Some ideas for NCL!

DMLyons

We were brainstorming the other night and came up with a couple of possible things that would highly improve the experience for some people, especially those flying in to the cruise port and/or coming aboard for a special event/conference.

The first would be a proper package catch at the ship, as we use at hotels. One of the limiting factors for those doing a conference aboard is that many of us ship (usually by UPS) our materials. When I talked to NCL about how to go about a package catch, I was told this was not possible, and I would have to hand carry everything with me or come in a day early, do the package catch at the hotel, and then hand-carry everything with me from the hotel. Either way, it's not ideal and will seriously make those planning conferences think twice about using a cruise ship to do so. NOTE: If the information I was given was incorrect, the NCL staff should be better educated, and the site should cover it, since people wanting to do events or conferences aboard a ship is not uncommon.

The other would definitely help families traveling and those flying in. In the US (at least...I don't know about overseas), many big cities have grocery run services. If NCL were to partner with those services, they could have a "menu" of things like non-Pepsi-brand sodas, juice, snacks for children, etc. People could place their orders online or by email, much as they order Bon Voyage gift items. They would have a confirmation that would be double checked at check-in, their order would be processed, and the entire order (for all rooms) could be delivered to the ship, with the individual orders (in boxes) marked for NCL with the room numbers of passengers. Obviously non-allowed items like liquor and beer would not be available on the menu. The pros? NCL could charge a bit of a premium over the price the grocery service charges and make money there...and they get goodwill and a name for service with passengers, since passengers can have what they want aboard without searching for a close grocery story between the airport or train and the port. The cons? Well, I don't really see many, since you'll have the same trash problems with people carrying these items aboard with them as you would if they were delivered to the ship by someone else. Since the boxes would be delivered with the luggage, it really doesn't matter whether the person carries those boxes/extra suitcases with them to the port or has them delivered by the grocery company to the same. Overall, this is a win, win with no really pressing down side.

Oh...and a third... I've heard reports of people who (for instance) checked a case of water or soda aboard with the porters and found, when they got to their rooms after luggage delivery, that someone had stolen water or soda from their shipment. THIS is unconscionable and leads me to ask...WHY is the luggage left in the hall in the first place? Because it's faster? Not a good reason. If the room has a "do not disturb" sign up, obviously there's not much choice but to do so, but if the sign is not up, it should be placed inside the cabin, IMO. It's a matter of security, if not passenger comfort level with the experience.

DML

The "package catch" idea is good. However, when packages are delivered, the ship most likely won't be there. Therefore, the package catch would have to be part of the port authority and that would entail labor and space that someone would have to pay for. If it did not work, I am sure NCL would be blamed for it...an exposure that they may not want.

Another roadblock would be security and coordinating a way that boxes could be processed through security. If processed through passenger luggage, the boxes would have to be within size and weight limits. Of course, if you brought these materials with you, the same restrictions would apply.

It would seem to me that the conference sponsor/organizer needs to come up with the solution, not the attendees. I am sure that NCL group event staff have a solution for this for the organizer. Are you sure that they do not??

As a past event planner, I would be VERY nervous about some service delivering stuff to the ship. I guess if you had a LARGE amount, you would need to go this route. So many issues with the ship not being there until 7am on teh day of departure. Lots of issues.

Grocery run? Sure sounds nice, but I see that as another major logistical nightmare. When you think about what takes place on the day a ship comes in, and leaves. 3-4000 people leave, with their stuff. Messes left behind.

Turn over all cabins.

Certain number of staff leave (job change, vacation, etc). Another group of new staff come aboard.

Food for 4,000 people for a week gets loaded. Trash from the past week gets offloaded.

3,000 new people come aboard. Thousands of suitcases,bags, etc.

Welcome aboard notices, OBC, etc get delivered to thousands of staterooms. All rooms cleaned, new bedding, dishes, etc.

Customs, immigration, various inspections, legal, medical issues.

All of this takes place in about 10 hours.

Totally amazing.

