Stars At Sea

fg_hb

Didn't Mel Brooks give him the role of the director of the musical Springtime for Hitler, in the Las Vegas production of The Producers? This is one of my favourite productions and I would love to be aboard the QM2 if The Hoff reprises this role.

The Producers is very funny. I saw that at QPAC with Moonface (aka Bert Newton). I didn't realise The Hoff did theatre work, was he any good do you know? Kelsey Grammer was very good in La Cage.

The Producers is very funny. I saw that at QPAC with Moonface (aka Bert Newton). I didn't realise The Hoff did theatre work, was he any good do you know? Kelsey Grammer was very good in La Cage.

In a typical Las Vegas style, the production was cut down to 90 minutes, but it apparently appealed to the masses. The Hoff seems to have done other theatre work, including as Frank N. Furter in the Rocky Horror Show.

Kelsey Grammer is always a marvellous film and television actor, but I have never had the pleasure of seeing him in theatre.

Perhaps we could send Cunard a list of "Stars at Sea" we would like to see on Q403.

Oh yes!! What a great idea.

I would like meet and attend lectures given by:

Helen Mirren

MEP Daniel Hannan

Lady Pamela Hicks

Karl Lagerfeld

To name just four. Yes, they are not all entertainment stars but I believe they would give interesting lectures nonetheless.

Helen Mirren

MEP Daniel Hannan

Lady Pamela Hicks

Karl Lagerfeld

To name just four. Yes, they are not all entertainment stars but I believe they would give interesting lectures nonetheless.

Karl Lagerfeld as a lecturer? Seriously? While he could no doubt hold an audience in thrall if he agreed for once to take off his dark glasses, I doubt if he could manage a speech of more than 60 seconds.

He's in Singapore at the moment opening a show for Chanel. One fashion reporter trying to get a few words from him said:-

When asked the night before the runway show why he chose Singapore, the master of the one-liner simply said, “Why not?” (My suggestion about world domination and a possible visit to Australia was met with a shrug of the shoulders. We’ll take that as a maybe.)

Karl Lagerfeld as a lecturer? Seriously? While he could no doubt hold an audience in thrall if he agreed for once to take off his dark glasses, I doubt if he could manage a speech of more than 60 seconds.

I saw a documentary on him once (I think it was called Lagerfeld Confidential) and he was quite verbal. I'm confident he could give a thirty minute speech if he wanted to.

He's in Singapore at the moment opening a show for Chanel. One fashion reporter trying to get a few words from him said:-

When asked the night before the runway show why he chose Singapore, the master of the one-liner simply said, “Why not?” (My suggestion about world domination and a possible visit to Australia was met with a shrug of the shoulders. We’ll take that as a maybe.)

I like that answer. Too often designers (and others in the creative industries) crap on about being inspired by this that and the other, when the truth is probably as mundane as the answer given by Lagerfeld - "Why not".

It's one of the reasons why I find him amusing and interesting, he doesn't give the expected responses that everyone else does.

Helen Mirren

MEP Daniel Hannan

Lady Pamela Hicks

Karl Lagerfeld

Don't know Mr. Hannan but the others would be interesting. Maybe John can add to out list.

Only just returned from a 14 day voyage on the QV. Whilst on board I went to see the Future Cruise team and showed an interest in a Queen Mary 2, 15 day voyage next August (2014). The sales person gave me some details and added " I have to warn you that the bulk of passengers on the cruise will be German and joining us in Hamburg", I replied that I had nothing against German cruisers and she replied, "No, but I have to warn you" !

Now then, a few days later the QV captain was on the stage in the theatre and was having a Q & A session with the cruise director and when asked what the current sate of the cruise market was for Cunard, he replied, "We're doing well in a very competitive market and in particular we are very popular with the Germans - they seem to like the Cunard brand".

Thought nothing of this, but having now read the threads above coupled with both the Future Cruise ladies and the Captains comments, it must put a seed into your head that as to whether or not Cunard are trying to penetrate the German market at the possible cost to the traditional loyal customer base that they have in the UK. I have noticed in next years's itineries the port of Hamburg seems to feature prominently.

May be nothing in this, and I appreciate that Cunard have to ensure that they sell their cruises to who they can, but any future sales focus should not be to the detriment of their existing customers.

It's one of the reasons why I find him amusing and interesting, he doesn't give the expected responses that everyone else does.

I am sure he is verbal when he wants to be, and he definitely does not give expected responses. For example:-

Karl On Dating In Russia

In his infamous interview with Metro, Karl put his foot in his mouth when talking about Russian men: "If I was a woman in Russia I would be a lesbian, as the men are very ugly. There are a few handsome ones, like Naomi Campbell's boyfriend, but there you see the most beautiful women and the most horrible men."

