May/June or September/October B2B2B Greek Isles, Adriatic/Turkey, and Western Med?

We are in the process of booking a back-to-back-to-back Eastern Mediterranean/Greek I  

3 members have voted

1. 1. We are in the process of booking a back-to-back-to-back Eastern Mediterranean/Greek I

• May/June
    • September/October

We are in the process of booking a back-to-back-to-back Eastern Mediterranean/Greek Isles, Eastern Mediterranean/Adriatic, Greece & Turkey, and Western Mediterranean cruise for 2014. We want to choose the "best" weeks in terms of temperature not too hot or too cold, little or no rain, calm seas and smooth sailing, no missed ports, few tourists, few children, etc. We have been looking at various weeks in September and October. We are of the understanding that those are the "best" months to go. However, we're getting some feedback to consider May and/or June. We understand that weather is unpredictable and that any week can be good or bad. However, we want to choose the weeks that will have the best chances of good weather. I am in the process of reviewing the data on http://www.wunderground.com. It's helping and overwhelming me at the same time. We'd like any and all feedback based on your experiences of cruising the Mediterranean in May/June vs. September/October. Thank you so much!

We are in the process of booking a back-to-back-to-back Eastern Mediterranean/Greek Isles, Eastern Mediterranean/Adriatic, Greece & Turkey, and Western Mediterranean cruise for 2014. We want to choose the "best" weeks in terms of temperature not too hot or too cold, little or no rain, calm seas and smooth sailing, no missed ports, few tourists, few children, etc. We have been looking at various weeks in September and October. We are of the understanding that those are the "best" months to go. However, we're getting some feedback to consider May and/or June. We understand that weather is unpredictable and that any week can be good or bad. However, we want to choose the weeks that will have the best chances of good weather. I am in the process of reviewing the data on http://www.wunderground.com. It's helping and overwhelming me at the same time. We'd like any and all feedback based on your experiences of cruising the Mediterranean in May/June vs. September/October. Thank you so much!

Lots of factors and variables are involved!! Plus, some good luck on great weather. Much is personal choices and desires. Both of our past Med cruises have been in mid June and these have worked out very, very well. In 2006 for Greek Isles and Turkish Coast, Athens to Istanbul. And, 2011 (as detailed below in my live/blog) from Barcelona doing key Italy and Croatian Coast highlights. We have done many other Europe land trips, totaling visits to 22 different countries in Europe.

For our needs/interests, we like a late spring trip as that provides some relief from the challenges of dealing with our winters, cold, snow, etc., in the midwest. For the fall, we have already had the fun and escapes of the summer, so a "fall escape" is not as vital in our viewpoint. Plus, for us in the midwest, fall is college football time, nice season-changing weather, etc. "Escape" at that time of the year is not as vital and needed. That's personal!!! Not all approach this timing issue in that manner. Tell us more on your personal needs, desires, likes, history of travel, etc.

From the London Telegraph newspaper this morning, they have this headline: "Why June is the only time to travel" with these highlights: "Time to think about heading south instead, and it you aren’t tied to school vacations, you couldn’t pick a better time to travel. Book a holiday to the Mediterranean this month and you can travel at more sociable times, through less crowded ports and airports, on emptier planes and motorways, and pay significantly less for the privilege than you ever can in high season. And there are plenty of other plus points too - here are ten to tempt you. 1. Less heat: Heat is a subjective experience of course, but for me, June temperatures in the Med offer a perfect balance - it’s warm enough to sit in the sun, but not too hot to go walking or sightseeing when you get bored, and cool enough to sleep at night without the air conditioning roaring in the background. In Majorca for example the average June peak temperature is 25C during the day and drops to a comfortable 17C at night; in August the spread is 29C - 20C. 2. More light: As we all know, June in the northern hemisphere is the lightest and brightest month of the year. The sun will linger longer on the beaches, and the sunset fall later in the evening. And I should mention that June is just as dry as July and August all around the Med. You will be very unlucky to have any significant rain. 3. Fewer people: Compared with July and August, the ports and airports this month will be calmer, quieter, cooler and far less stressful - especially of you can book to travel midweek; the sights will be less crowded; you have more chance of getting a table in a restaurant, are more likely to get a better room in your hotel and, after a shorter queue at the car hire desk, you will have more chance of a free upgrade."

