Chair Hog Issue

dfhnis

We are on Constellation 2 July 05 in Baltic so we expect it to be quite cool with lots of spare chairs. Others have given examples of chair hogs but here is a new slant on it:

We are Brits and have cruised before twice on Thomson Emerald. The first time we were told that there were plenty of chairs available as Thomson had got a lot of extras. The previous year, we were told, people who managed to get chairs were taking them back to their cabins overnight and then bringing them up on deck again the next day!

Geoff

Has anyone ever moved stuff that they suspect is "chair hog" material and just sat down, then if the people do show up just apologize and move? I'm not advocating moving someone's purse, but a towel and dictionary seem pretty "non valuable"...then, if as you suspect, no one shows up, you've had your chair - and then just move the stuff back when you leave.

What do you all think if someone is sitting by the pool and laying in a chair, but saving the one next to them for someone who will be back in while? (not talking saving 5-10 chairs, just one)?

unfortunately, it takes the action of the pool butler. on my two cruises on HAL, the empty chairs were "refreshed" frequently...new towels and personal items placed on the deck next to the chairs (WHERE THE STUFF GETS WET!!).

chair hogs had to stay IN their chairs ;)

I don't know if this was done on purpose or not, but it happened over and over.

(and I was in the pool for an extended time and my spot was 'refreshed' also)

As several have mentioned, the "cubbyhole" solution would seem to be the simplest and fairest. Have a low bank of cubbyholes on each side of the ship, equal to the number of chairs in the area. If you leave your chair (for ANY reason) take your stuff to a cubbyhole, take a numbered tag and go about your business (pool, pool bar, lunch, back to the room, restaurant break, etc.) "Your" chair is then available for the next person. When you come back from doing things other than sitting in your chair, take your stuff out of the cubby, replace the numbered tag, and then take another empty chair.

There will probably always be chairs available if this were done. No one would have to stand, holding all their stuff, for 30 minutes or an hour waiting to see if someone was coming back to "their" chair, and no one would have to endure the unpleasantness of confronting a bullying chair hog or trying to defend one's equal right to use a chair.

If, by some chance, all of the chairs were being used, it would be just a matter of minutes until someone went into the pool, went to get a drink, or use the bathroom, and a chair would instantly be available.

This solution is so simple, and would solve the chair hog problem.

Allen

Yes, but then you don't get to meet random interesting people to talk to.

If everyone were just reasonable and considerate it would have never gotten to this point...why can't people just behave themselves? Why do they have to have this "it's my vacation I'm going to get every single thing *I* want out of it" attitude? Why don't people realize that the pool and pool chairs are a shared experience? Why don't people remember their kindergarten lessons about sharing?

I find chair hogging to be a sad reflection on the state of how people treat each other. The problem shouldn't even exist, but it does, and now Celebrity has to put delicately worded suggestions into their newsletter and butlers on HAL have to act as police men.

Ohhh, but I did just come up with an idea, although it is kind of snarky and basically fights rudeness with lesser rudeness. Print out a stack of cards with Celebrity's chair hogging policy on it. Walk the pool deck area and drop a card on every chair hog's chair. Some will realize they're being watched and will adjust their behavior accordingly. But sadly, the true hogs won't...they'll hear the announcement (our CD threw one in at Noon when he made his daily comments along with the Captain's position report) but they won't imagine that it applies to them. It's always someone else...the true chair hog always has a reason in their mind for why it doesn't apply to them..."I've been planning this vacation for too long to not get my choice of chairs every day." "I'm only saving it while I'm at breakfast and then I really will be there all day." "It's my wife's birthday and she deserves a good chair today." "No one will notice if I do it, it's those other people who are causing the problem."

Nothing like seeing grown adults act like spoiled teenagers because they think they've earned it or deserved it or are just plain insensitive to their fellow travellers.

People are right, this problem will never go away. It's too bad that people can't share and be nice to each other. I've found most people have been very kind to my husband and me. Thank you nice people.

Hi Everyone !

Sadly, this issue will probably NEVER go away. It would be nice if the Pool Attendents would be more proactive when they see chairs empty for hours at a time.

