price of camera memory cards on ship?

HMB1950

does anyone know if memory cards are cheaper on the ship? I know it would be duty free but i was more concerned about the price. Of course I could always try and find one in port but I need it sooner than that.

I can only imagine how ungodly expensive a memory card would be on the ship or in any of the ports, if you can even find the right kind of card for your camera. Why don't you try to find the appropriate memory card before you sail? Then you can shop around and find the best deal.

I don't know the answer to your question but...

-There's no duty on memory cards so you can buy it "duty free" stateside.

-They don't have the shelf space on board to stock a good selection.

-Anyone walking into the store looking for that has "desperate" written on one side of their face and "rob me" on the other.

-It's a looong swim to the nearest competition. And UPS trucks don't float that far.

Given that if you have time get it now. If you're lucky, you're near a Fry's and it will be on sale tomorrow or Friday. If not, try Staples or OfficeMax/Depot. If you have time, CrucialDotCom.

Last time I checked, memory cards at WalMart were less expensive than OfficeMax.

EVERYTHING like that is much more expensive on the ship. And, you may not find what you need in port. Buy before you sail.;)

If you are worrying you may run out of room on your existing card. You could always buy a spare just before the cruise, leave it in the blister pack and return it when you get back if you didn't use it.

I never said that.

If you have time, you can find good prices on eBay for memory, or like other have said, Walmart was about the cheapest.

I would definately go ahead and get additional memory cards before the trip. I have several, and have never regretted getting them. I have looked onboard and in various ports, and found that if/when they had the exact type, they knew you were in need, and the price reflected it.

It also depends on what kind of memory card you require. I've got two cameras, one uses CompactFlash (I can get them real cheap) and the other uses XD (I have to shop around to get a deal). I'm too paranoid and cost-aware to wait on buying these until I'm on the ship!

Check BestBuy.com. Got a great deal on a 512mb Compact Flash for my camera. You can pick it up at the store in a few days, or have it shipped to me. After sale price, rebate, etc., it only cost $30. Love it!

Yeah......would be nice to pick up a bargin onboard......but this ain't one of them.

I Would probabably stay away from ones sold in the ports also....

Might as well just break down and buy one on sale at home.

You can find a 1 gig card for under $100 if you watch for sales.

Just get it over with.......and DO IT. ;)

Archived