Stars At Sea

fg_hb

Hello,

for the cruise on Queen Mary 2, Nov 6th from Hamburg to Oslo and back Cunard tries a new concept: With "Stars At Sea" a German Rock Star Peter Maffay will be aboard and will give 3 concerts and other workshops. For the cruise there will be no dresscode or as Cunard stated "jeans on". Please be aware about this if you want to book this cruise. There is a video from Cunard for the German market on Youtube (unfortunately in German). The link is

Frank

I'm only the herald and not responsible.

In February I watched a programme on BBC2 called "Funny Business" and the third programme in the series was called "Laughter at Sea". It was primarily about a comedian on a cruise ship but it covered many other aspects, ie, the programme started off showing clips of cruising from the past - to show how much things have changed. It also showed modern rock cruises which, incidentally, are sell outs, and there were interviews with the heads of three cruise lines although I can't remember which now. The cameras were also given access to the annual Cruise Conference. Anyhow, the upshot was that the cruise industry is still a growing one - it is already worth more than EVERY hotel and B&B in the UK put together! - and that research shows that 20 million people, who have never cruised, would like to try one. What rang very loud alarm bells with me was that the overwhelming majority of those "new cruisers" wanted a "casual experience" and so it was no surprise to me when, within weeks of watching the programme, Cunard announced the relaxation of their dress code. It is also no surprise that they are now catering to rock cruises. Sadly, having watched said programme, I can see that a relaxation in the dress code, and rock cruises, are where the new money is! I think if you Google "Funny Business Laughter at Sea" you can still view the programme via file sharing sites although I haven't done so myself as I'm not familiar with such sites but maybe some of you are and can advise on their safety before others try them. It was certainly a very interesting programme in understanding the direction cruise lines are going to have to take to access the new money. Clearly we are having to accept that we are in the minority on what we want on a cruise!

You are right, Happyboating, in saying that the cruise industry does not yet seem to be saturated. On the other hand the ships or rather the monsters that are actually built do best correspond to the demand of a majority.

:)

Actually, I think you need to Google "Funny Business Waves of Laughter" to access the programme, however, as I stated before, I'm not familiar with any of the file sharing sites and don't quite understand why they want people to give their credit cards details if they are free! It would be useful to know what sites others recommend though.

I'll join you! I just googled
and he's great. You're right, he would be perfect for any of the Cunard ships, although I imagine the Queens Room on QM2 would be the most appropriate location.
Max Raabe and Queen Mary 2 on a trans-atlantic crossing: A match made in heaven. Perfect.

When can I buy my ticket? Can you imagine the atmosphere in the Queens Room on a formal night... :) .

Actually, I think you need to Google "Funny Business Waves of Laughter" to access the programme, however, as I stated before, I'm not familiar with any of the file sharing sites and don't quite understand why they want people to give their credit cards details if they are free! It would be useful to know what sites others recommend though.

Thanks, but I don't have access neither on Google nor on Youtube (I'm living on the continent). It must be private undertakings if they ask your credit card data. Anyway, I very well understand you point and I share it.

I wonder whether it's possible to get more information from Cunard on the Stars at Sea Programme. So far, there is no mention in their 2014/15 programme, but maybe my information is incomplete. :confused:

Max Raabe and Queen Mary 2 on a trans-atlantic crossing: A match made in heaven. Perfect.

When can I buy my ticket? Can you imagine the atmosphere in the Queens Room on a formal night... :) .

Thanks, Pepper, it would be phantastic. As you may have seen from my earlier post, I have requested Max Raabe's agent whether there is interest from their side, so let's keep our finger's crossed! ;)

Greetings,

Cats2010 :)

Yes - lots of people in Hawkwind t-shirts chanting 'We want The Scorpions' :D

What are Hawkwinds T-shirts -- and who are the Scorpians???

Barry

Hi,

The Hawkwinds are a British heavy metal (?) band, so are the (German) Scorpions. The latter became quite well-known by their song "The Wind of Change", which had been composed and texted by the head of the group and can be regarded as a piece of music or hymn that accompanied and (maybe) symbolizes the events of 1989/1990, which ended up in the German unification.

The phrase "Wind of Change" goes back to a speech of H. MacMillan with which he meant the South African change of powers.

I hope it's well explained, since I am not a heavy metallist. :D

What are Hawkwinds T-shirts -- and who are the Scorpians???

Barry

http://www.hawkwind.com/

http://www.the-scorpions.com/english/

Let's hope that Gerald Tempest hasn't been looking at these links. If he has, heavy metal bands might indeed be playing in the Queens Room on formal nights! (By the way, does heavy metal have its own formal wear?)

Wow, that must have been a very expensive charter. When was that charter? Thanks -S.

Edited to add: Regarding charters on Cunard ships, see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1752082&highlight=charter Updated info appreciated.

Hi Salacia, Actually it was a 7 day Transatlantic by Atlantis/RSVP

Westbound October 1,2010 It was fully booked and waitlisted:):)

And did you enjoy that particular five day party cruise?

OPPS ,It was a 7 day Transatlantic,Southampton to New York . October 1,2010

As I told Salacia it was charted by Atlantis/RSVP:cool:

Yes I enjoyed "THAT PARTICULAR " 5 day party cruise,too:cool:

thanks for asking!!!

And did you enjoy that particular five day party cruise?

OPPS ,It was a 7 day Transatlantic,Southampton to New York . October 1,2010

As I told Salacia it was charted by Atlantis/RSVP:cool:

Yes I enjoyed "THAT PARTICULAR " 5 day party cruise,too:cool:

thanks for asking!!!