Pepsi probably wouldn't be any too pleased to discover their contract with NCL was being violated by the sanctioned sale of competing products. Just sayin'...

Since we can bring them aboard anyway, they can suck it up. As long as NCL themselves aren't stocking them to sell, Pepsi shouldn't have jack to say about it.

DML

It would seem to me that the conference sponsor/organizer needs to come up with the solution, not the attendees. I am sure that NCL group event staff have a solution for this for the organizer. Are you sure that they do not??

The problem is that many conventions I attend travel around, and the organizers are not on site either. There are a few, like DragonCon, that are the same place every single year and have the benefit of someone on site who can catch packages, but most of them don't follow that route. Making the organizers book a hotel in town even earlier than they already would to arrange things just makes them less likely to use this option. That's a shame, because several of them discuss every few years doing a conference aboard ship, but the cruise lines seem to make it more difficult to work out a solution.

If they do already have a solution, why did the person I talked to not point that out? I contacted NCL via the main line. They put me in touch with headquarters. HQ said it was not possible. Usually, I consider that the final word. People who want business typically make every effort to put you in touch with the correct information and the correct departments.

DML

As a past event planner, I would be VERY nervous about some service delivering stuff to the ship. I guess if you had a LARGE amount, you would need to go this route. So many issues with the ship not being there until 7am on teh day of departure. Lots of issues.

Yes, there are issues, but they are not insurmountable. Having planned and hosted four conferences for worldwide groups, I KNOW it's par for the course for the attendees to have to send stuff ahead to a package catch and even ship things out afterward (usually via UPS). At the latest convention I ATTENDED (not even one I was throwing), I had to package catch 9 boxes. At the last convention I hosted, I had to package catch a dozen and a half, one of the staff had to catch eight for her presentation, and attendees had to do whatever they needed for their own.

I KNOW what happens every week, and that's stellar. But that doesn't preclude this option plan. If you think about it, the stuff has to get aboard somehow, and yes...as someone noted, it would have to follow the same size and weight requirements everything else brought aboard does...and go through security. But it would have to do that if I brought it in a duffel bag or shipped a box ahead.

DML

Since we can bring them aboard anyway, they can such it up. As long as NCL themselves aren't stocking them to sell, Pepsi shouldn't have jack to say about it.

DML

They have everything to say about if as you suggested NCL makes a profit on it. Not sure why they would give up a huge profit for soda sold onboard for a minimal service charge. I know what you are thinking passengers are bringing coke products onboard but why should NCL make it easier for them :confused:

As far as water getting stolen they have solved that problem in most ports. You can not check a case of water. You want it that bad haul it onboard.

All your ideas are good but the problem with getting them implemented is they create more work for the cruise line and generate little or no revenue.

All your ideas are good but the problem with getting them implemented is they create more work for the cruise line and generate little or no revenue.

EXACTLY!

One component that is often missing from people's ideas is the business logic of how that idea benefits the company's stockholders. People have to realize that there are other considerations at play over and above making things convienent for a small minority.

They have everything to say about if as you suggested NCL makes a profit on it. Not sure why they would give up a huge profit for soda sold onboard for a minimal service charge. I know what you are thinking passengers are bringing coke products onboard but why should NCL make it easier for them :confused:

ONLY if the menu says "Coke". If it says something like "soda (name brand/type)", they have nothing to complain about. Honestly, supplier contracts normally say you can't ADVERTISE or STOCK other brands, but how NCL makes money from other deals is none of a supplier's business. You would have to be exceedingly shortsighted to make a contract that gives a supplier control over your business choices.

And B...because someone who hates Pepsi products aren't going to drink them, just because they are the only thing aboard. Someone who prefers one or the other might settle for the opposite, but if you don't like one brand in particular, you won't drink it. Passengers will bring their own aboard (I know I do, and anyone who hangs out on CC for any period of time will see others asking where they can purchase soda near the pier, so I'm hardly the only one), as passengers do now, or they'll look elsewhere for a cruise or skip drinking soda completely for a week, if it's outlawed.