Also, while there simply cannot be enough chairs for everyone at the same time..... (especially on a Sea Day), it would be great, if newbuilds can add larger seating areas, to try and reduce the problem, even if slightly.

I've seen this same problem of chair hogging for many, many years at the race track. people put newspapers around the chair seats and never come back. it's just in case they want a seat. if I was lucky enough to find an uncovered seat, I would sit for an hour or more and never see anybody going to the hundreds of seats covered with the newspapers. and it's the equivalent of leaving laundry in a washing machine after the wash is completed for a very long time and not caring about the others who are waiting for a machine. these kind of people are everywhere, unfortunately.

I like the idea that another poster mentioned of "refreshing" seats as they do on HAL. and I don't think there's anything wrong with discrete plaques that remind passengers not to leave their seats unoccupied for longer than 20 or 30 minutes out of courtesy to other passengers who are waiting for a chair.

One more addition to my "cubbyhole" or "cube" idea. If someone puts their stuff on a chair anyway to hog it, just put their stuff in one of the empty cubes, or have the attendant do it. Then sit back and giggle as the chair hogs have to look through 100 cubes to find their stuff. The embarrassment of knowing everyone is looking at them in their chair hog glory will very quickly cure them.

The problem with the time-limit theories is that people will lie about when they left, or will return, and will try to bully their way back into the chair irregardless.

The cubbyhole or cube idea solves all of those awkward scenarios.

Allen

Life is way too short to waste this much energy focusing all your efforts on saving a chair, or policing those who do. Why do you want skin that looks like the fine corinthian leather from a '76 Chrysler, anyway?:eek:

Guess my impossibly fair skin is a blessing. A total non-issue for me, but I do support good manners and consideration of fellow passengers, so to help you all out, you'll find me sitting next to Phil and Slomo in the bar!:D (My skin doesn't get red, but my eyes might!;) )

Life is way too short to waste this much energy focusing all your efforts on saving a chair, or policing those who do. Why do you want skin that looks like the fine corinthian leather from a '76 Chrysler, anyway?:eek:

Guess my impossibly fair skin is a blessing. A total non-issue for me, but I do support good manners and consideration of fellow passengers, so to help you all out, you'll find me sitting next to Phil and Slomo in the bar!:D (My skin doesn't get red, but my eyes might!;) )

I will " reserve" you a bar stool:D but I can only hold it for 20 min.

Phil

Guess my impossibly fair skin is a blessing.

I'm the same way, and have recently had to start to have skin "thingies" removed, but I like to sit in the shade and read and have a few cold ones. Chair hogs even hog the chairs in the shade. Many have their stuff spread out on two sets of chairs, one set in the sun, and one set in the shade.... just in case.

Allen

Well, the solution is simple. All cruise lines need to operate the pool area like the dining room. When you show up at the "maitre´d towel's" desk, you are given your towel amd shown to your chair. Of course, there will be a new envelope to fill at the end of the cruise for the Matire'd towel, but ces't la vie!

:D

Aah, just join the gang at the bar- we won't bother you if you read, and we'll even let you put your feet up!:)

Did I ever tell the story about being in the Hot tub on a cruise ship at 4:00 a.m.? Apparently the crew wanted to clean, and we were in the way, so they "just happened" to start washing the smoke stack with icy cold water. It rained down on us as it bounced off the stack, so we made a hasty retreat. Maybe that's an idea for chair hogs! And if you planned it right, you could even call it a new spa treatment and charge 'em $85 bucks for it!

"Ice-o-Coldo-Hydro-No-Hoggo-the-Chairo-therapy!":D

Blazer always dresses nice and the pooch can come as he is, in my view there is no such thing as an under dressed dog.

Phil

If you're having trouble telling them apart, Hubble the Wonderdog is the one in the tuxedo. My pet, Kneehump the Wonderdog, prefers to wear wife-beaters with a backwards "gimme" cap.

Allen

If you're having trouble telling them apart' date=' Hubble the Wonderdog is the one in the tuxedo. My pet, Kneehump the Wonderdog, prefers to wear wife-beaters with a backwards "gimme" cap.

Allen[/quote']

Thanks for the heads up on telling them apart, but what in the world is wife-beaters????????

Phil

Archived