Carnival cutbacks - what are they?

I have been reading these forums for many weeks now and I am still trying to figure out these cutbacks that many people talk about. Thy only use the word "cutback". Can someone be more specific about what cutbacks they have experienced on CCL? Thanks!

Entertainment. We love going to the main lounge every night for shows. That is no more.

Have also added "George Lopez" Comedy Shows. They are a joke for us. Went to 2 on our last cruise. I guess if you can get past the valguarity you will enjoy it. I cannot.

Added Comedy Brunch on alot of ships. Another joke This takes the place of breakfast in the main dining room on sea days. We were not impressed with the food. Also does not start serving til like 9 am. Sorry by then I am done and out on deck usually. Service is extremely slow.

Just a couple of things we saw on last cruise.

I have been reading these forums for many weeks now and I am still trying to figure out these cutbacks that many people talk about. Thy only use the word "cutback". Can someone be more specific about what cutbacks they have experienced on CCL? Thanks!

The cabin temperatures, Carnival standard room temp is 76, way too hot to sleep comfortably.

No more steel drums , band on the lido deck, only DJ's

MDR menu has been pared down

Doesn't seem to be as many servers taking drink orders around the pool area

Grill in the back is now closed most of the cruise

Fewer production shows in the main lounge

Comedians are really bad

These are just a few off the top of my head.

How long have these cutbacks been going on?

since before the apocalypse ...in fact, Carnival's cutbacks largely caused the apocalypse

Some of the "cutbacks" are not so much reductions as changes in style, delivery and service as Carnival seeks to adjust and compete with other cruise lines and other, newer offerings and different customer profiles.

Some are genuine reductions: but if you've not cruised on that ship before or on Carnival before, you will not miss what you didn't know used to be there.

Just for fun, look at the boards for some other cruise lines: they don't call this place Cruise Critic for nothing!

My point is the "cutbacks" are industry wide in many cases and manifest themselves in different ways on different cruise lines. Compare the value on a cruise still to the comparable changes and charges on air flights for example: baggage fees, no food service , increased prices, etc.

Does that mean all the changes are good? No. Personally I liked the steel band and live shows but I can also understand why they may be lost as Carnival updates and attempts to compete with mega-ships, ice rinks etc. on other cruise lines.

Just off the Fantasy this past Saturday and I was freezing most of the time and had all vents closed in the room! So the tempature was nothing I found to be a cut-back! The only thing I could say for sure was the entertainment was lacking quite a bit:( Still had a great time as always!

How long have these cutbacks been going on?

How far you want to go back?Back in '99, they still had rum swizzle, captains and returners cocktail parties. Assigned mdr server for all meals, fresh squeezed OJ. Every night had a featured entertainer or show, waiter gave a water color print of ship last night. President brand butter was served too.

I don't klow when rum swizzle was dropped but it was around '08 that captains party was moved to last day at sea.

Sometime between '03 and '08, food cutbacks started, like elimination of steak sandwiches on lido deck, pressed meat replacing real meat at deli, fake cheese on the pizza, elimination of filet mignon, etc

In 2012, they totally eliminated even that last cocktail party on the last sea day,loyalty program was diluted, not all past guests are allowed to attend repeater party, guest entertainers have been replaced with cruisers doing the entertaining, ship shows have been stripped down with playlist,bands have been replaced with mp3 players, less servers in mdr to wait on you,beds have been replaced with cheaper, hard beds,no more chicken sandwiches on lido deck, Supper club became the steak house because CCL took out the musicians, then they raised the price of eating there while taking out the best cut of beef off the menu (porterhouse). Main dining room anytime menu used to have NY steak, that became sirloin then some type of chewy, nasty road kill meat. They used to put chocolates on pillow, now they put chocolate flavored discs instead. Used to have free espresso/caps in mdr, now you have to pay $2.95.

Very noticeable is lack of entertainment. Rather than give you fun, they are constantly trying to make you think that you are having fun, from FTTF, to getting your fun pass, calling you a fun person, boarding you on a fun ship, selling you a fun drink, handing you a copy of the fun times... you see a pattern here? Yet, after dinner, there are no shows. For "fun", you can try to fight for a seat in the aft lounge to hear a comedian or go on the lido deck and hope they are showing a movie you haven't seen.