Karl On Japanese People

Karl opened up to Womens Wear Daily about Tokyo Fashion Week: "It's changed a lot but it's changed for the better I think. I noticed that people became bigger than before because now they eat more cake and sweets and things like this that they didn't do in the past. There's a real change in the look of the Japanese people. Normally, before, they were all tiny. It's the kind of beauty you get from junk food."

The latter comment about beauty and junk food is most definitely unique.

How popular is this 70s German pop star today? Would he be a big draw? I'm wondering how many will be willing to spend 740 Euros or more to see him.

Well, he is over 60 and most probably at the end of his career or not far from it. Some of these stars just cannot leave the stage when it's time; there is a discrepancy between their age and the type of music they play. The Rolling Stones are another example of this. Let's call it nostalgy.

Anyway, it is true that the whole idea is an complete rupture of Cunard's style, but maybe it's better that the fans stay amongst themselves - that is why this cruise has been organised. I just wonder who has brought up the idea. :eek:

Only just returned from a 14 day voyage on the QV. Whilst on board I went to see the Future Cruise team and showed an interest in a Queen Mary 2, 15 day voyage next August (2014). The sales person gave me some details and added " I have to warn you that the bulk of passengers on the cruise will be German and joining us in Hamburg", I replied that I had nothing against German cruisers and she replied, "No, but I have to warn you" !

It is interesting they are taking such care to warn potential passengers about these cruises. Unfortunately, this whole concept is increasingly starting to take the flavour of an episode of Fawlty Towers.

I am sure he is verbal when he wants to be, and he definitely does not give expected responses. For example:-

Karl On Dating In Russia

In his infamous interview with Metro, Karl put his foot in his mouth when talking about Russian men: "If I was a woman in Russia I would be a lesbian, as the men are very ugly. There are a few handsome ones, like Naomi Campbell's boyfriend, but there you see the most beautiful women and the most horrible men."

Karl On Japanese People

Karl opened up to Womens Wear Daily about Tokyo Fashion Week: "It's changed a lot but it's changed for the better I think. I noticed that people became bigger than before because now they eat more cake and sweets and things like this that they didn't do in the past. There's a real change in the look of the Japanese people. Normally, before, they were all tiny. It's the kind of beauty you get from junk food."

See, how could you not be enthralled by a Karl Lagerfeld lecture?

Ideally, we'd get a 30 minute lecture on reinventing & reinvigorating the house of Chanel, followed by a Q&A session where we'd get responses similar to the ones you've quoted. Magic....

Now then, a few days later the QV captain was on the stage in the theatre and was having a Q & A session with the cruise director and when asked what the current sate of the cruise market was for Cunard, he replied, "We're doing well in a very competitive market and in particular we are very popular with the Germans - they seem to like the Cunard brand".

Thought nothing of this, but having now read the threads above coupled with both the Future Cruise ladies and the Captains comments, it must put a seed into your head that as to whether or not Cunard are trying to penetrate the German market at the possible cost to the traditional loyal customer base that they have in the UK. I have noticed in next years's itineries the port of Hamburg seems to feature prominently.

May be nothing in this, and I appreciate that Cunard have to ensure that they sell their cruises to who they can, but any future sales focus should not be to the detriment of their existing customers.

Thanks for your comments, dajo. May I add that I think it's as simple as that: In general, Cunard corresponds to the demand of the market. I have noticed that in the past two years Germans represented about 1/3 of cruises to Northern Europe and Norway in particular, whereas most of the transatlantic passengers were anglophone.

:)

See, how could you not be enthralled by a Karl Lagerfeld lecture?

Ideally, we'd get a 30 minute lecture on reinventing & reinvigorating the house of Chanel, followed by a Q&A session where we'd get responses similar to the ones you've quoted. Magic....

True, but such comments may only appeal to a very limited audience, A.K.A. the Fashion Police. I do not think that the junk food eaters of the Kings Court, who you have written about so vividly, would be impressed.

More interesting, Karl recently caused a controversy when he stated that Jackie Kennedy's infamous pink Chanel suit was actually a copy. "It was a fake, a line-by-line copy by Cassini," said Lagerfeld. "She did have real Chanels, [but] her sister ordered them. We have all the proof.”

And who could resist these pronouncements by Karl on wealth?: “If you throw money out of the window throw it out with joy. Don’t say 'one shouldn’t do that' - that is bourgeois."

It is interesting they are taking such care to warn potential passengers about these cruises. Unfortunately, this whole concept is increasingly starting to take the flavour of an episode of Fawlty Towers.

I think this lady did what she was told to do, even though she could have done it in a more tactful way. However, once on the international stage, we are always confronted with different types of mentality/, culture which in the end, can also be an enrichment.

Karl On Dating In Russia

Karl On Japanese People

He is a bit cheeky, Karl Lagerfeld, and speaks rightout what he thinks. For some people this seems unwise, for others entertaining.

True, but such comments may only appeal to a very limited audience, A.K.A. the Fashion Police. I do not think that the junk food eaters of the Kings Court, who you have written about so vividly, would be impressed.