Basically, NCL sucks up the expense of having to process this all aboard ship now with no returns save in customer satisfaction. At least this way, they make money BACK on people wanting to bring their own aboard and at the same time increase customer satisfaction. Is it worth their while? It's at least worth checking into.

On a related note, I can't BELIEVE the price they are charging for diaper wipes. Anyone buys them from NCL at that price?

DML

disagree with most of your points.. How much longer would it take the state room guys to open each door and place the luggage in your room.. very time consuming.. 4 cruisers never had anything go missing in my checked luggage.. So im okay with my luggage being left outside my door..

Pretty much you are wanting the local pizza place or walmart to run a delivery service to each ship? No thanks would be a night mare.. Plus If you wanna take some snack onboard you can I take a case of coke and some snacks when i go.. But the ship has all the food you can imagine.. Keep thinking

EXACTLY!

One component that is often missing from people's ideas is the business logic of how that idea benefits the company's stockholders. People have to realize that there are other considerations at play over and above making things convienent for a small minority.

Which I already covered. Basically, unless you're ON NCL's board, you have no say in what they might consider a valid idea or not. So your disregard is pointless. Have a great day.

Brenna

Maybe the best solution would be to have a large event planner work with NCL on some of these issues like delivery of conference materials. Food.drinks: no, that doesn't sound feasible because of the reasons given.

I don't quite understand your second two items.

On the first one, why would NCL help you to bring on board something (soda) that they make revenue on (to make up for the revenue and the cost of doing this, they would probably have to charge you $20 for a six pack). Since they allow you to bring it onboard, then it should be your responsibility to carry it with you. I see no reason why they should be involved in this. Also, they have enough snacks onboard that everyone should be satisfied.

On the second, basically the same answer as above. Why would NCL use their manpower to put your soda/water in your stateroom, when they are losing revenue by you bring it on board. If one is concerned that their water/soda will be stolen, then they should wait in their room with the door opened until it is delivered. Or carry it with you, like you would any valuable to you item.

BTW, I drink coke products, but when I go on a cruise or to a land restaurant that serves pepsi, I don't bring my own, I just drink what they have or drink something like iced tea.

If a land restaurant doesn't serve pepsi products, do you not go to that restaurant, bring your own pepsi or drink something else?

Which I already covered. Basically, unless you're ON NCL's board, you have no say in what they might consider a valid idea or not. So your disregard is pointless. Have a great day.

Brenna

As with any company, you have to be in a position to make decisions to be a decision maker. If not, you're just one of many with "ideas" that may or may not have merit. All I'm saying is that if you want to be taken seriously, you have to present your idea in a business format. Sure we know why YOU want it, but why would the COMPANY (IOW the stockholders) want it? How does it further the mission and goals of the company?

So you see the solution...get yourself a position on NCL's board. Obviously, since you are so well versed in cruise line operations, they would jump at the chance to have your insight as you know so much better how to run the cruise line than they do.

Makes you wonder why cruise lines hire seasoned executives instead of just letting Internet message board posters run the company. :rolleyes:

As with any company, you have to be in a position to make decisions to be a decision maker. If not, you're just one of many with "ideas" that may or may not have merit. All I'm saying is that if you want to be taken seriously, you have to present your idea in a business format. Sure we know why YOU want it, but why would the COMPANY (IOW the stockholders) want it? How does it further the mission and goals of the company?

So you see the solution...get yourself a position on NCL's board. Obviously, since you are so well versed in cruise line operations, they would jump at the chance to have your insight as you know so much better how to run the cruise line than they do.

Makes you wonder why cruise lines hire seasoned executives instead of just letting Internet message board posters run the company. :rolleyes:

You are so correct. If one wants their "ideas" to be taken seriously by a company, they should be together a plan with a cost analysis, to show them what kind of revenue it is going to garner. If it is a customer service/pr "idea" like the posters are, then a business plan with a cost analysis, showing how many additional customers they will garner from the "ideas". It is just Business 101.

Archived