NCL Breakaway - Balcony Cabin Pictorial

NCL Breakaway - Balcony Cabin Pictorial

We just returned from the May 12, 2013 sailing to Bermuda. Since there have been so many questions here about room features, I decided to post my cabin pictures separate from the Trip Review, to make searching easier for future cruisers.

We stayed in a Cat BC balcony on Deck 13, starboard aft. It has been a while since we sailed in a standard balcony, but, overall found the cabin to be just fine, with some new touches that took a bit getting used to.

The hallways are decorated in an understated manner, but thankfully, we still have fishes swimming forward (although now they are more like anchovies). No more twist-dial room status indicators; you have switches that turn on LEDs above your door to indicate Do Not Disturb or Make up Room.

8764686283_8b8030fe4d_b.jpg

The cabin is brightly colored and very minimalist in design. I liked the look and feel.

8764686155_8edaa52879_b.jpg

We have been used to staying in Minisuites (Jewel class) and immediately felt this cabin was very narrow. Over the course of the cruise, we became comfortable with the size, but I think it would be troublesome for more than a couple.

The TV is built into the wall, with a literature stowage just below it. You can see in the mirror that there is a similar stowage unit above the bed.

8764686269_b281d89b92_b.jpg

The bathroom was well designed... the shelving actually gave more storage room than we have seen in other cabins.

8767414466_44664e89cd_b.jpg

The typical shower

8767414416_a453d12e80_b.jpg

The closet had two sides; one for hanging, the other with shelves floor to ceiling. The hangers are the typical hotel-secure, with the loops retained and the hangers removable.

The life jackets no longer take up closet space; they are stowed in bins under the bed.

8764691889_1b030f1869_b.jpg

Many folks ask about the size of the safe... here it is at eye level in the closet

8767414888_4416405e38_b.jpg

8767414854_06f1a69d5f_b.jpg

This is the "desk" counter, just deep enough to hold a laptop. Not a lot of counter space.

There are several outlets at this location.

NOTE - I did not find any other outlets in the main part of the cabin

DOUBLE NOTE - the Breakaway uses the safe energy saving light control as the Epic. A card slot at the door entrance holds your room key and turns on all the lights. When you leave, and remove the card, the lights are shut in the cabin... AND SO IS POWER TO THE DESK OUTLETS! If you left devices charging while you were gone...they won't charge.

We used an old key card from a prior cruise to avoid this confusion.

8764686375_32abd017c5_b.jpg

Thank you we also have a BC cabin. It appears there is a very small night table next to the bed is that just a shelf or does it have a drawer under it?

On either side of the bed are small night stands, Ikea-style. They have 2 shelves and no drawers. They are not secured to the wall and are movable, for when they split the double bed into twins.

Below the counter are three cabinets..

One holds the fridge

8767414710_686d48e48b_b.jpg

The other two are for storage

8767414770_8f309ae74e_b.jpg

8767414374_46799b4a03_b.jpg

The hair dryer is secured below the "desk" counter

This also shows the hassock that sadly replaces the chair. It has a removable lid and can be used for extra storage.

8767414650_d2d5daeac8_b.jpg

8767414340_b6b71f1a96_b.jpg

8767414314_8587fa4daf_b.jpg

The coffee maker and ice bucket. The tray they are on takes up a good part of this counter area.

8767414264_d5b91e7f81_b.jpg

Under the couch are two large storage bins. One has extra bedding, the other is available for more storage. In our cabin, both bins had bedding, sheets, etc. We consolidated them to free up one bin for our use. I am sure the Room Steward would empty both for you if needed.

8767414952_5fc86f29e9_b.jpg

The desk phone is not hi-tech, but did the job.

8767414580_17af638dab_b.jpg

Thank you, she sure lacks storage/drawers, I so used to putting things in drawers but I make due. Where did you store your luggage?

Don't get me wrong... there was more than adequate storage. You just lose the drawer-concept. :p

We were able to stow three very large suitcases under the bed without any problem.

Thanks Ron. The hallway looks rather narrow too. Is that the case or optical illusion? On the other thread you mentioned your next July/August cruise. Have you booked it again?

Catherine

It did feel a bit narrower than other ships, but not so bad. I never felt housekeeping carts caused passage problems.

I referred to how the top decks might be more populated in the heat of Summer.

