Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

She looks wonderful. Like a trimmer and fit version of the Oasis Class.

Thank-you to all who have posted pictures throughout this entire thread.

I agree. A very nice looking ship but i think most of us feel that one thing RCCL does extremely well is design and build ships. By far the leader in the industry. :) I also noticed from the recent float out photos that RCI has continued the nice sized generous balconies compared to the recent Princess and NCL new builds.

Edited by cruisingator2

Are we going to keep this thread going for the remaining Anthem construction? I'm not ready to say goodbye to this little Quantum family yet!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I would hope so. I've been get my daily fix here. Still more to come on QOS. Perhaps a separate thread for AOS?

She looks wonderful. Like a trimmer and fit version of the Oasis Class.

Thank-you to all who have posted pictures throughout this entire thread.

I agree! She does look like the handsome offspring of Solstice and Oasis!

And I hope we keep the thread going :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by sparkx

That's in the "Next Big Reveal!" Shhhhhh! :eek:

Perhaps Maury Povich will be involved, with some DNA results?

"When it comes to baby Quantum, Oasis, you are... NOT the father!" :eek:

I have a few of questions:

1) What exactly are they/will they be doing with her while she is outside?

2) When will she start her sea trials?

3) Who is going to take pictures of her while she is out to sea? :D:D:D

I posted this a couple of days ago:

As mentioned earlier, it's roughly 6 weeks after they float the ship out of the builders shed before the Ems River conveyance. Turning the ship 180 degrees serves a few purposes: testing the engines and thrusters, installation of the starboard side lifeboats, and the ship must be in the 'stern first' orientation for the conveyance.

They have lots to do to outfit the ship (finish the interior public spaces and top side spaces) before she departs Papenburg. Once she leaves there's no going back for 'touch up work' or other outfitting/repairs. But she won't be outfitted completely as to keep her draft as shallow as possible for the 12+ hour trip to Eemshaven. She'll likely spend a couple of days there before proceeding into the North Sea for sea trials, which take about a week or so.

As for aerial imagery while she is at sea both the shipyard and RCI will have this contracted out to make sure they get some of those dramatic pictures of her doing high speed runs. ;)

They'll finish her outfitting in Eemshaven and stock the ship there before she is handed over and departs for her first revenue port of departure.

:D

Are we going to keep this thread going for the remaining Anthem construction? I'm not ready to say goodbye to this little Quantum family yet!

Almost 300k views!

I dare to compare other lines builds, do they get as big, or as much info I have seen here ?

I did one (an 'Everything' thread) for the new Royal Princess which entered service in June 2013. It is the most viewed (669,300 views) and most replied to thread (5,319 posts) in the history of the Cruise Critic Princess Cruises Forum.

When Regal Princess came along I started a separate thread because the other one was so large it had to be Closed.

This Quantum thread should continue at least until the Maiden Voyage begins and she arrives in NYC unless someone is doing a Live thread from the ship.

I posted this a couple of days ago:

As mentioned earlier, it's roughly 6 weeks after they float the ship out of the builders shed before the Ems River conveyance. Turning the ship 180 degrees serves a few purposes: testing the engines and thrusters, installation of the starboard side lifeboats, and the ship must be in the 'stern first' orientation for the conveyance.

They have lots to do to outfit the ship (finish the interior public spaces and top side spaces) before she departs Papenburg. Once she leaves there's no going back for 'touch up work' or other outfitting/repairs. But she won't be outfitted completely as to keep her draft as shallow as possible for the 12+ hour trip to Eemshaven. She'll likely spend a couple of days there before proceeding into the North Sea for sea trials, which take about a week or so.

As for aerial imagery while she is at sea both the shipyard and RCI will have this contracted out to make sure they get some of those dramatic pictures of her doing high speed runs. ;)

They'll finish her outfitting in Eemshaven and stock the ship there before she is handed over and departs for her first revenue port of departure.

Can you explain why the "stern" first conveyance is necessary?

Can you explain why the "stern" first conveyance is necessary?

I've seen this posted a couple of times. Why is this?

