1st time Carnival cruiser (DREAM) complete review & pictorial (from a NCL cruiser)

mitsugirly

Ok, I have fixed both of them and they should work. However, the links within the reviews are not linking to my Smugmug account for some reason (probably years of me rearranging them and putting them in different folders).

So, here's the links to my pictures for each time:

FIRST TIME AROUND AT CHANKANAAB

SECOND TIME

They will have all the snorkeling pictures and pictures from around the grounds in them. :D

Sorry about that.

• 2 weeks later...
Mitsugirly great pics and reviews. We are going to Playa Mia next week and was wondering if you had a picture of the menu. My wife has food allergies and wanted to see the menu ahead of time.

Thanks for the info

Thanks and absolutely.

IMG_0091-XL.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Can you guys tell I'm getting tired? It's 1 am in the morning and I'm actually running out of things to say about the pictures. A cave is a cave, this one just happens to have water running in it, we just happen to be floating down it and that's that. I'm not sure what else there is to say. So, just sit back and enjoy the rest of the pictures and try your best to drown out the crying you hear in the background. It's just Brayden.

P5130452-M.jpg

P5130454-M.jpg

There was a time that the guide says "If you want to get out of the tubes and swim the rest of the way back, you can here." Who do you think was the first out of the tube? Who do you think you didn't have to tell twice? I bet you guessed right. It was funny just minutes before this (and I caught this on film) Sakari said "come on already, I have some swimming to do. Is this over?"

P5130455-M.jpg

Don't you just hate water cameras when they are pulled up out of the water and you get a picture like this? It kinda ruins things...but Sakari was having a blast.

P5130462-M.jpg

So like always, when it was time to go...she was upset about having to get out of the water.

P5130464-M.jpg

On the walk back, I found this little guy in the trees. Is that Toucan Sam? He flew off before anyone else in my family could see him.

IMG_0264-M.jpg

My 5 year is now brave enough to go on the cavetubing trip! Thank you! We are going in March and are using .bz you didn't have any problems with them? Where did you keep your stuff? Sorry, I'm new, so I'm not certain if this is where I post my questions?

My 5 year is now brave enough to go on the cavetubing trip! Thank you! We are going in March and are using .bz you didn't have any problems with them? Where did you keep your stuff? Sorry, I'm new, so I'm not certain if this is where I post my questions?

Hi and thanks for your comments. You are welcome to ask me any questions you might have and I will be happy to try to help you in any way that I can.

Good for your 5 year old on being brave. I hope she enjoys herself (as well as youself).

I love using .bz and have used them twice for the cavetubing now. They provide excellent service and they are very knowledgeable. I would never hesitate to use them again and highly recommend them.

You items are kept in the van in the parking lot at the entrance to the caves. They keep them locked and there are people watching the vans. We have never had a problem and out of all the years of being on here I have NEVER read any reports for any of the cave tubing companies having any issues with items being locked up in the vans. :)

Always enjoy your reviews and going on the Dream next January out of NOLA. Thought you sailed out of there one time but can't find the review or am I mistaken? Trying to decide between LFK or Maya Key since we did Victor Bodden last year.

Hi. We have sailed out of NOLA 3 times now. That would be on the Jewel, Spirit and Star I believe. :) We stayed at different places each time. I have to say I love New Orleans. Such a neat place to go. :)

• 2 weeks later...

mitsugirly -

your reviews are spectacular ! your photos simply amazing ! thank you for taking the time to post such detail. I'm taking my 12 & 14 yr olds on their first cruise in a month RC's Brilliance. I am super nervous to take my "good" camera, but you've made me want to do so ! Your family is beautiful !!

mitsugirly -

your reviews are spectacular ! your photos simply amazing ! thank you for taking the time to post such detail. I'm taking my 12 & 14 yr olds on their first cruise in a month RC's Brilliance. I am super nervous to take my "good" camera, but you've made me want to do so ! Your family is beautiful !!

Thanks for the compliments and I love taking the time to share our experiences when cruising.

I'm not absolutely "sure" what you mean by taking your "good" camera (I'm thinking maybe dslr)?? But I definitely don't take my good camera with me on cruises anymore. I stopped doing that once I discovered it was much easier to take both of my super great point and shoot cameras that take awesome pictures both on land and in the water. I leave all the equipment behind now so that I can enjoy myself a little more. :D

I hope you and your teens have a great cruise...and many more. :)

Thanks for the compliments and I love taking the time to share our experiences when cruising.

