Liberty Western Med - a few newbie questions

Hi Everyone :)

Not long until we go on our first ever cruise!

I have been researching but I can't find info on these queries or that the info is conflicting. Have found this fab board and hoping you mind enlighten me :) ...

We have booked an inside cabin but as we get closer to the time I am wondering if I will cope with no natural light, if our funds permit, when we are boarding can you pay to upgrade then? Or is it really expensive at that point?

Are there tea/coffee making facilities in the cabin?

Can we bring some bottles of water on boarding and at each port? (reading conflicting info on this)

Dis embarkation, we have an early flight out of Barcelona, can we just up and go when the ship docks, what happens to our cases when we leave them out the night before? (we are planning to get a taxi to airport - mad?)

Any advice would be really appreciated :) We are so looking forward to our long awaited holiday!

Thanks a lot :)

IF there are outside cabins avail., you may upgrade....no telling what the going price will be. If you can upgrade now, I would do it now.

Room service is avail...for coffee and tea, so you won't need to make your own. Just call...they deliver! No charge for the food or coffee/tea, but a small tip is appreciated.

They really don't care about non-alcoholic beverages, even tho they say you can't bring them....so a small amount is unlikely to get confiscated.

If you put your luggage in the hallway the last night, you will be assigned a time to get off the ship and pick up your luggage. If you can carry EVERYTHING yourself, don't put your bags out, and you can leave anytime you want, after the ship has been cleared for departure.. There will be plenty of cabs at port...not "mad" at all!

We have booked an inside cabin but as we get closer to the time I am wondering if I will cope with no natural light, if our funds permit, when we are boarding can you pay to upgrade then? Or is it really expensive at that point?

Upgrades at the port are typically not available. If you are thinking of upgrading, start doing mock bookings for upgraded cabins about a month or two away from your sail date. If the sales are slow for your cruise, they may start to drop the prices on the better cabins at that point. Even though it is after your final payment date, you can call and upgrade to a better stateroom as long as you are paying at least $1 more for it.

On a recent cruise, we booked an inside cabin. At the time we booked, oceanviews were going for about $150 more per person. About a month out from our embarkation date, they dropped the prices on our cruise. We ended up paying $10 more per person to go from an inside to an oceanview.

Hi Shutterbug, greetings from "next door"!!

I don't think an inside cabin is a problem re - natural light, but I had an e-mail from RCI this week with special European offers, and if your Liberty sailing is on that list, you might be lucky.

If you booked your cruise through a travel agent, it might be an idea to contact them, if through the cruise line, you could ring them after trying a few 'mock' bookings online.

Unfortunately, the booking terms and conditions are very different on this side of the Atlantic, so perks like penalty free cancellation and refunds or OBC in respect of price drops don't apply to us unfortunately.

You don't clarify what 'early' is, personally I'd be very wary of booking a flight before 11am, Zeke's advice about pre-booking a cab is good. There is an option to take your own luggage off the ship which you could consider.

I presume you've joined your roll call and registered for the Meet and Mingle - In my experience, joining Cruise Critic is a wonderful introduction to a fantastic way to travel.

Are there tea/coffee making facilities in the cabin?

Can we bring some bottles of water on boarding and at each port? (reading conflicting info on this)

Dis embarkation, we have an early flight out of Barcelona, can we just up and go when the ship docks, what happens to our cases when we leave them out the night before? (we are planning to get a taxi to airport - mad?)

Did this cruise last week.

No tea/coffee in the cabin and icebucket was only on request

No idea about water but carried on 2 bottles of wine despite there still being large sign when you boarded advising that wine would be confiscated.

We walked off with our luggage at 7:30 and were checked in at the airport in the BA lounge by 8;05 - in plenty of time for our 10;30 flight.

Thanks everyone for the replies, much appreciated!

I have found out today (after reading your tips about mock bookings!) that we can 'upgrade' to OV Guaranteed for no extra cost (it's actually cheaper than what we paid!). We are currently inside on deck 8 and most likely the OV would be deck 2 or 3, but to be honest I think I would sacrifice the deck for the natural light. I will know more tomorrow afternoon if it is possible when my TA confirms.

Our check in opens at 9.10am, flight at 11.10am. We would manage ok with our cases and hand luggage ourselves off the ship, that is good to know as I didn't realise you could do that. Will also look at the private transfer. If we miss the flight we will have a day in the airport :eek: LOL as that is the only Belfast flight with Easyjet that day.

We are spending 4 days in Barcelona prior to cruise so is there a bus that goes from around Plaça de Catalunya area to the port? Or should we just get a taxi?

Hi Madra2112! We go to Donegal regularly, hello from Belfast :) Yes we have signed up to the meet & mingle, hope enough people sign up so it happens :)

Little Britain, that is good to know you made those times to the airport!

thanks again everyone, these boards are great for info, especially for us newbies to cruising :)

We are spending 4 days in Barcelona prior to cruise so is there a bus that goes from around Plaça de Catalunya area to the port? Or should we just get a taxi?

Taxi is easiest - there is the port bus but that goes from the statue of Columbus but this is at the other end of Ramblas to Plaça de Catalunya. Not worth dragging your cases down all that way just to save a few quid IMO.

The ship is easy to spot....!

lb4-M.jpg

Thanks everyone for the replies, much appreciated!