Hi Thaxted,

Thanks a lot, I am happy you like him too, and now let's hope for the best!

Greetings,

Hi Cats2010,

Although you don't have access to YouTube at the moment, you and other other fans might like to know that someone has already brought Max Raabe's music to Cunard, if ever so briefly. It's on this video clip of the Queen Victoria. There's a minute of Prokofiev's "Romeo and Juliet" and then the Palast Orchester takes over.

Here's hoping there will be more to come!

Hi Cats2010,

Although you don't have access to YouTube at the moment, you and other other fans might like to know that someone has already brought Max Raabe's music to Cunard, if ever so briefly. It's on this video clip of the Queen Victoria. There's a minute of Prokofiev's "Romeo and Juliet" and then the Palast Orchester takes over.

Here's hoping there will be more to come!

What a nice surprise on a Whitsunday morning, thank you so much, Thaxted! Your video reminds me of John Cranko's unique ballet version of 'Romeo and Juliet' ...

One should think that there is a world of difference between Prokoviev and the music of the 'Roaring twenties', but both fit very well with Queen Victoria.

And here are more news on Max Raabe. His homepage says he would be from April 2014.

Thank you again!

So would I! Can you imagine if you had booked expecting a normal Cunard voyage and didn't find out about the change until sailing? It could happen, Cunard isn't the best at communicating info about changes.
. What is a NORMAL CUNARD VOYAGE?

I would love to know. Pretty Please :confused:

. What is a NORMAL CUNARD VOYAGE?

I would love to know. Pretty Please :confused:

Hi turquoise,

This would be a pretty Cunard voyage WITHOUT noisy, aggressive, unmusical, ugly and old rockers and without being confronted with them the very last minute - at least for me :D

Regards,

I'll join you! I just googled
and he's great. You're right, he would be perfect for any of the Cunard ships, although I imagine the Queens Room on QM2 would be the most appropriate location.

Hi Whitemarsh, Dear Thaxted, Hello Pepper and Happyboating,

and Dear all,

Following my request I already received an answer this morning from Max Raabe's agency in Berlin, so I called and spoke to a Mr. Haase. He thinks that in principle it's a good idea and looks forward to receive a request from Cunard.

It might be wise not to wait too long to put forward (to Peter Shanks?) our request/proposal for the wonderful Max Raabe to appear on the wonderful Queens.

What do you think?

Regards,

Hi Whitemarsh, Dear Thaxted, Hello Pepper and Happyboating,

and Dear all,

Following my request I already received an answer this morning from Max Raabe's agency in Berlin, so I called and spoke to a Mr. Haase. He thinks that in principle it's a good idea and looks forward to receive a request from Cunard.

It might be wise not to wait too long to put forward (to Peter Shanks?) our request/proposal for the wonderful Max Raabe to appear on the wonderful Queens.

What do you think?

Regards,

I think that's a wonderful idea. I would like to suggest the QE world cruise, specifically the NYC to SYD sector as a suitable voyage.

Is there an email address we can write to? As in a specific entertainment one?

Hi turquoise,

This would be a pretty Cunard voyage WITHOUT noisy, aggressive, unmusical, ugly and old rockers and without being confronted with them the very last minute - at least for me :D

Regards,

Hi Cats, I understand what you are saying. Although I'v seen some passengers who meet that description .

My perfect voyage would be the perfect storm on the QM2,but only for a day:)

Cheers

I think that's a wonderful idea. I would like to suggest the QE world cruise, specifically the NYC to SYD sector as a suitable voyage.

Is there an email address we can write to? As in a specific entertainment one?

Thanks, Whitemarsh, here they are:

w.haase@palastorchester.de (I spoke to him)

office@palastorchester.de (general enquiries)

Tel. + 49 30 887 150 80

Fax + 49 30 887 145 61

Mr. Haase is something like an Office/Technical Manager of this, while Max Raabe himself is General Manager, together with Johannes Ernst. I suppose they are also legally/financially responsible, so most probably they have the last word to say when it comes to decisions on their tours.

The first hurdle to take is Mr. Haase and, although I am not a negotiator, I would suggest to remain on general terms at the moment, since we do not know Cunard's position.

On the other hand we can always suggest and see what happens from their side. So in addition to your proposal I suggest (for QM2) a transatlantic from Soton to NY, a short cruise from Hamburg to Soton or vice-versa, and another cruise from Soton to Northern Europe and/or Norway of about a week, which Mr. Haase seemed to like ;) :D.

What would still be missing now is a proposal for him on Queen Victoria. Who volunteers?

Thanks to everybody for their interest and thanks to you, Whitemarsh, for this wonderful idea. Let's keep the fingers crossed!

Hi Cats, I understand what you are saying. Although I'v seen some passengers who meet that description .

My perfect voyage would be the perfect storm on the QM2,but only for a day:)

Cheers

Hi turquoise,

I like your description of some of the passengers :D

A perfect storm of 2 days and nights I had on Queen Victoria in January 2011 :eek:, but since you prefer QM2, I suggest winter, autumn or spring, although one can never be sure as you know yourself. But there's hope: Climate change suggests that turbulences will increase in the future ...

Cheers,

Cats201 :)

I'm not sure what was had (and more than once) on QM2 during this charter voyage that you've alerted us to. But whatever it was, I hope you enjoyed it. ;)

Any truth to the rumours that a certain someone was the host of this charter voyage? In a very sexy turquoise number.... :D

i-RHwbqjh-L.jpg

Yes! I do like it,more BLUE IN THE TURQUOISE,BUT IT WORKS:p

Archived