Nothing booked yet...but it is tempting :p

I had a similar cabin on the 11th deck. Your photos are great and covered the space well. Did you feel there were any issues with the closet being so close to the bed?

Wish you would have posted pre cruise photos, we missed the storage under the couch...

The balcony. Yes, it is small...and irritatingly so at first blush, but we found it useful, regardless of the size. just don't plan a cocktail party for your friends there.

8764686641_6ef53135bb_b.jpg

8767414536_e7c26a5a72_b.jpg

For this voyage, thi balcony cabin was just fine. The old cliche about only using your cabin to shower and sleep was so very true...between all the ship activities and parties, and the morning-to-evening time spent onshore in Bermuda.

On our next trip...and we will be returning to the Breakaway... I believe we will consider a larger cabin, though.

Hope this helps those who are waiting for their cruise date to come soon!

I had a similar cabin on the 11th deck. Your photos are great and covered the space well. Did you feel there were any issues with the closet being so close to the bed?

Wish you would have posted pre cruise photos, we missed the storage under the couch...

Yes, there was little squeeze room between the bed and the closet... certainly a comedy routine when my wife and I both needed to get something.

"Move!...Move! ...will ya?"

Best to do it one at a time.

Ron thank you when I wrote my last post it had to be the same time you posted the desk photos, there is plenty of space, like you said no drawers but shelves Im very happy as there is plenty of room. :)

The photos were extremely helpful in making me understand about the storage thank you so very much!

Edited by lyndamr

I felt the halls were rather narrow. My cabin steward said it is an issue with letting passengers pass by while they are in the hall with their carts. At times I had to duck into some doorways in order to let others pass. It is a real issues with wheel chair access as you have to move into a doorway to let them pass.

They key card and electric...yikes! I scared the heck out of myself one night while leaving the cabin by dropping the key card after removing it from the slot, left in the pitch dark and forgot the door opened outward. I was in panic mode for a few seconds until I remembered to open the door out towards the hallway. It made me think if there were an emergency would I remember to push the door versus pull the door. Old habits are very hard to break!

Ron thank you when I wrote my last post it had to be the same time you posted the desk photos, there is plenty of space, like you said no drawers but shelves Im very happy as there is plenty of room. :)

Just curious where did you keep your luggage?

Yes, we found the closet/cabinet space to be fine. That triangular cabinet held about 50 of my t-shirts (yes, we overpack). :o

We stowed three large suitcases under the bed with no problem.

And always remember the old over-packer's trick... use the suitcases as extra storage for clothes you have already worn. ;)

Computerworks: Thank you for taking time to post the very detailed pictures. We find them very helpful as we have a cabin booked in that area (13890) in September. Thanks again! :)

50 t shirts!! :eek: You too funny but its best to be safe than sorry I have to agree. I also pack a little extra maybe 2 days worth plus 2 blouses for the night and 3 extra for the day in case I need to change more often.

Our worn clothing we generally bring the plastic garbage bags and put it on the bottom shelf of the closet but now that you mention just put it in the luggage another good idea I just keep the plastic bag in the luggage maybe if I need the extra closet room. Great idea.

Computerworks: Thank you for taking time to post the very detailed pictures. We find them very helpful as we have a cabin booked in that area (13890) in September. Thanks again! :)

Great minds think alike! That was our cabin... 13890.

Great location, short walk to aft elevators. Ultra quiet with the hall dead ending aft.

We generally use an extra suite case for our already worn, dirty clothes. I usually tuck a dryer sheet in one of the pockets, to later place in the suit case to keep things fresh! :D

50 t shirts!! :eek: You too funny but its best to be safe than sorry I have to agree.

I am a t-shirt fanatic... drives my wife crazy.

I sort before we leave... tanks, workout sleeveless, ship shirts, destination shirts, car shirts, soccer shirts, sleepers....

Thank goodness she packs the rest; I would travel with one dress shirt and pants, shorts, a toothbrush and a suitcase full of tee's. :p

Edited by computerworks

My other half is a tee shirt person just like you. You too funny lol at least wife checks things out but I have to give my other half credit, he will pack pants and collared shirts for the dining room but of course right after dinner the first thing he has to do is get back into his shorts and tee shirt. Now that I think of it, he does go through 20 plus tees at least on a cruise, never actually counted how many he bought I think I do that when he packs this time. :D