No more mdr breakfast.

The cabin temperatures, Carnival standard room temp is 76, way too hot to sleep comfortably.

No more steel drums , band on the lido deck, only DJ's

MDR menu has been pared down

Doesn't seem to be as many servers taking drink orders around the pool area

Grill in the back is now closed most of the cruise

Fewer production shows in the main lounge

Comedians are really bad

These are just a few off the top of my head.

-Room temps are good. Temps seem perfect.

-DJ is good for us. A DJ can play steel drum music as well as other types.

-MRD is still pretty good.

-Never have a problem finding a server. Thats an income source that Carnival does want to cut.

-Not like there is any shortage of food on the ship.

-I wish they would dump the High School review team and have more single performers. The "guest talent" shows really suck.

-Comedians we have had are very good.

To keep prices under control some things need to change. Things valued by older cruisers may not be of interest to younger guest. The older ones can always move to Holland.

How far you want to go back?Back in '99, they still had rum swizzle, captains and returners cocktail parties. Assigned mdr server for all meals, fresh squeezed OJ. Every night had a featured entertainer or show, waiter gave a water color print of ship last night. President brand butter was served too.

I don't klow when rum swizzle was dropped but it was around '08 that captains party was moved to last day at sea.

Sometime between '03 and '08, food cutbacks started, like elimination of steak sandwiches on lido deck, pressed meat replacing real meat at deli, fake cheese on the pizza, elimination of filet mignon, etc

In 2012, they totally eliminated even that last cocktail party on the last sea day,loyalty program was diluted, not all past guests are allowed to attend repeater party, guest entertainers have been replaced with cruisers doing the entertaining, ship shows have been stripped down with playlist,bands have been replaced with mp3 players, less servers in mdr to wait on you,beds have been replaced with cheaper, hard beds,no more chicken sandwiches on lido deck, Supper club became the steak house because CCL took out the musicians, then they raised the price of eating there while taking out the best cut of beef off the menu (porterhouse). Main dining room anytime menu used to have NY steak, that became sirloin then some type of chewy, nasty road kill meat. They used to put chocolates on pillow, now they put chocolate flavored discs instead. Used to have free espresso/caps in mdr, now you have to pay $2.95.

Very noticeable is lack of entertainment. Rather than give you fun, they are constantly trying to make you think that you are having fun, from FTTF, to getting your fun pass, calling you a fun person, boarding you on a fun ship, selling you a fun drink, handing you a copy of the fun times... you see a pattern here? Yet, after dinner, there are no shows. For "fun", you can try to fight for a seat in the aft lounge to hear a comedian or go on the lido deck and hope they are showing a movie you haven't seen.

No more mdr breakfast.

Well said, I have noticed the same. I just try to think of Carnival now as a totally different product than what I first went on. The old Carnival sadly doesn't exist, but I don't necessarily hate the new Carnival either. It's just two completely different things.

They replaced all meat with pink slim

Watered down alcohol

John heald pulls double duty as cd and captain

They only clean your stateroom every 2 days

Only allowed to flush your toilet 2x a day

To save fuel each cabin has to go down to the steam room a row for 30 mins aday

Tonight buffet is last nights left over mdr food aka means leftover from your plate

Oh ya last but not least they replaced all toilet paper with reusable rags..

Just kidding our course

-Room temps are good. Temps seem perfect.

-DJ is good for us. A DJ can play steel drum music as well as other types.

-MRD is still pretty good.

-Never have a problem finding a server. Thats an income source that Carnival does want to cut.

-Not like there is any shortage of food on the ship.

-I wish they would dump the High School review team and have more single performers. The "guest talent" shows really suck.

-Comedians we have had are very good.

To keep prices under control some things need to change. Things valued by older cruisers may not be of interest to younger guest. The older ones can always move to Holland.

While I agree in today's economic climate some things do have to change, what doesn't need to change is everyday manners and respect for others. You're comment about older people sailing on Holland is rude. Do you have parents, grandparents? Do you talk to them like this?

And FYI I am not old, I am a middle aged, well mannered person that not only respects older people, but appreciate them.