I have found out today (after reading your tips about mock bookings!) that we can 'upgrade' to OV Guaranteed for no extra cost (it's actually cheaper than what we paid!). We are currently inside on deck 8 and most likely the OV would be deck 2 or 3, but to be honest I think I would sacrifice the deck for the natural light. I will know more tomorrow afternoon if it is possible when my TA confirms.

Our check in opens at 9.10am, flight at 11.10am. We would manage ok with our cases and hand luggage ourselves off the ship, that is good to know as I didn't realise you could do that. Will also look at the private transfer. If we miss the flight we will have a day in the airport :eek: LOL as that is the only Belfast flight with Easyjet that day.

Hi Madra2112! We go to Donegal regularly, hello from Belfast :) Yes we have signed up to the meet & mingle, hope enough people sign up so it happens :)

Little Britain, that is good to know you made those times to the airport!

thanks again everyone, these boards are great for info, especially for us newbies to cruising :)

HI Shutterbug!

When is your cruise? We are sailing May 26th! We are also staying around Placa de Cataluyna. We have decided to just take a taxi to the port because of our luggage..I do know that you can take the Metro from Placa Cataluyna to the Metro stop ( Drassanes) and then catch the shuttle bus at the Columbus Monument to the port. ( A few euros)..This would be a good deal if you dont have alot of luggage.

Hi hipster1 ! Our cruise is 9th June! We both cannot wait, i've been at redundancy risk in work so we haven't had a holiday in a few years, finally said stuff it and booked the cruise :)

Just seen the photo little Britain! It's a bit small ;) lol The small portholes, is that deck 2 and the slightly larger ones above deck 3?

Hi hipster1 ! Our cruise is 9th June! We both cannot wait, i've been at redundancy risk in work so we haven't had a holiday in a few years, finally said stuff it and booked the cruise :)

Just seen the photo little Britain! It's a bit small ;) lol The small portholes, is that deck 2 and the slightly larger ones above deck 3?

HI! Ha, I see Little Brittain answered the question about transportation!! Least we are on the same page :) Good for you and booking the cruise. Always nice to take a holiday....

Yes,the little portholes are deck 2 :cool:

HI! Ha, I see Little Brittain answered the question about transportation!! Least we are on the same page :) Good for you and booking the cruise. Always nice to take a holiday....

Yes,the little portholes are deck 2 :cool:

I like the sound of the taxi too ;)

Totally stupid question time... why are they smaller, are the cabins not the same size? Any particular reason? :o

I like the sound of the taxi too ;)

Totally stupid question time... why are they smaller, are the cabins not the same size? Any particular reason? :o

That's a really good question!! I have no idea!!!:p the cabins "should" be the same size.

LOL glad to know i'm not totally mad then! ;) Must just be different grades of cabins.

You are not mad!! :) I am sure someone on here will know the answer!!

What hotel are you staying at? We are booked at Hotel Atlantis a few blocks from Placa Cataluyna...

You are not mad!! :) I am sure someone on here will know the answer!!

What hotel are you staying at? We are booked at Hotel Atlantis a few blocks from Placa Cataluyna...

We decided to book an apartment this time in Barcelona (been twice before), handy to have laundry facilities before we board the ship ;)

We decided to book an apartment this time in Barcelona (been twice before), handy to have laundry facilities before we board the ship ;)

OH thats nice! We have been to Barcelona as well so we are only coming in the day before from Paris. We decided to spend a week in France before our cruise.

OH thats nice! We have been to Barcelona as well so we are only coming in the day before from Paris. We decided to spend a week in France before our cruise.

Oh that will be really lovely :) love France, our last holiday was to Nice - beautiful along the cote d'azur!

Oh that will be really lovely :) love France, our last holiday was to Nice - beautiful along the cote d'azur!

Yes, this will be my first time to France. We are going to tour the Loire Valley before we hit Paris. Will you be touring Nice again on this cruise???

Yes, this will be my first time to France. We are going to tour the Loire Valley before we hit Paris. Will you be touring Nice again on this cruise???

No, our plan is to stay aboard that day :) We spent a week a few years back exploring that area, so we're happy enough to stay onboard. Make sure you go to Eze, beautiful village :)

No, our plan is to stay aboard that day :) We spent a week a few years back exploring that area, so we're happy enough to stay onboard. Make sure you go to Eze, beautiful village :)

OH .You will love the Liberty. ( and have the ship to yourselves! ) Hopefully you have nice weather to sit out at one of the decks and relax with a drink in your hand!:p We have a private tour with 2 other couples for that day, and I am pretty sure we will be visiting Eze..

Did this cruise last week.

No tea/coffee in the cabin and icebucket was only on request

No idea about water but carried on 2 bottles of wine despite there still being large sign when you boarded advising that wine would be confiscated.

We walked off with our luggage at 7:30 and were checked in at the airport in the BA lounge by 8;05 - in plenty of time for our 10;30 flight.

just came off the LOS yesterday and there was a kettle / coffee maker in our cabin.

You get them in JS or higher or if the ship is sailing from the UK in every cabin.

Thanks Saw777, JS or above, we wish! but thats good info for others thanks :)

Hipster1 The private tour will be fab, you must let me know what you think of that area :)

We have changed our cabin to OV guaranteed, it could be on deck 2 or 3 but tbh we don't mind. Will hopefully know in next few weeks what cabin. Best of all it was cheaper, so we are getting some money back :)

Archived