I'm not absolutely "sure" what you mean by taking your "good" camera (I'm thinking maybe dslr)?? But I definitely don't take my good camera with me on cruises anymore. I stopped doing that once I discovered it was much easier to take both of my super great point and shoot cameras that take awesome pictures both on land and in the water. I leave all the equipment behind now so that I can enjoy myself a little more. :D

I hope you and your teens have a great cruise...and many more. :)

thanks so much... do you have a suggestion for a good underwater point and shoot ? my kids are having a fit for the GOPRO, but i'm not sold on it.

Have a great week...

thanks so much... do you have a suggestion for a good underwater point and shoot ? my kids are having a fit for the GOPRO, but i'm not sold on it.

Have a great week...

I can not honestly say about a gopro. I know people like them and I have seen nothing but good videos from people that have used them, but can not speak from experience. I do like the fact that you can attach them to a rod and hold them out in front of you.

I use an Olympus Tough point and shoot for my pictures. I love mine so much that I purchased a second one. I have the 620 and the 830.

I think they take excellent pictures on land and in water and pretty decent at night too if you can manage to steady yourself good enough or use something to put it up against (but then again, that would be with any camera).

They both have nice features built in with tons of settings. I personally like the tilt shift setting for some pretty awesome effects. The 830 has like 4 different under water settings, so that's an upgrade from the 620. However, since I got the 620 first, I'm just use to using it more and it's always my "go-to" camera. I really need to start practicing a little more with the 830 because it offers a little more. The 830 also has a neat feature built in to the video (both have one touch video), you can be recording and still take pictures. How cool is that? :p

I can not honestly say about a gopro. I know people like them and I have seen nothing but good videos from people that have used them, but can not speak from experience. I do like the fact that you can attach them to a rod and hold them out in front of you.

I use an Olympus Tough point and shoot for my pictures. I love mine so much that I purchased a second one. I have the 620 and the 830.

I think they take excellent pictures on land and in water and pretty decent at night too if you can manage to steady yourself good enough or use something to put it up against (but then again, that would be with any camera).

They both have nice features built in with tons of settings. I personally like the tilt shift setting for some pretty awesome effects. The 830 has like 4 different under water settings, so that's an upgrade from the 620. However, since I got the 620 first, I'm just use to using it more and it's always my "go-to" camera. I really need to start practicing a little more with the 830 because it offers a little more. The 830 also has a neat feature built in to the video (both have one touch video), you can be recording and still take pictures. How cool is that? :p

Thanks for this information also! I did an amazon search for both of those cameras (to hopefully get one for our trip in November) and I see they are also coming out with a new one Olympus 860. I may preorder that one. It seems to have a lot of the same features, plus a new wide angle lens and the lcd screen on the back flips out...great for selfies! Also, it seems that it will be a "tough" camera! Which is great for me, because I'm constantly dropping stuff. :)

Thanks for this information also! I did an amazon search for both of those cameras (to hopefully get one for our trip in November) and I see they are also coming out with a new one Olympus 860. I may preorder that one. It seems to have a lot of the same features, plus a new wide angle lens and the lcd screen on the back flips out...great for selfies! Also, it seems that it will be a "tough" camera! Which is great for me, because I'm constantly dropping stuff. :)

That sounds awesome. My dslr have the pivot screen that comes out and you can turn it around and I love it. It's great for if you want to hold the camera above your head to get a shot somewhere that you can't see as well. Many uses.

One of the other things that is neat about these cameras is that you can also do panorama shots as well. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your review. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I originally clicked on the link because I too, have never been on Carnival or the Dream and wanted to read about your experience. Then I started reading about your other life journey, being in the medical field and going to school to be an RN... I am a HUC (Health Unit Coordinator) in hospital and am starting back to school for my pre-reqs to get into the nursing program.

We will also be going on our next cruise on the Dream Aug 2016.

---> Montego Bay, Jamica

Grand Cayman

Cozumel, Mexico.

I know you have been to Cozumel. Have you been to any of these other ports? I think your little girl might have been a big young, but we are really looking at doing the Amazing Secret River (through Carnival) out of Cozumel. It looks really cool and active. I just don't see us sitting at a beach. Any recommendations for the other ports?