Thanks all that have responded thus far! I am cruising in a couple of weeks on the valor and really excited. Since we are in port most days, i will probably be ok with most of the cutbacks. I cruised 2 years ago and I thought the food was just okay, but enjoyed karaoke the dance club, lido deck and other games.

As a musician, and singer, the main cutbacks I see are in the number of musicians in the onboard band, and the number of dancers, and performers in the main shows. Used to be 8 to 10 musicians, now only 4 or 5 on most cruises. Used to be 8 to 10 female dancers, and 8 to 10 male dancers, and 2 to 4 production singers. Now there are only 8 total dancers/singers aboard most ships. Shows aren't as good either,,,IMO. :(

"SKY"

What some people call cutbacks are really reallocation of resources to better match the target market. As society evolves, so must everything else in order to survive.

To live in the past is not realistic and not affordable.

You are back!!! Glad to see you posting.

I was just thinking where is Sargent Schultz to tell them to enjoy the new stuff and forget about the old stuff.

New choices are always good.

Thanks all that have responded thus far! I am cruising in a couple of weeks on the valor and really excited. Since we are in port most days, i will probably be ok with most of the cutbacks. I cruised 2 years ago and I thought the food was just okay, but enjoyed karaoke the dance club, lido deck and other games.

Valor is a wonderful ship, and my favorite so far. I honestly don't notice any significant difference in the quality of my "modern" cruises starting in 2009. I think crew have been reduced and they seem to have a LOT of work -- yet to me, they're doing a great job, and I have no complaints about them whatsoever. Maybe we've just been really, really lucky, but our stewards and MDR staff have been just excellent.

Valor's itinerary out of San Juan is a lot of fun. My daughter and I did it after last Thanksgiving and enjoyed all of the islands (although I actually prefer one more sea day for relaxing). You'll have a great time.

You are back!!! Glad to see you posting.

I was just thinking where is Sargent Schultz to tell them to enjoy the new stuff and forget about the old stuff.

New choices are always good.

Glad to not have to pay high rates for Internet access. Currently in Houston. Can't believe I had to *PAY* for room service last night. :p

Glad to not have to pay high rates for Internet access. Currently in Houston. Can't believe I had to *PAY* for room service last night. :p

Welcome home .. you tell them, how good guy's is and the new pizza and all the new ships with waterparks and rope courses.

Larkz, thanks for the information. I too wish there was one more day at sea, but also looking forward to visiting all of these islands. Do you have any favorite things?

We grabbed a cab in St. Thomas and headed for Magen's Bay, where we rented a kayak -- they had a pizza at the little beach-side restaurant, by the way, that I absolutely loved. We did the train excursion in St. Kitts, which was a fair price for a nice, relaxing tour. We sprung for the Atlantis Submarine in Barbados and enjoyed that. In St. Lucia we did a Segway tour; our first time using these things, and it was "interesting," (I'd rather be on a mountain bike, to be honest). And in St. Maarten we took a cab to Simpson Bay and rented kayaks again. Kayaking is always our favorite activity, and I think my daughter likes it because we rent the tandem and I do most of the work!

We grabbed a cab in St. Thomas and headed for Magen's Bay, where we rented a kayak -- they had a pizza at the little beach-side restaurant, by the way, that I absolutely loved. We did the train excursion in St. Kitts, which was a fair price for a nice, relaxing tour. We sprung for the Atlantis Submarine in Barbados and enjoyed that. In St. Lucia we did a Segway tour; our first time using these things, and it was "interesting," (I'd rather be on a mountain bike, to be honest). And in St. Maarten we took a cab to Simpson Bay and rented kayaks again. Kayaking is always our favorite activity, and I think my daughter likes it because we rent the tandem and I do most of the work!

Sounds like fun. Me and my friends are mostly beach bums so most of our excursions will include the beach. We are doing a sea excursion in st. Lucia so we can see the pitons.

Sounds like fun. Me and my friends are mostly beach bums so most of our excursions will include the beach. We are doing a sea excursion in st. Lucia so we can see the pitons.

That St. Lucia sea excursion would have been our first choice, but after my daughter said she would never ride on one of "those things" (Segway), well, dad can't resist a challenge!

Magen's bay in St. Thomas is reportedly one of the "World's most beautiful beaches" and all you need to do is hop a cab or shuttle. They run all day long. I'd recommend that.

Archived