Anchorage or Fairbanks?

JPH814

For our pre-cruise trrip to Denali, Talkeetna, etc, it seems we could fly to Anchorage and round trip or we could fly to Fairbanks and work our way down. Does anyone have an opinion on the advantages/ disadvantages of either?

Thanks

It depends on how much time you have available, but a Fairbanks-Anchorage one-way with a rental car gives you far more options than other routes. The train is certainly the most limiting in terms of what you can do.

Murray

This is what I'd do -- If you have the time, fly into Anchorage and pick up a rental car there for a RT north, turning the car in at Anc after your trip. The rental cars and any supplies you need are likely to be much cheaper in Anc than further north in smaller towns.

Then to finish your trip off, take the Alaska RR RT to Seward. The scenery is beautiful.

I am a great advocate of Fairbanks touring but flights in and out of there are very limiting. I only fly there when staying there. :) Round trip Anchorage has way more options all the way around including rental cars. Only one way options that I know of are Avis and Thrifty?

With Fairbanks being only 350 miles from Anchorage if you want to go there, you can easily get there with a round trip Anchorage routing. But most important- budget TIME. It is the best priority I can give you.

Archived