Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

Here's a rumour then with the imminent announcement. How about Anthem is being built first and they are ahead of schedule so Quantum would not be affected.

With Getaway leaving early rather than leave a half empty dry dock until they lay all of Quantums base blocks to then float her forward they could lay all Anthems now in front. Get her done then finish Quantum?

Just a random thought of course. But it makes maximum efficiency of dry dock space now if blocks are ready! :confused:

I believe those blocks will be taken out of the dry dock until Quantum is floated forward.

Here's a rumour then with the imminent announcement. How about Anthem is being built first and they are ahead of schedule so Quantum would not be affected.

With Getaway leaving early rather than leave a half empty dry dock until they lay all of Quantums base blocks to then float her forward they could lay all Anthems now in front. Get her done then finish Quantum?

Just a random thought of course. But it makes maximum efficiency of dry dock space now if blocks are ready! :confused:

Very interesting theory! The question then is, were is the divider in the building dock between the two ships? Is there more room in the back section of the building dock where Quantum is or forward where Anthem keel blocks are? Its hard to tell from the current picture.

I just posted this in he Anthem Keel thread as well:

I tweeted Royal Carribean PR yesterday after they tweeted the image of the Anthem keel:

Keel in this location just for ceremony?! Shouldn't it be at other end of hall, 'behind' #QuantumofSeas?

I just got this response:

Royal Caribbean PR@RoyalCaribPR54m

No they're each at the proper spots. Here's a bonus pic of Quantum in drydock for having a such a good eye!

BZhsqvhCAAE1qnv.jpg:large

I just tweeted back asking them basically "Huh?"

Edited by Lloyd555

I just posted this in he Anthem Keel thread as well:

I tweeted Royal Carribean PR yesterday after they tweeted the image of the Anthem keel:

Keel in this location just for ceremony?! Shouldn't it be at other end of hall, 'behind' #QuantumofSeas?

I just got this response:

Royal Caribbean PR@RoyalCaribPR54m

No they're each at the proper spots. Here's a bonus pic of Quantum in drydock for having a such a good eye!

BZhsqvhCAAE1qnv.jpg:large

I just tweeted back asking them basically "Huh?"

That is interesting Lloyd. Looking at the new picture it seems that Quantum has the longer part of the building dock. I cannot see the dock divider here.

So I asked:

Isn't it (Anthem) in the way of the Quantum which foats out before the Anthem? What's the plan?

Got back a reply:

No, its not. There are doors in front of #QuantumoftheSeas which open up, when she's ready to go.

:confused:

Um. Have they put in another door and dug up the small parking lot recently?

Someone else can tweet back with the Meyer Werft layout below and get clarification. I don’t want to look like a stalker. :rolleyes:

MWLAYOUT_zps544c0186.png

So I asked:

Isn't it (Anthem) in the way of the Quantum which foats out before the Anthem? What's the plan?

Got back a reply:

No, its not. There are doors in front of #QuantumoftheSeas which open up, when she's ready to go.

:confused:

Um. Have they put in another door and dug up the small parking lot recently?

Someone else can tweet back with the Meyer Werft layout below and get clarification. I don’t want to look like a stalker. :rolleyes:

MWLAYOUT_zps544c0186.png

What! Did they miss the fact that Anthem is "in front" of Quantum?

So now I am not so sure about the first reply from them.

Well, at least we got a photo out of it all! :)

Anyone else fel free to tweet back to @Royal Caribbean PR.

Maybe we won't get a good answer, but more photos from them to illlustrate their view wouldn't hurt us!! :D

So now I am not so sure about the first reply from them.

Well, at least we got a photo out of it all! :)

Anyone else fel free to tweet back to @Royal Caribbean PR.

Maybe we won't get a good answer, but more photos from them to illlustrate their view wouldn't hurt us!! :D

They've not answered my tweet follow-up on twitter

Let's assume for the moment that the back of hall 6 is still solid ground. From the extra pic we do not see the divider so it looks like there is enough space to complete Quantum. Could Meyer have already moved Quantum forward such that when quantum comes out it will be stern first?

Let's assume for the moment that the back of hall 6 is still solid ground. From the extra pic we do not see the divider so it looks like there is enough space to complete Quantum. Could Meyer have already moved Quantum forward such that when quantum comes out it will be stern first?

Ok so I thought about that. However Quantum stern was built with the aft facing the back wall and the open (jagged to be connected) facing towards the back of Getaway.

That new pic is minus getaway but before Anthem Keel laying I think. To have that the other way around they would have had to move the section one end to the other (probably 10s thousand tonnes) and then swung it around. They move it forward normally when a full base is there to float it forward.

And even if they had doors at the back which they don't there is no access or channel

Edited by Single Cruiser

Just posted the same below on he Anthem thread.

So I sent an e-mail to the RCCL Press.

1st Question I asked

"In looking at the pictures of the keel laying I notice that Anthem Of The Seas is placed in front of Quantum in the Mayer Werft building dock. Is this temporary just for the keel laying or is Anthem going to be completed now first and floated out? "

Response

"Thank you for your email. Anthem of the Seas is scheduled to be delivered in spring 2015 after Quantum of the Seas. The photo that you are seeing is from the back of the hall looking forward and as you can see Quantum is in front."

2nd question I asked and I attached pictures that I saved this time.

"So Quantum has already been moved forward in the building dock to the spot that had NCL Getaway?"

Response

"Yes, Quantum has been forward"

My thoughts and reaction - They have moved Quantum that fast? MW is really good. Wow!

To add to this. I still have my doubts as the huge green cranes are still on the left side of the picture which means we are still looking at the picture and building dock forward.

