Back from the 5/13/13 Portsmouth-Grennock Sailing

Mike2131

I will try to post a full review this weekend, but wanted to impart some initial thoughts.

1. This was not an expedition by any stretch of the imagination. We will take full responsibility for booking the itinerary, but this was not a sailing that should be taken on an expedition ship. It was mainstream from start to finish and, except for some small ports that needed Zodiac access, it was pretty much a waste of the Silver Explorer.
  2. Food was disappointing. Not quality of ingredients, but temperature control and preparation were inconsistent. The absolute best meal we had was an included lunch on the excursion to the D-Day beaches.
  3. On the last night, we ordered a bottle of dessert wine and it took a couple of visits from the wine staff to verify the order before the Sommelier came over to let me know that the last bottle had been sold during the cruise. Why it was still on the wine list is a mystery.
  4. The room condition was very disappointing. From peeling paint on a ceiling panel (flaked off to the touch) to a painted over lens in the shower (then scrapped to allow light through) to a fairly beaten-up coffee table, these were not things I expected from Silversea.
  5. A rather stand-offish Expedition Staff. They were certainly friendly when approached and would answer questions, but they were not anywhere as engaged with the guests as the staff in the Arctic in 2010.
  6. The photographer was the worst I have seen on any cruise anywhere. His expedition video was actually embarrassing. It was more like a school project instead of a professional production. We had a enthusiastic, wonderfully accomplished wildlife photographer (Sue Flood) on-board, but she was relegated to offering advice when asked. What a waste of talent!
  7. On the plus side, they took a mid-cruise survey, responded to our comments, and tried to adjust where they could. I think they must know they have problems.

Overall, I could not rate this cruise more than 3.0 - 3.5 out of 5.0. Very disappointing and not a good value. It will be a while before the consider the Silver Explorer again.

Mike2131, thank you for taking the time to share your Explorer post cruise summary. Sorry to hear your Explorer cruise did not meet your expectations.

Interesting post by Mike2131. I was also on the Portsmouth to Greenock trip and my experience is completely different to his. This was never going to be an expedition, you only have to look at the itinerary to see that, coupled with the fact there were no wet landinngs.

Whilst I respect his views most people I spoke to thought it was an excellent trip with very full days.

Isnt it funny how different people regard their meals, I thought that the meal in France, which I had, was overcooked chicken, very tasty but slightly dry.

I await the full review in due course.

Interesting post by Mike2131. I was also on the Portsmouth to Greenock trip and my experience is completely different to his. This was never going to be an expedition, you only have to look at the itinerary to see that, coupled with the fact there were no wet landinngs.

Whilst I respect his views most people I spoke to thought it was an excellent trip with very full days.

Isnt it funny how different people regard their meals, I thought that the meal in France, which I had, was overcooked chicken, very tasty but slightly dry.

I await the full review in due course.

We knew this was not going to be an expedition sailing in the true sense. We have been on those (in the Arctic, Antarctic, and the Galapagos) so the expectations certainly were not for that kind of experience.

Taking the non-expedition itinerary out of the equation makes it really a mainstream cruise with limited shore options and Zodiac landings. Judged on that basis. it was really a letdown for us.

Please excuse the disjointed nature of one section and the typing/spelling errors. The site froze Sunday during editing and my only choices were to submit or start over. There was entirely too much to retype, so I hope it is not totally unintelligible.

Archived