As for doing it all? How have you been able to keep it all together, work, go to school, family, travel? I need your tips or maybe prayers! ;)

Edited by familyoutdoors

Thank you for your review. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I originally clicked on the link because I too, have never been on Carnival or the Dream and wanted to read about your experience. Then I started reading about your other life journey, being in the medical field and going to school to be an RN... I am a HUC (Health Unit Coordinator) in hospital and am starting back to school for my pre-reqs to get into the nursing program.

We will also be going on our next cruise on the Dream Aug 2016.

---> Montego Bay, Jamica

Grand Cayman

Cozumel, Mexico.

I know you have been to Cozumel. Have you been to any of these other ports? I think your little girl might have been a big young, but we are really looking at doing the Amazing Secret River (through Carnival) out of Cozumel. It looks really cool and active. I just don't see us sitting at a beach. Any recommendations for the other ports?

As for doing it all? How have you been able to keep it all together, work, go to school, family, travel? I need your tips or maybe prayers! ;)

Aww {{{hugs to you}}} you have a long and hard journey ahead of you. Juggling life, work and nursing school is one of the hardest things I have ever done in life. I don't wish it on anyone. :p I was in school for 4 1/2 years straight between pre-reqs and nursing school. But I DID IT! I graduated last May and it's one of my biggest accomplishments. So you can do it!!! Just make sure to take some time for yourself. It gets very stressful and you need that down time. It was hard to convince myself to do it, but my kids (oldest daughter) always drug me away for some fun time when she could and it was much needed.

We have been to all of these ports...multiple times. I have reviews down in my signature line with the things we have done so far. You are welcome to take a look at them and see if anything fits you. Although I have to admit, we love our beach days...so a lot of them are beaches. :D

I actually just learned (a few months ago) about the secret river. I had never heard of it and I SO HAVE TO DO IT one of these times. It looks like so much fun and amazing. I know my little one would love it. She does everything we do and has been snorkeling since age 3. There's absolutely nothing we have done that she wasn't able to do. She's game for it all and I know she would love this. So hopefully next time we are there, we'll give it a shot.

I highly recommend the stingray sandbar. It's definitely an awesome experience out there in the middle of the ocean, being able to stand up on a sand bar and the wild stingrays all around you while you feed them. It's a unique experience for sure and a big attraction in Grand Cayman. :)

some snips here--->

Aww {{{hugs to you}}} you have a long and hard journey ahead of you. Juggling life, work and nursing school is one of the hardest things I have ever done in life. I don't wish it on anyone. :p I was in school for 4 1/2 years straight between pre-reqs and nursing school. But I DID IT! I graduated last May and it's one of my biggest accomplishments. So you can do it!!! Just make sure to take some time for yourself. It gets very stressful and you need that down time. It was hard to convince myself to do it, but my kids (oldest daughter) always drug me away for some fun time when she could and it was much needed.

Thank you! I hope I can too.

I think I can...I think I can...

I highly recommend the stingray sandbar. It's definitely an awesome experience out there in the middle of the ocean, being able to stand up on a sand bar and the wild stingrays all around you while you feed them. It's a unique experience for sure and a big attraction in Grand Cayman. :)

My 17 year old will be going with us. He will actually be 18 by the trip and graduated from high school. I asked him about doing something like the Stingray thing. Unfortunately, he said no way. He was a fan of Steve Erwin when he was a younger and I don't imagine I will get this (big) kid in a pool, lagoon, sea or whatever of stingrays! Snorkeling is another thing. He has agreed to do that, so that is not out of the question. If we see one stingray, I don't think he will freak out :rolleyes:

Question, between Playa Mia and Mr Sanchos, which ended up costing more? It looks like $30 to go to Playa Mia, but no food or drinks with that, just the facilities, right? I know Sanchos is $50 all inclusive. Do either include the inflatables in the water?