??? Something is not quite right here. As I mentioned in the other thread, the new photos show the Quantum of the Seas in the spot she's been in all along?!

Geez. I think that the November 21st announcement is that they made a booboo, and in fact they've been building the Anthem of the Seas since the start of the year, not the Quantum of the Seas. That would mean that the Quantum IS closest to the door! :D

??? Something is not quite right here. As I mentioned in the other thread, the new photos show the Quantum of the Seas in the spot she's been in all along?!

Geez. I think that the November 21st announcement is that they made a booboo, and in fact they've been building the Anthem of the Seas since the start of the year, not the Quantum of the Seas. That would mean that the Quantum IS closest to the door! :D

Now that would be a major annoucement.

Lloyd, you might be on to something here!

I posted a possibility in the Anthem keel thread. It might not be a mix up or a boo boo after all.

Here's the link. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=40742412&postcount=42

The announcement today may well be that both are moving along faster than anticipated.

Eric

Lloyd, you might be on to something here!

I posted a possibility in the Anthem keel thread. It might not be a mix up or a boo boo after all.

Here's the link. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=40742412&postcount=42

The announcement today may well be that both are moving along faster than anticipated.

Eric

In that case, I replace the :D at the end of my comment with :cool: ... 'cause I knew it all along. Ya, that's it.

Edited by Lloyd555

In that case, I replace the :D at the end of my comment with :cool: ... 'cause I knew it all along. Ya, that's it.

To me, they are both in the correct spot. If you look at the wording on "Web Cam", when they had 2 cams up it was "WebCam 1" (Looking at getaway) and "Web Cam 2" ... Notice the space inbetween the web and cam for camera 2.

What I think they did is rotated Cam 2, 180 degrees, to point at Quantum which has moved to the front of the building dock. "WebCam 1" is currently offline, well, to us at least.

In summary, the current "Web Cam"(now rotated 180 degrees) in dock 6 WAS "Web Cam 2" when 2 cams were up and running. They moved "WebCam 1" outside when the Getaway was docked outside. My guess is they are moving that cam back inside.

P.S. It is not hard to move a build. My guess is they have rollers in the basin. Citing from my own shipbuilding experience. Moves are generally done over night, so 1st shift can get back to work and not be interrupted.

Edited by hitaway4

To me, they are both in the correct spot. If you look at the wording on "Web Cam", when they had 2 cams up it was "WebCam 1" (Looking at getaway) and "Web Cam 2" ... Notice the space inbetween the web and cam for camera 2.

What I think they did is rotated Cam 2, 180 degrees, to point at Quantum which has moved to the front of the building dock. "WebCam 1" is currently offline, well, to us at least.

In summary, the current "Web Cam"(now rotated 180 degrees) in dock 6 WAS "Web Cam 2" when 2 cams were up and running. They moved "WebCam 1" outside when the Getaway was docked outside. My guess is they are moving that cam back inside.

P.S. It is not hard to move a build. My guess is they have rollers in the basin. Citing from my own shipbuilding experience. Moves are generally done over night, so 1st shift can get back to work and not be interrupted.

Nope. The dry dock if you stand at the entrance and look in has the large side section where they store the blocks and the cranes above them is on the left.

In all those pictures and webcam the blocks and cranes are on the left of the pic which means you are looking towards the back of the dry dock!

Hello,

I am the one, who made the livestream of the float out of the Norwegian Getaway. (the camera is still working:o)

The picture of the keel-laying lets me wonder, too. But I am sure, that the Quantum is still at the back end of the hall, because the cranes are on the left. And due to the fact that the dock divider seems to be mounted again, I would say that the Quantum will stay there. In my opinion they will build a part of the Anthem in front of the Quantum. And when the Quantum is ready to float out, we will see a small float out of the Anthem of the Seas. This could be very interesting!

May it's a strategy to optimize the workflow. That way, the building process of the Quantum isn't interrupted.

Here is another picture of the Quantum of the Seas. I took it directly after the float out of the Norwegian Getaway:

IMG_1111_bearbeitet.jpg

Great photo HD1080ide. If you looked through this thread, you know we are a fan of the adage "A picture is worth a thousand words"! If you have any more photos, you know where to post them!

I agree with what you say about the Quantum and Anthem. The tweets and email replies from Royal Caribbean and the unfortunate errors in the Meyer Werft press release seemed to create more confusion... well for us anyways! :rolleyes:

I figured I might as well go to the people who put the Anthem there, so I emailed Meyer Werft, first mentioning the error at the bottom of the text in the press release:

Photo: The first block of the new cruise ship Quantum of the Seas for Royal Caribbean Cruises is put in place in MEYER WERFT's building dock II.

They changed it to Anthem.

And I asked:

'Wondering why the Anthem keel is being laid in front of the Quantum build. Anthem will be between the Quantum and the door/exit. How will Quantum float out first in 2014?'

This reply was received:

sorry we have changed - it's a block of Anthem of the Seas - and is floated out of the dock before the undocking of the Quantum of the Seas as is the way then free -

sorry for the confusion -

MEYER WERFT GmbH

I very much appreciate their reply.

Go away for a few days and missed all this!

First off, glad to see the Anthem keel block. If watching one Quantum class build wasn't enough, we get two now!

Lloyd, you tweeting, emailing fool! If I give you my bank manager's email, could you get me a better mortgage rate!? ;)

I like HD1080ide and MW's responses.

Edit: Lloyd! Did you mention the lousy web cam image?!

Edited by Tough as Leather

Of course! :D

Didn't call it lousy however!!

Might as well mention it while I had MW's attention!

I will take what I can get !! I can't afford to fly over there, and I'm sure the price for getting caught trespassing would be more then the whole trip.... Thank you for all the info