Cruising from Charleston in January

We have booked a cruise out of Charleston for January and since this is my first winter cruise I am hoping all of the winter cruising pro's can fill me in on things to know. How is the weather in Charleston in January? What about the weather in Nassau and Freeport? Is it too cold to sit out on the deck on sea days? Any information about cruising in January would be most helpful.

We were in the Bahamas in January. It was warm enough to sit out at the pool. However, I did not go in the pool but a few kids were swimming. We went back to the Bahamas in March and it was freezing. People only brought warm weather clothing along and they were miserable. Just keep checking the weather websites and plan your packing accordingly.

We have booked a cruise out of Charleston for January and since this is my first winter cruise I am hoping all of the winter cruising pro's can fill me in on things to know. How is the weather in Charleston in January? What about the weather in Nassau and Freeport? Is it too cold to sit out on the deck on sea days? Any information about cruising in January would be most helpful.

We cruised out of Charleston to Key West, Nassau, & Freeport in January 2012. We wore coats during sail away & were bundled up on the Serenity deck the next morning (our 1st full day at sea). By that evening we were in our tropical clothing & swimsuits until our return to Charleston.

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed this past January from Charleston. During sail away most wore pants and a jacket. The next morning was still a little chilly to lay by the pool but by afternoon the weather was nice.

We typically like to cruise in January and usually have great weather at the ports.

We have sailed from Charleston the past 2 January's (same week each year) and have been blessed with great weather both times! Not just in Charleston but also in the Bahamas & Grand Turk. I wore capris for sail-away this year and shorts last year! Shorts and tank tops the rest of the cruise both times. I always pack a light jacket but like I said we have had great weather each time.

I live up the coast about 1 1/2 hrs from Charleston. I will say Jan and feb are our coolest months. That being said there can be days in the 70's as well. I would say definitely bring your coat or hooded sweatshirt. We have cruised to the Bahammas in Jan before from Florida and we always pack our hoodies. Freeport on a map is actually north of south Florida and can be chilly, the water will be chilly there. Nassau may be a little warmer and you may be able to get in for a few. Either way I am sure you will have fun! Happy cruising!

Should be no problem with the weather in Charleston in January. As far as Nassau and Freeport normally they are much warmer than Charleston, probably in the high 70's to low 80's. We took this cruise out of Charleston in December and the Bahamas has a cold snap and the weather was windy and quite cool for their region. Temps that year were in the 60's. Needless to say we did not go to the beach. You can pretty much count on decent weather in the Bahamas but it is winter afterall so be prepared.

Click the link in my signature to see the story of our cruise.

Archived