Cheers.....too expensive?

saphir

We were debating doing this, since we both drink a fair bit and have a high tolerance. However, with the increase in the price, the limit of 15, and the pressure to reach 15 to "get my money's worth" (I know, it seems like those are on opposite ends of the spectrum but some days you drink more than others!), it just seems like more of a hassle than something that would make my cruise more enjoyable.

You only need to drink 7 or 8 to get your moneys worth. 15 is the maximum benefit.

You only need to drink 7 or 8 to get your moneys worth. 15 is the maximum benefit.

True, but that is daily. Depending on the day, I might start drinking with breakfast and easily hit 15 and not be drunk (my liver gets a workout!), but on another day if I spend the day in port, I might only have one or two.

True, but that is daily. Depending on the day, I might start drinking with breakfast and easily hit 15 and not be drunk (my liver gets a workout!), but on another day if I spend the day in port, I might only have one or two.

Yeah, that is what I was saying in another post. With this price increase they should make it unlimited or roll drinks over to the next day if you don't use them. Because on port days we take the full time we are allowed exploring the port and shopping. Hopefully there are more changes to come to it.

The only other thing is wait to buy it til the 2nd day, it makes it like $680, which isn't too bad. Sailing out of Texas and if we decide to do it, we have to wait til day 2 to get it.

Sure you can work the program to make it pay, but changing your drinking habits to make it pay may not make sense for a lot of people.

It should be pointed out that even with the increase, it is still a lot cheaper then buying 15 drinks a day. The break even point is around 7.

We would not be changing our drinking habits just changing the quality of the liquor in them. Patron is one of our favorites but at $9.95 it is an expensive shot. Did not think about it only being 7 drinks to break even. I guess if they do not change the program before November again it is still a good deal for us.

I know this is my own personal experience.....

We totaled the final bill of our previous 2 cruises prior to our last cruise in april, we thought we had been heavy drinkers and would benefit from the cheers program on the upcoming cruise. We was in shock when our totals was under $280 for both of us on each of the totaled bills. So we decided to pass on cheers. Taking into account we purchased a 1L bottle from bon voyage ($80), had the past guest party where we got sloshed :) Had an all inclusive day in cozumel (lord how did we make it back to the boat?) we just couldnt make the numbers work for us.

Im sure your mileage will varry!

ALL of the adults need to have 7-8 a day for you to break even. This is easier said than done unless everyone's a big drinker. I can break even on this easily, but they'd get their money back from pretty much anyone I had in the cabin with me.

...if the Cheers package is something we'd be interested in.

Dh and I are not big drinkers, but we'll be on vacation and won't be driving so we'll probably drink much more than usual. Also with us is our 19 year old - who can't legally drink on the boat - so that leaves two Cheers passes to think about.

I'm thinking that if it takes 5-6 drinks to break even and if we have at least 2 glasses of wine with dinner each night - we really only need to have a couple of drinks in the afternoon to break even, right?

And we can order more expensive wine than we would normally order and fancier cocktails than we'd normally order and we do like our Corona. I am starting to think this could be good for us - with the biggest benefit being that it's paid for - no surprises, no worrying about whether or not to order the $7 glass of wine or the $9 glass of wine - let's just have what we want. I like it.

At the beginning of this thread there was mention of the premium package that included coffee. Does that include any specialty coffee drinks, cappicinno (sp?) or just premium coffee?

Thanks!

Do the other lines make you buy a second "drink pass" (or more if you have more adults in the cabin)... there's where the extra cost can really hit you.

So it's more like $115 a day, which requires two people to drink $805, with gratuity, of alcohol to break even. When you look at it like that... you almost have to be the world champion of alcoholism to get the job done unless the other adult(s) in the cabin are going to hold up their end of the bargain. My worst tabs are still much less than that. More than buying one cheers package, but nothing *that* insane.

Royal requires everyone in the cabin 21 and older just like Carnival.

• 2 weeks later...

Our last cruise- 2009 was 4 ports. Never thought we were big drinkers but when I just looked up my sail & sign I see that our bar bill( all alcohol incl. wine) was 725.00. That was 4 years ago with 4 ports. Our next cruise is in July with 3 ports and we are only getting off the ship for 2 so it looks like Cheers will be worth it for us!! Getting excited......

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We just got off from the Freedom yesterday...we didn't think it was worth it for us so we didn't purchase it...but we were sitting in the MDR at brunch and was listening to a couple talk that did purchase it and they were saying that they were not happy with it.....

Did you hear Why??

RCCL is $55.00 a day and everyone in the room over 21 has to purchase it.

We are going to try it due to the fact we have 3 sea days and one port is their private island and the drinks are included there too. So that will be 5 full days No limit to the amount of drinks per day. (5th day being embarkation day).

But everything else is pretty much matching up to Carnival's program. We will see how we fare and go from there towards the next Carnival cruise in Jan.:cool:

RCCL is $55.00 a day and everyone in the room over 21 has to purchase it.

We are going to try it due to the fact we have 3 sea days and one port is their private island and the drinks are included there too. So that will be 5 full days No limit to the amount of drinks per day. (5th day being embarkation day).

But everything else is pretty much matching up to Carnival's program. We will see how we fare and go from there towards the next Carnival cruise in Jan.:cool:

If its the cruise in your signature, I don't think it'll be available on your paradise cruise. :(

I'm new to cruising, I'll be on the Sunshine Nov 18th. My question is can I select which days I want to purchase the CHEERS program? It will definitely be worth it for me and my wife on sailing days, but not on port days.

Archived