Last thing, it has been years since I went to Playa Mia, unless I remember wrong, we didn't go back because the shoreline was very rocky and uncomfortable to walk on, like right where you go in the water and a few feet out. I didn't see that in your pics. Is it not this way anymore? Maybe they took out the rocks? Or I remember wrong. It's been 10 years or more.

some snips here--->

My 17 year old will be going with us. He will actually be 18 by the trip and graduated from high school. I asked him about doing something like the Stingray thing. Unfortunately, he said no way. He was a fan of Steve Erwin when he was a younger and I don't imagine I will get this (big) kid in a pool, lagoon, sea or whatever of stingrays! Snorkeling is another thing. He has agreed to do that, so that is not out of the question. If we see one stingray, I don't think he will freak out :rolleyes:

Tell him to do some research on this. The stingrays in the Caribbean are a different kind than what killed Steve Erwin...way different. Stever Erwins accident was a freak accident at that. These stingrays are wild yes, but they know you are there to feed them. They come swimming when they hear the boats coming and can't wait for their treat. They let you hold them and they take the food out of your hand like you were feeding a puppy. It was one of the best experiences ever.

Just so you know, the stingrays are everywhere so if he's agreed to do a snorkeling tour, chance is he might see stingrays. We even seen them when we were snorkeling multiple times. We have also seen them up by the waters edge at the beaches. :)

Question, between Playa Mia and Mr Sanchos, which ended up costing more? It looks like $30 to go to Playa Mia, but no food or drinks with that, just the facilities, right? I know Sanchos is $50 all inclusive. Do either include the inflatables in the water?

Last thing, it has been years since I went to Playa Mia, unless I remember wrong, we didn't go back because the shoreline was very rocky and uncomfortable to walk on, like right where you go in the water and a few feet out. I didn't see that in your pics. Is it not this way anymore? Maybe they took out the rocks? Or I remember wrong. It's been 10 years or more.

I honestly can't comment on the pricing because when we did Playa Mia, we had an entirely different package than what they offer now. I don't even think you can get the same package now. Ours included admission and frees drinks all day long. We opted not to do the buffet with our package because we had heard the food was American and left out most of the day. We ordered off the menu instead.

Nooooo, the shoreline was not rocky and the sand was soft...not even the kind of sand you sometimes get with the crushed up coral in it. It was nice and soft.

IMG_0143-L.jpg

Yes, you will have areas, or huge rocks, here and there, but that's what makes it nice to dip your head under the water and see some sea life. :D

P5120097-L.jpg

But plenty of places to just swim with the sand under you. :)

As for the inflatables. When we were at Playa Mia, I'm pretty sure the water park was included...however you won't see pictures of it because they were not up that day and according to the staff they were "out for repair". But, I honestly think their "repair" consisted of expanding it because the pictures I seen shortly after our cruise showed a complete new obstacle course. :D

At Mr Sanchos, you have to pay extra for it. I believe it was $10 for a wristband and that was no matter if you were on the AI side or the PAYG side. Everyone had to pay. The water inflatables are also located on the PAYG side.

I honestly can't comment on the pricing because when we did Playa Mia, we had an entirely different package than what they offer now. I don't even think you can get the same package now. Ours included admission and frees drinks all day long. We opted not to do the buffet with our package because we had heard the food was American and left out most of the day. We ordered off the menu instead.

Nooooo, the shoreline was not rocky and the sand was soft...not even the kind of sand you sometimes get with the crushed up coral in it. It was nice and soft.

IMG_0143-L.jpg

Yes, you will have areas, or huge rocks, here and there, but that's what makes it nice to dip your head under the water and see some sea life. :D

P5120097-L.jpg

But plenty of places to just swim with the sand under you. :)

As for the inflatables. When we were at Playa Mia, I'm pretty sure the water park was included...however you won't see pictures of it because they were not up that day and according to the staff they were "out for repair". But, I honestly think their "repair" consisted of expanding it because the pictures I seen shortly after our cruise showed a complete new obstacle course. :D

At Mr Sanchos, you have to pay extra for it. I believe it was $10 for a wristband and that was no matter if you were on the AI side or the PAYG side. Everyone had to pay. The water inflatables are also located on the PAYG side.

Thank you!

• 2 months later...

Wow, I have spent all day reading your review! It was wonderful! I will be cruising on the Dream next April with my husband and my son who will be barely shy of 3. Your Camp Carnival experience really has me nervous. I've only cruised carnival but this will be the first time I travel with a child. Did you ever put in a formal complaint? My blood was boiling for you. I don't plan on using it often except for when we want to get a drink after dinner or see a comedy show but I want to know he is being well taken care of. Great review though! I hope to try a NCL cruise soon!