Using the ships laundry's

ncshp955

I have never used the ships laundry before and was wondering if you sent out your dress clothes just to be pressed, do they come back on hangers or just folded? I would think it would defeat the purpose if they came back folded but just don't know.

Ive never sent mine out. I just go to the laundry room and use the irons they have there. ;) But I've seen formal clothes going to people's rooms on hangers just like from a dry cleaners. But I would just save the money and press them myself. Im sure the ship charges a pretty penny for that. It seems like a waste when you can go to the self serve laundry room and do it yourself. But that's just me.

Ive never sent mine out. I just go to the laundry room and use the irons they have there. ;) But I've seen formal clothes going to people's rooms on hangers just like from a dry cleaners. But I would just save the money and press them myself. Im sure the ship charges a pretty penny for that. It seems like a waste when you can go to the self serve laundry room and do it yourself. But that's just me.

That is what I have always done in the past also but was thinking of that just one time I would like to have that time to do something else, but then would be really upset if they just came back folded and I would still have the creases in them. This is one cruise I would rather have a drink in my hand instead of an iron.:D By the way, thanks for the info about the hangers.

We were on a 12 day on the Breeze last summer, so lots of people were doing laundry. There was always a line up, and it cost $7.00/load (3.50/wash and dry), so we opted to use the ships laundry. They offered a special where it was $15 for all you could fit in a paper bag. We rolled those clothes and packed them in so tight that they came back in 3 separate bags (folded and not ironed) so we figure it didn't cost much more (if at all) than self serve and we didn't have to waste several hours waiting in line and doing laundry.

I don't know if they offer the special on all cruises, but I would definitely take advantage of it if they did.

We were on a 12 day on the Breeze last summer, so lots of people were doing laundry. There was always a line up, and it cost $7.00/load (3.50/wash and dry), so we opted to use the ships laundry. They offered a special where it was $15 for all you could fit in a paper bag. We rolled those clothes and packed them in so tight that they came back in 3 separate bags (folded and not ironed) so we figure it didn't cost much more (if at all) than self serve and we didn't have to waste several hours waiting in line and doing laundry.

I don't know if they offer the special on all cruises, but I would definitely take advantage of it if they did.

The special you describe is wash and fold service, and does not include hangers. There should be a paper list in the cabin drawer or hanging from the hanger in the closet with prices for the service that the OP described. I have only used the wash and fold too, as part of the free Platinum benefits, and would not send anything expensive. Wash and fold is fine for everyday shorts, jeans, etc. but is not suited for anything that shrinks or can't be easily replaced.

The special you describe is wash and fold service, and does not include hangers. There should be a paper list in the cabin drawer or hanging from the hanger in the closet with prices for the service that the OP described. I have only used the wash and fold too, as part of the free Platinum benefits, and would not send anything expensive. Wash and fold is fine for everyday shorts, jeans, etc. but is not suited for anything that shrinks or can't be easily replaced.

My mistake! I must have overlooked the part that says, "just to be pressed." :D

Speaking of laundry... we had a great cruise on the Carnival Breeze recently, and one of the many little things I noticed about the Breeze that was upgraded from other Carnival ships I've been on was the self-serve laundry. The cool thing is that you don't need coins at all. Everything... and I mean EVERYTHING, including purchasing the soap... goes on your sail-and-sign card. No need for coins at all. It was super convenient.

My one and only experience with using the Platinum benefit of the free wash-and-fold service was kind of a disappointment the one time I tried it (a year or two ago). They did a fine job... but it was literally 4 days from the time we gave it to them until the time we got it back. That was a big negative for us. Ever since then, we've stuck with the self-serve.

Not needing coins has really made it better!

(I'm just guessing that's a Carnival Breeze thing, and possibly the Magic and the Dream, too.) I doubt it's something they've retrofitted on the older ships... but that's just my guess.

There is a separate form to attach to the laundry bag for pressing and dry cleaning..we used this on the legend in march for my husbands dress shirts. I bring a steamer but I just can't be bothered doing his dress shirts. It cost $2 a shirt and they came back on a hanger and in a bag. They do not do same day service as they do with laundry so make sure you leave it 24 hours prior to needing them.

Speaking of laundry... we had a great cruise on the Carnival Breeze recently, and one of the many little things I noticed about the Breeze that was upgraded from other Carnival ships I've been on was the self-serve laundry. The cool thing is that you don't need coins at all. Everything... and I mean EVERYTHING, including purchasing the soap... goes on your sail-and-sign card. No need for coins at all. It was super convenient.

My one and only experience with using the Platinum benefit of the free wash-and-fold service was kind of a disappointment the one time I tried it (a year or two ago). They did a fine job... but it was literally 4 days from the time we gave it to them until the time we got it back. That was a big negative for us. Ever since then, we've stuck with the self-serve.

Not needing coins has really made it better!