This writer details in the full story, seven other reasons or factors on why he rates June as the best option. Worth checking out this writing.

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-advice/10088713/Why-June-is-the-only-time-to-travel.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 131,582 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Lots of factors and variables are involved!! Plus, some good luck on great weather. Much is personal choices and desires. Both of our past Med cruises have been in mid June and these have worked out very, very well. In 2006 for Greek Isles and Turkish Coast, Athens to Istanbul. And, 2011 (as detailed below in my live/blog) from Barcelona doing key Italy and Croatian Coast highlights. We have done many other Europe land trips, totaling visits to 22 different countries in Europe.

For our needs/interests, we like a late spring trip as that provides some relief from the challenges of dealing with our winters, cold, snow, etc., in the midwest. For the fall, we have already had the fun and escapes of the summer, so a "fall escape" is not as vital in our viewpoint. Plus, for us in the midwest, fall is college football time, nice season-changing weather, etc. "Escape" at that time of the year is not as vital and needed. That's personal!!! Not all approach this timing issue in that manner. Tell us more on your personal needs, desires, likes, history of travel, etc.

From the London Telegraph newspaper this morning, they have this headline: "Why June is the only time to travel" with these highlights: "Time to think about heading south instead, and it you aren’t tied to school vacations, you couldn’t pick a better time to travel. Book a holiday to the Mediterranean this month and you can travel at more sociable times, through less crowded ports and airports, on emptier planes and motorways, and pay significantly less for the privilege than you ever can in high season. And there are plenty of other plus points too - here are ten to tempt you. 1. Less heat: Heat is a subjective experience of course, but for me, June temperatures in the Med offer a perfect balance - it’s warm enough to sit in the sun, but not too hot to go walking or sightseeing when you get bored, and cool enough to sleep at night without the air conditioning roaring in the background. In Majorca for example the average June peak temperature is 25C during the day and drops to a comfortable 17C at night; in August the spread is 29C - 20C. 2. More light: As we all know, June in the northern hemisphere is the lightest and brightest month of the year. The sun will linger longer on the beaches, and the sunset fall later in the evening. And I should mention that June is just as dry as July and August all around the Med. You will be very unlucky to have any significant rain. 3. Fewer people: Compared with July and August, the ports and airports this month will be calmer, quieter, cooler and far less stressful - especially of you can book to travel midweek; the sights will be less crowded; you have more chance of getting a table in a restaurant, are more likely to get a better room in your hotel and, after a shorter queue at the car hire desk, you will have more chance of a free upgrade."

This writer details in the full story, seven other reasons or factors on why he rates June as the best option. Worth checking out this writing.

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-advice/10088713/Why-June-is-the-only-time-to-travel.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 131,582 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Wow! You are amazing! Once again! Thank you for this great assessment! June might just be the way to go!

We have travelled to the Med area many times, always May or October and we have had a mixed bag of weather each time. We are going again this October. Maybe the next time we will try end of May/early June.

Someone mentioned A/C. Without the A/C, if you need to open the windows, you may have a problem with mosquitos. They don't believe in screens in Europe!

We have travelled to the Med area many times' date=' always May or October and we have had a mixed bag of weather each time. We are going again this October. Maybe the next time we will try end of May/early June.

Someone mentioned A/C. Without the A/C, if you need to open the windows, you may have a problem with mosquitos. They don't believe in screens in Europe![/quote']

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback. Can you elaborate on your weather experiencees in May vs October? Thanks in advance!

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback. Can you elaborate on your weather experiencees in May vs October? Thanks in advance!

It's really luck. We started by going in October. Then a friend said she goes in May and has better weather. So we switched to May...and it poured!

A couple of years ago, we were in Barcelona in Oct for 2 weeks. The first few days it really rained. Later we had nicer weather.

