My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Hi all!

Ron ~ thanks for the help re tags.:D I'm considering paying extra for seats near the front of the plane so we can get off before the majority of people, get through that very long line at the airport & get a cab before the transfer bus leaves. Fingers crossed we manage this.

I get your point re the meet up but with people getting on at 2 places it makes it hard since for example I'll only have the Cienfuegos (probably a busy day) & the beach days before burm & Kerri get off (assuming you can get burm out of your cabin).;)

crzy ~ we're in the same boat too as we fly in & out the day of the cruise so are at Transat & the weather's mercy. I didn't do the Santiago excursion as I've been there a couple of times before but did do the Cuba Life one which I highly recommend.

p59878 ~ list looks good to me! Did you book your transfer with the ship?

What did you decide on in Cienfuegos? I'll have to get cracking on my trip insurance but it's such a hassle. I have medical through my plan but like to get an annual policy with cancellation etc.

When I called the Tourist Bureau the other day I asked the lady if anything had changed with the US $$ exchange penalty now that they're accepting US cards but she said no.

Today when checking the cabin availability our week has 1/2 the cabins available than the cruise before (34 vs 68). That's going to make a big difference from last year's cruise with only 300 pax!:eek:

Have a great day! Some of you lucky people are getting so close to Your Cuba cruise!!

~ Jo ~ :)

Let's say I bought Canadian with $100 US. Today I could get

$124.252. Only $117.02 at Bank of America. Trading $100 US

for CUC I would get 90 CUC. Trading Canadian $117.02 less

25% (??) I would get 88 CUC. All numbers approx.

Just about a wash I think. Is the 25% legit ? I think the

Canadian $ is at about 0.80 cents as I type. Of course I am

talking about much more than $100 US.

As difficult as it seems, and it is, I came across this site for the routes of the HOHO bus in Havana. When you open the site there will be a map that you can manipulate zooming in and out to get a better idea of stops. They are colour coded although it is suggested that lines T1 and T2 may now be combined into one. Flags are used to locate the connecting points of two lines. There is a stop very near the Cruise port but by zooming in you will see the actual location. Problem is I can't print this map so the rest is up to you.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=z2Q-HEU1uk7Y.kE3zxdA1kLr8&msa=0&ll=23.133414,-82.22168&spn=0.269622,0.352936

Let's say I bought Canadian with $100 US. Today ....

Provided that the Cuban authorities follow the international exchange rates, when you convert one US dollar into one CDN dollar you will then be able to buy one CUC with whatever CDN you received. You can purchase one CUC with the US dollar but there will be a 10% penalty (if still applicable)

When we speak of exchange rates we refer to what it costs us in Canada to purchase one US dollar and at the current rate of exchange it now costs of $1.25 CDN for each US dollar.

Hi All

Since there is no Roll-call for my departure, I'm going to post this here.

We have booked a taxi from Montego Bay - Negril - return on February 20.

If anyone is interested in sharing let me know. It's going to run $130.00 U.S.

Thanks

Marc C.

Question: Do you think the Cuban guides on our ship's tours would accept US dollars? That would eliminate the exchange process.

Yes, they would accept US dollars with gusto. We also tip on board with single US dollars because recipients cannot exchange coins (i.e., Loonies) into CUC's. Plus it is said they they can find a better exchange rate than we can with the US greenback...

HELLO: :)

Thank you very much for the information that you give us that of returning. I see that the majority embark in Mobay. We do it from the Habana, on having been almost the whole day in port, we it can do at any hour? ;)

I have seen that the schedule of the scales different according to our documentation and some article. Someone can say to me what time one sets sail in Antilla, Montego and Cienfuegos?.:confused:

A doubt, you talk to about a medicine - Dukoral - here it is supplied for cases of rage, and exterior health does not consider opportunely to take medicines without medical prescription, in addition there are no outbreaks of rage in Cuba. If the habitual vaccines of tetanus and hepatitis A.

regards under umbrella.:o

HELLO: :)

Thank you very much for the information that you give us that of returning. I see that the majority embark in Mobay. We do it from the Habana, on having been almost the whole day in port, we it can do at any hour? ;)

I have seen that the schedule of the scales different according to our documentation and some article. Someone can say to me what time one sets sail in Antilla, Montego and Cienfuegos?.:confused:

A doubt, you talk to about a medicine - Dukoral - here it is supplied for cases of rage, and exterior health does not consider opportunely to take medicines without medical prescription, in addition there are no outbreaks of rage in Cuba. If the habitual vaccines of tetanus and hepatitis A.

regards under umbrella.:o

Dukoral is a vaccine that was prescribed by doctors for the prevention of traveller's diarrhea and Cholera. It is effective for up to five years. In Canada one can now purchase this vaccine without a prescription. It is taken by tourists because we are very sensitive towards foreign drinking water. While local populations become immune to their drinking water, tourists generally are not protected and that is why we take Dukoral on the advice of our doctors.