More interesting, Karl recently caused a controversy when he stated that Jackie Kennedy's infamous pink Chanel suit was actually a copy. "It was a fake, a line-by-line copy by Cassini," said Lagerfeld. "She did have real Chanels, [but] her sister ordered them. We have all the proof.”

And who could resist these pronouncements by Karl on wealth?: “If you throw money out of the window throw it out with joy. Don’t say 'one shouldn’t do that' - that is bourgeois."

Well it's about time they started scheduling lectures that appeal to a limited audience, as some of the lecturers (that apparently appeal to a wider audience) are kind of boring.

That information about Jackie's pink suit is stuff that audiences would lap up.

Perhaps we could send Cunard a list of "Stars at Sea" we would like to see on Q403.

I like the idea, even though I wonder whether it will be accepted :rolleyes: but it's nice to discuss it.

Once again I would like to plead for Max Raabe and his Palace Orchestra, which not many of this forum will know, even though he toured around the world. As I said before, he is QM2's perfect match: the combination of he ship's subtile art déco and chansons from the same period of time, presented with humour and dandy-like elegance.

:cool:

I like the idea, even though I wonder whether it will be accepted :rolleyes: but it's nice to discuss it.

Once again I would like to plead for Max Raabe and his Palace Orchestra, which not many of this forum will know, even though he toured around the world. As I said before, he is QM2's perfect match: the combination of he ship's subtile art déco and chansons from the same period of time, presented with humour and dandy-like elegance.

:cool:

I'll join you! I just googled

and he's great. You're right, he would be perfect for any of the Cunard ships, although I imagine the Queens Room on QM2 would be the most appropriate location.

and he's great. You're right, he would be perfect for any of the Cunard ships, although I imagine the Queens Room on QM2 would be the most appropriate location.

Great, Whitemarsh, thanks!

it must put a seed into your head that as to whether or not Cunard are trying to penetrate the German market at the possible cost to the traditional loyal customer base that they have in the UK.

Being German I unfortunately need to add that it looks like Cunard is trying to penetrate just a different market than before at the possible cost to the traditional loyal customer base that they have in Germany, too.

Cuand always has been quite popular with Germans. I am talking about the traditional Cunard which had many loyal customers coming back again and again for the particular Cunard style. I know several Germans who abandoned Cunard after the dismissal of the QE2, and now there there are many more who are disappointed by the new low for example reached with the downgraded "dress code".

It is not only only this particular "star at sea" but also most of the German speaking lectures brought on board for cruises from Hamburg do not appeal to the traditional German passenger.

I agree. Unfortunately the current focus seems to be totally on "new customers" i.e. the ones found on every other ship, too.

Being German I unfortunately need to add that it looks like Cunard is trying to penetrate just a different market than before at the possible cost to the traditional loyal customer base that they have in Germany, too.

Cuand always has been quite popular with Germans. I am talking about the traditional Cunard which had many loyal customers coming back again and again for the particular Cunard style. I know several Germans who abandoned Cunard after the dismissal of the QE2, and now there there are many more who are disappointed by the new low for example reached with the downgraded "dress code".

It is not only only this particular "star at sea" but also most of the German speaking lectures brought on board for cruises from Hamburg do not appeal to the traditional German passenger.

I agree. Unfortunately the current focus seems to be totally on "new customers" i.e. the ones found on every other ship, too.

I completely agree with you, however, the German lecturers you mention and whose quality you question I have never met on any of my cruises in the past. I think German speaking lecturers are invited only for those cruises that represent a large participation of Germans (to Northern Europe, for instance).

Anyway, each cruise is different and I think this is how Cunard approaches them, but in principle you are right (or rather I hope you are not!) that there seems to be a down-grading in order to appeal to the majority of passengers.

On the other hand we should not panic just because the dress code has been lowered and some old Rocker has been chosen to appear as a star.

To my knowledge at the moment this is just one example of the new programme called Stars at Sea. If it is not successful, they will most probably not have a second one of this kind. :eek:

Hi Whitemarsh,

I have just sent an email to his agency to find out whether there would be interest from his side :cool: and hope to receive an answer. Maybe we can help to upgrade things a little bit :D.

Cats2010 :)

Hi Whitemarsh,

I have just sent an email to his agency to find out whether there would be interest from his side :cool: and hope to receive an answer. Maybe we can help to upgrade things a little bit :D.

Thanks so much Cats2010. I'm watching one of his Youtube videos even as I write, and I agree with you and Whitemarsh; he and his orchestra are nothing short of wunderbar. Here's hoping that he's interested and that Cunard is interested as well.

Thanks so much Cats2010. I'm watching one of his Youtube videos even as I write, and I agree with you and Whitemarsh; he and his orchestra are nothing short of wunderbar. Here's hoping that he's interested and that Cunard is interested as well.

Hi Thaxted,

Thanks a lot, I am happy you like him too, and now let's hope for the best!

Greetings,

Archived