One year we did a transatlantic cruise in May. When we hit Cannes, it was not too bad... drizzly. When we got to Italy, the sky opened up. It poured in Cinque Terre. I was so disappointed. As long as my husband got good photos, he didn't care! It poured for 5 days in Rome (off and on). We kept ducking the rain.

The only plus I can think of in May is that the days are longer.

This next trip we are doing in Oct. My friend who recommended May is joining us. She is luckier with weather than we are. I told her we are counting on her!!!

It's really luck. We started by going in October. Then a friend said she goes in May and has better weather. So we switched to May...and it poured!

A couple of years ago' date=' we were in Barcelona in Oct for 2 weeks. The first few days it really rained. Later we had nicer weather.

One year we did a transatlantic cruise in May. When we hit Cannes, it was not too bad... drizzly. When we got to Italy, the sky opened up. It poured in Cinque Terre. I was so disappointed. As long as my husband got good photos, he didn't care! It poured for 5 days in Rome (off and on). We kept ducking the rain.

The only plus I can think of in May is that the days are longer.

This next trip we are doing in Oct. My friend who recommended May is joining us. She is luckier with weather than we are. I told her we are counting on her!!![/quote']

Yeah, others have mentioned the longer days. I hadn't thought of that initially. But now I am intrigued by that. I think that would make a huge difference for me.

Just to let you know, the Western Med has had very unreliable weather over the past few weeks; I had a friend who cruised for 2 weeks from 11th May this year & there was sunshine but cool winds & they had to wear extra layers during the day. My parents went to Malta in early May & did not have great weather until the last few days of their holiday. The Med had not had a very good winter/spring weather wise at all generally this year, as with a lot of Europe - we're in the UK & it's only just started warming up now!

I also have friends just returned from Turkey this week; Marmaris area & the temperature has been up in the high 20's - early 30's.

I would certainly opt for early June as my first choice - longer days & more reliable weather. Having said that, we are tied to travel in July/August & we love the heat & although the ships are busy, have never felt trips or travel onshore to be overly busy anywhere!!

Just to let you know, the Western Med has had very unreliable weather over the past few weeks; I had a friend who cruised for 2 weeks from 11th May this year & there was sunshine but cool winds & they had to wear extra layers during the day. My parents went to Malta in early May & did not have great weather until the last few days of their holiday. The Med had not had a very good winter/spring weather wise at all generally this year, as with a lot of Europe - we're in the UK & it's only just started warming up now!

I also have friends just returned from Turkey this week; Marmaris area & the temperature has been up in the high 20's - early 30's.

I would certainly opt for early June as my first choice - longer days & more reliable weather. Having said that, we are tied to travel in July/August & we love the heat & although the ships are busy, have never felt trips or travel onshore to be overly busy anywhere!!

Thank you so much! That is very helpful! I really appreciate it! I think we are leaning towards May 24-June 15.

I would go with May (if early) or September.

Keith

Thanks again. As always, I appreciate your help. Unfortunately, early May is not a possibility for us. The earliest we could go would be May 24-June 15.

Thank you so much! That is very helpful! I really appreciate it! I think we are leaning towards May 24-June 15.

I've replied to you in another post; if you want to avoid school holiday periods; one of the UK's main school holiday weeks is currently 24-31 May & tends to be roughly the same every year as it fits around a public holiday date so you might want to push your dates forward by one week. From 2006-2008 we holidayed on land based holidays in Turkey for 3 years running over the last two weeks of May and the very last week of May was always busier than the previous week. Having said that, going on a cruise holiday you should be fine although you may find the cruise prices are slightly higher incorporating that main holiday week & the ship may be busier; depends if the cruise line you use sells to many in the UK market or not?

We have always been very lucky with the weather in Turkey at that time of year - always shorts & T-shirts during the day and temperatures have been 25+ up to 40 degrees during the day.

Good choice of time of year I would say & lovely choice of itinerary - some beautiful places in the Med; not sure if you are looking at incorporating the Adriatic including Venice, Dubrovnik, Croatia & Kotor - we did an Adriatic cruise and it has to one of the most stunning for scenery & beautiful sail-ins!