From what's been reported on other threads, the tugs doing the tow/guiding have much better control over the ship when she is going stern first. Here's an article from when the Norwegian Getaway did hers....

"Sailing backwards, Norwegian Getaway left MEYER WERFT at approximately 10 p.m. (local time in Germany), and made a narrow passage through the ship yard's locks, with only 1.6 meters clearance separating the ship from the "bumpers" that were specially installed along the starboard side of the locks. This very tedious maneuver took approximately 1.5 hours at a maximum speed of only 0.2 knots. The precise navigation was led by a team of two located on the bridge, with one navigation officer in charge of overseeing the bow maneuvers and the other overseeing the movement of the stern. It was extremely important that not too much force was placed on the bumpers, which can only support a light touch by the ship, which measures 1063 feet long and 130 feet wide; therefore, minimum speed and minimum pressure on the bumpers was essential. After passing through the locks, Norwegian Getaway continued along the river, stern first. Due to the strong propulsion in the aft section of the vessel, traveling stern first helps with maneuverability which is a key component when navigating the vessel through such narrow passages. Before reaching her final destination in Eemshaven, Germany at 5 p.m. (local time in Germany) today, heading toward the North Sea, Norwegian Getaway will pass through additional narrow passages including the locks in Papenburg, which allow only 1.5 meter clearance on either side; Weener Bridge in Weener; Jann-Berghaus Bridge in Leer; and Ems-Barrier in Gandersum."

The stern-first orientation helps for the long journey down the Ems River with its many twists and turns, and not just through the locks and bridges.

I've 'watched' quite a few of these new builds at Meyer Werft for the past decade. It's always amazing to watch them grow from little modules to a big, beautiful cruise ship, then leave the shipyard for the final time. There's always a LIVE broadcast feed, so we'll also get to see Quantum of the Seas depart and head down river as well.

Edited by dmwnc1959

I suppose that we could.

7299bb385263b66e5b9121198b589935.jpg

From http://www.noz.de/lokales/papenburg/artikel/498888/premiere-beim-schiffbau-auf-der-meyer-werft#lightbox&0&1&498888

Both Anthem of the Seas megablocks back inside Hall 6.

bloecke-anthem-of-the-seas-meyer-werft_full.jpg

6d25a13b470c8129ac3d12415cc82f92.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

From what's been reported on other threads, the tugs doing the tow/guiding have much better control over the ship when she is going stern first. Here's an article from when the Norwegian Getaway did hers....

"Sailing backwards, Norwegian Getaway left MEYER WERFT at approximately 10 p.m. (local time in Germany), and made a narrow passage through the ship yard's locks, with only 1.6 meters clearance separating the ship from the "bumpers" that were specially installed along the starboard side of the locks. This very tedious maneuver took approximately 1.5 hours at a maximum speed of only 0.2 knots. The precise navigation was led by a team of two located on the bridge, with one navigation officer in charge of overseeing the bow maneuvers and the other overseeing the movement of the stern. It was extremely important that not too much force was placed on the bumpers, which can only support a light touch by the ship, which measures 1063 feet long and 130 feet wide; therefore, minimum speed and minimum pressure on the bumpers was essential. After passing through the locks, Norwegian Getaway continued along the river, stern first. Due to the strong propulsion in the aft section of the vessel, traveling stern first helps with maneuverability which is a key component when navigating the vessel through such narrow passages. Before reaching her final destination in Eemshaven, Germany at 5 p.m. (local time in Germany) today, heading toward the North Sea, Norwegian Getaway will pass through additional narrow passages including the locks in Papenburg, which allow only 1.5 meter clearance on either side; Weener Bridge in Weener; Jann-Berghaus Bridge in Leer; and Ems-Barrier in Gandersum."

The stern-first orientation helps for the long journey down the Ems River with its many twists and turns, and not just through the locks and bridges.

I've 'watched' quite a few of these new builds at Meyer Werft for the past decade. It's always amazing to watch them grow from little modules to a big, beautiful cruise ship, then leave the shipyard for the final time. There's always a LIVE broadcast feed, so we'll also get to see Quantum of the Seas depart and head down river as well.

Absolutely fascinating!!