The Captain determines when the ship sails from each port. The time will be advised the day before sailing and that time will be found in the ship newsletter that is delivered to your cabin each night before retiring. Each week the ocean tidal conditions will differ.

It is stated that embarkation is between 1300 -2000 hours although we have boarded the Cristal at 1000

Edited by ONT-CA

From Dukoral's website:

Protection against travellers’ diarrhea caused by ETEC and cholera begins about 1 week after the last dose taken.

Protection against travellers’ diarrhea caused by ETEC lasts for about 3 months.

Protection against cholera lasts for about 2 years in adults and children 6 years and older, and for about 6 months in children who are 2 to 6 years old.

For Traveller's Diarrhea caused by ETEC: If you have taken DUKORAL® in the last 3 months to 5 years, a single dose will renew your protection. A single-dose DUKORAL® format is available from your pharmacist, and should be taken at least one week before you travel.

Anyone currently living in Winnipeg should be lucky enough to have taken Dukoral. The entire city was placed on a "boil water" advisory yesterday.

CTVNews.ca Staff

Published Tuesday, January 27, 2015 6:50PM EST

Last Updated Wednesday, January 28, 2015 9:08AM EST

A boil water advisory has been issued for the entire City of Winnipeg after low levels of bacteria, including E.coli, were detected in water samples Tuesday.

The Winnipeg Regional Health Authority initially issued the advisory for areas east of the Red River. But after discussing the lab results with experts, city officials decided to extend the advisory to the entire city “out of an abundance of caution,” Mayor Brian Bowman told a news conference.Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/winnipeg-under-boil-water-advisory-e-coli-detected-1.2208884#ixzz3QA0rV1n3

Hola!

Well I did it, booked & paid for 2 aisle seats near the front of the plane for earlier disembarking (I hope).

Here's a map of the HOHO Havana stops which looks quite useful.

http://www.cuba-junky.com/havana/havana_bus_tour.html

manueljose ~ here's the link to the port times from Cuba cruise's website.

http://www.yourcubacruise.com/YourTrip.aspx

Have a nice day..

Making a list and slowing getting things done as the cruise is quickly approaching. Can't believe Sunday is the start of February.

Called Cuba Cruise yesterday to update our new passport numbers. Got our renewals in only a week. Too bad I have to live with that photo for 10 years.

Checked that there is going to be a transfer bus waiting at the Havana airport for our charter, so we don't need a cab.

Have printed out our boarding passes and the plane tickets and believe we have enough US money left from our last cruise to use in Jamaica.

As difficult as it seems, and it is, I came across this site for the routes of the HOHO bus in Havana. When you open the site there will be a map that you can manipulate zooming in and out to get a better idea of stops. They are colour coded although it is suggested that lines T1 and T2 may now be combined into one. Flags are used to locate the connecting points of two lines. There is a stop very near the Cruise port but by zooming in you will see the actual location. Problem is I can't print this map so the rest is up to you.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=z2Q-HEU1uk7Y.kE3zxdA1kLr8&msa=0&ll=23.133414,-82.22168&spn=0.269622,0.352936

Thanks, that is a big help to me in finding the stops near the pier.

Hola!

Well I did it, booked & paid for 2 aisle seats near the front of the plane for earlier disembarking (I hope).

Hola back at ya Jo! That vamonos and cerveza por favor are pretty much all my Spanish. I think I shall add cuarto de baño, bathroom or Dónde están los servicios, por favor? for Where is the restroom please?

Are you doing carry on only so you don't have to wait for luggage?

Hola!

...Here's a map of the HOHO Havana stops which looks quite useful.

http://www.cuba-junky.com/havana/havana_bus_tour.html

We spent an hour going over the layout of the routes and could not relate it to areas. Now under the new Cuban economic thinking, if I was a resident, I would study, prepare and print a detailed but simplistic map of each of the HOHO routes outlining points of interest, and then sell those to the tourists for whatever the market would bear...

