda and want a local guide to show up the "must sees". the 3 we chose through celebrity gave us additional cool things we must other might not see. ie. an evening glass bottom boat trip to the bermuda triangle, a catamaran snorkel trip to devil's isle. the last we are taking a shuttle to and from horseshoe bay/ beach. that we the last day we know we are not going to "miss" the boat back to home..

im sure those on the boards would disagree but we priced out various trips and it was worth it to book what we did.

Bermuda is a super easy to do on your own. You dont have to conform to time restraints as with tours. Go on your own and save some money as well. The public bus is easy to find, they are all over the place.:)

We are only doing one traditional type excursion ( night glass bottom boat tour ). The rest of the time will just be public transportation. For our one excursion I found the the NCL price was slightly cheaper than booking direct so I figure I would go with that unless there is another reason to be booking direct.

Archived