(I'm just guessing that's a Carnival Breeze thing, and possibly the Magic and the Dream, too.) I doubt it's something they've retrofitted on the older ships... but that's just my guess.

Thanks for that info! Then I don't have to bring several pounds of quarters!

I also heard that the cabin safes don't need a magnetic strip, you just program a number of your choice.

My son's suit was clean but wrinkled, I sent it out to be pressed - gave it to the cabin steward right away since I believe elegant night was the 2nd night of the cruise. It came back looking great, on a hanger of course. Price was quite reasonable.

There is a separate form to attach to the laundry bag for pressing and dry cleaning..we used this on the legend in march for my husbands dress shirts. I bring a steamer but I just can't be bothered doing his dress shirts. It cost $2 a shirt and they came back on a hanger and in a bag. They do not do same day service as they do with laundry so make sure you leave it 24 hours prior to needing them.

Offtopic: Do you mind sharing what kind of a steamer you have and if you would buy that one again? Does it do a good job?

Offtopic: Do you mind sharing what kind of a steamer you have and if you would buy that one again? Does it do a good job?

Not at all!! I use the Joy Mangano travel steamer and absolutely love it!! It works really well. Steaming is not as fast as ironing but it does work and I have never had it confiscated from my suite case. Here is the link http://m.hsn.com/m/Product/6969057

Not at all!! I use the Joy Mangano travel steamer and absolutely love it!! It works really well. Steaming is not as fast as ironing but it does work and I have never had it confiscated from my suite case. Here is the link http://m.hsn.com/m/Product/6969057

I use an Oreck Steamer, and have not had any problem onboard with it, even when being noticed by the steward or maintenance. The irons in the laundry room often drip excessively, and are often more trouble than they're worth. I also use/spray Downey Wrinkle Release on all of the clothes I don't want to steam or iron, and place them in the closet to hang, and when I go to wear them, they're virtually wrinkly free.

I have had laundry done, and yes it's a little pricey but I'm on a cruise and the last thing that I want to be doing in sitting in the ship's "laundromat".

My husband had dress shirts laundered and pressed, and they came back on hangers. I don't remember if we indicated we wanted them on hangers or if it just came that way.

I have also noticed that each time I have cruised, about the 4th day they have that "All the clothes you can fit in the bag for $15" special.

• 4 weeks later...
I use an Oreck Steamer, and have not had any problem onboard with it, even when being noticed by the steward or maintenance. The irons in the laundry room often drip excessively, and are often more trouble than they're worth. I also use/spray Downey Wrinkle Release on all of the clothes I don't want to steam or iron, and place them in the closet to hang, and when I go to wear them, they're virtually wrinkly free.

I forgot to write that I pack everything that needs ironing or the formal wear in dry cleaner bags, and fold each item a specific way to avoid the wrinkles. Most of the time they require no action once unpacked. The washers and dryers work pretty well, but as you can see from above, the irons don't work to well.

No laundry mats on a cruise for us. We take cruises to get away from work.

I use to carry a garment bag. Now I fold my suite and put it in a piece of luggage. It comes out ok. No wrinkles.

We take two swim suites per person so we don’t put on a damp swim suit the next day.

If you need more hangers ask your cabin steward. They can get you more.

If you have an upper bunk in your cabin. You can lean the ladder against the wall over a towel. That will give you more places to hang wet clothes.

Speaking of hangers - how many are there in the closet in the staterooms? Will 3 people be able to hang up a significant amount of clothing?

I always take a lot of my things already on hangers so easy to unpack if in a suitcase I fold the hanger over or push down into the clothing saves time and there are never enough hangers

My son's suit was clean but wrinkled, I sent it out to be pressed - gave it to the cabin steward right away since I believe elegant night was the 2nd night of the cruise. It came back looking great, on a hanger of course. Price was quite reasonable.

Particularly for your formal night wear, the ship's laundry has dry cleaning, steaming, and even a device ( I forget what we called it) that is essentially a manikin that is size/shape adjustable by air, so that your dress can be put on it, it is adjusted so that it hangs right, and then the dress is steamed.

how do the crew look on formal nights? All very smart and pressed: I think you can trust them to treat your stuff the same way. Treat yourself, it is a vacation, lots of time to do laundry ourselves when not on vacation!

I always take a lot of my things already on hangers so easy to unpack if in a suitcase I fold the hanger over or push down into the clothing saves time and there are never enough hangers

We took a lot of our clothes on hangers also. There were definitely not enough hangers in the closets for the two of us. We hang most of our things. There isn't enough drawer/shelf space for me not to.

We did laundry on the 4th day of a 5 day cruise. I don't like packing dirty laundry, especially since we had an 18 hour drive home. We had 3 full loads (not those tiny paper bags, but actual FULL washer loads), and it only took an hour and a half. To me personally, that time was worth the savings over sending it out, plus worrying about my clothes in someone elses hands. :)

Archived