"p59878 ~ list looks good to me! Did you book your transfer with the ship?

What did you decide on in Cienfuegos?"

Retiring Soon:

Bought the airport - ship,ship - hotel, hotel - airport transfers for $80 US total. Website: http://www.snljamaicantours.com

We wanted to take the Trinidad tour but the trip consumes too much of our time. Also, 6 and 1/2 hours of transit, site seeing and the pottery stop for 164 Canadian each seems a bit steep. I think we will walk to where we can get a horse drawn carriage and go for a ride. We may do some walking after that. Additionally we may take a taxi to the Luguna dolphin show where you can also swim with them. This, including the taxi can be done for $100 US more or less. That seems like a much better deal than the dolphin swimming in Holguin at $174 PP.

Edited by p598738
Add info

Hi all,

We will be joining the ship in Montego Bay on Feb 20. We would love to meet all of you on the same voyage...burm, retiring soon and KandCsailing :)

Let us know your plans...time, date and location

As for you "northerners" complaining about the weather, our current location today will see about 15C with some rain. Hope jealousy isn't a factor :D

Look forward to hearing from you. Macey and Bob

As for you "northerners" complaining about the weather, our current location today will see about 15C with some rain. Hope jealousy isn't a factor :D

I'll just pretend that the C is an F, so there are no hard feelings.:)

Because we are experiencing "warm" weather today, the snow is mixed with freezing rain. I slid on ice in a parking lot and was happy to arrive home safely a few minutes ago.

Hi all!

Ron ~ talking about economic thinking I see on my USA Today app that "Kayak" is displaying Cuban hotel & flight info starting today.

p59878 ~ thanks for the info, sounds like a good price for the transfers.

The Trinidad trip does sound long & expensive but I really want to see it so think I'll go for it.

Kerri ~ you know more Spanish than I do!;) We will have a bag each but the long line to get through is before you pick up the bags. DD & DSIL were

at Mo Bay airport just before Christmas & sent a picture of the line. When I asked her she said by the time they got through it all the luggage was off the belt & lined up in the terminal.

Geritol Gypsies ~ looking forward to meeting you too. Now we just have to decide when & where.

burm ~ hope you didn't hurt yourself. How's your mouth today?

Bon Voyage to people setting sail tomorrow or Monday.

Have a nice evening. It just started snowing when I left Belleville this aft

but the wind was really blowing.

Edited by retiring soon
had to add something

Feel better soon Burm.

I love lighthouses so I'm looking up Cuban ones this morning.

There seem to be over 30. Hoping I might see at least 4 or 5 depending on how far the ship is from shore.

We return to Havana at 9:30 AM, so you will at least get some great shots of the lighthouse at the Castillo del Moro. There are at least 2 more around Havana.

There is also one 1 km from entrance to the Santiago harbour that should be easy to photograph.

http://www.lighthousesrus.org/showSql.php?page=Gulf/Cuba

We return to Havana at 9:30 AM, so you will at least get some great shots of the lighthouse at the Castillo del Moro. There are at least 2 more around Havana.

There is also one 1 km from entrance to the Santiago harbour that should be easy to photograph.

http://www.lighthousesrus.org/showSql.php?page=Gulf/Cuba

Thanks.

I think the Santiago one is at the fort/castle so I might see that one on a tour or with a taxi.

Looks like there is one at the entrance to Cienfuegos.

http://www.lighthousesrus.org/Maps/mapSql.php?page=Gulf/Cuba

Todays official rate of exchange:

1.00 CUC = 1.25276 CAD

You would lose a penny on each CUC which is better than losing ten

I exchanged and received 76.35 CUC for 100CND.

In you stay in Montego Bay more than 24 hours before the cruise you need to pay departure tax of $20US.

Cuban medical people will do a temperature scan of everyone before leaving ship at all ports.

No fee for Cuban Visa for those boarding in Montego Bay or for others.

We could not land at Porta Frances because of ocean swells.

Only rain was in Montego Bay this morning.

Have any of you flown into this airport?

I'm wondering if we should exchange our CDN$$ there (if we have time) or wait till Havana, or wait till Antilla, since it's only a sea day in between and we arrive in Varadero at 4:30 pm. Any recommendations?

Thanks! Shelly

Edited by crzy.cdn.cruzer