I've replied to you in another post; if you want to avoid school holiday periods; one of the UK's main school holiday weeks is currently 24-31 May & tends to be roughly the same every year as it fits around a public holiday date so you might want to push your dates forward by one week. From 2006-2008 we holidayed on land based holidays in Turkey for 3 years running over the last two weeks of May and the very last week of May was always busier than the previous week. Having said that, going on a cruise holiday you should be fine although you may find the cruise prices are slightly higher incorporating that main holiday week & the ship may be busier; depends if the cruise line you use sells to many in the UK market or not?

We have always been very lucky with the weather in Turkey at that time of year - always shorts & T-shirts during the day and temperatures have been 25+ up to 40 degrees during the day.

Good choice of time of year I would say & lovely choice of itinerary - some beautiful places in the Med; not sure if you are looking at incorporating the Adriatic including Venice, Dubrovnik, Croatia & Kotor - we did an Adriatic cruise and it has to one of the most stunning for scenery & beautiful sail-ins!

Thank you so much! That is very helpful! I really appreciate it! So you would recommend doing May 31-June 22 instead?? Yes, we go to all of the places you mention!

Thank you so much! That is very helpful! I really appreciate it! So you would recommend doing May 31-June 22 instead?? Yes, we go to all of the places you mention!

If you want to avoid school holidays, I would go for 31 May instead - I have just checked & the UK holidays are from 23rd-30th May in 2014. Of course I am not sure when any other European school holidays are but they tend to have longer terms in the spring but finish earlier ie early July as generally Europe gets the better weather so they break up before it gets too hot!

We did the B2b Adriatic & Aegean in August and even though it was hot, it was hotter in the Aegean week than the Adriatic so you should be ok in June weather wise; my parents did a small boat cruise of the Croatian Islands last year in June & had excellent weather every day for 2 weeks. You may find Greece & Turkey are hotter but you are sure to get guaranteed sunshine in June!

The sail-ins to Venice & Kotor have to be the most beautiful, especially at that time of year; you should see it all as the sun rises - it is awesome!

If you want to avoid school holidays, I would go for 31 May instead - I have just checked & the UK holidays are from 23rd-30th May in 2014. Of course I am not sure when any other European school holidays are but they tend to have longer terms in the spring but finish earlier ie early July as generally Europe gets the better weather so they break up before it gets too hot!

We did the B2b Adriatic & Aegean in August and even though it was hot, it was hotter in the Aegean week than the Adriatic so you should be ok in June weather wise; my parents did a small boat cruise of the Croatian Islands last year in June & had excellent weather every day for 2 weeks. You may find Greece & Turkey are hotter but you are sure to get guaranteed sunshine in June!

The sail-ins to Venice & Kotor have to be the most beautiful, especially at that time of year; you should see it all as the sun rises - it is awesome!

Your are tempting me towards June now. We had settled on September/October. It was $1,200 more to do May 24-June 15 than to do September 13-October 5. It's probably even more expensive to do May 31-June 22. But maybe it's worth it. I'll check today.

Your are tempting me towards June now. We had settled on September/October. It was $1,200 more to do May 24-June 15 than to do September 13-October 5. It's probably even more expensive to do May 31-June 22. But maybe it's worth it. I'll check today.

Don't change it. If you decide for May, a one week school holiday in Britain will not be a factor in terms of crowds or kids on the ship you are on the last week of May. Be more concerned from the third week in June when all the other countries you are visiting (plus most of the US) start their own holidays. That's when the crowds really get started. May 24-June 15 is still the best early option, equal to Sept 13. (I still like Sept better.) The reason it is more expensive is that it is a more popular period.

Don't change it. If you decide for May, a one week school holiday in Britain will not be a factor in terms of crowds or kids on the ship you are on the last week of May. Be more concerned from the third week in June when all the other countries you are visiting (plus most of the US) start their own holidays. That's when the crowds really get started. May 24-June 15 is still the best early option, equal to Sept 13. (I still like Sept better.) The reason it is more expensive is that it is a more popular period.

Ooh! Good point! I will book May 24-June 15. Then I will stop worrying and make the decision when it gets closer! ;)

Archived