Oosterdam Recent Reviews

Abe

Typhoon1: I really enjoyed my cruises on the Oosterdam and Noordam. I think the Vista class ships are great - not too big and not too small. Thanks for your input.

We ran into Peppito at one of the bars on our first day, and remembered him from the Nieuw Amsterdam in 2010. He quickly remembered my wife and I and pulled out his Ipad to show us pictures of his now 2 year old daughter. His wife was pregnant when we first met him, so it was nice to get an update.

Enjoy the Big O

Sir Pepito, as I refer to him as, is one of the reasons we continue to sail HAL. A true asset to HAL.

Hi Krazy Kruizers: My friends don't sail until August 18th. I'll be anxious to find out how well they enjoyed the cruise, the food, the ship and the entertainment. I'll report back.

• 1 month later...

My partner and I were on the Oosterdam from July 21 - 28 on a chartered Alaska cruise. We were in room 5124 - a deluxe stateroom with private verandah. Overall, we had a great time on the vacation. The ports (Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan) and Tracy Arm were fantastic. The food in the main dining room is the best I've had on any cruise (we've previously been on NCL, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Azamara and AMA).

For the most part, I thought the public areas of the ship were OK. The decor is a little weird, with the Greek, Asian, and Native American touches. The one area I thought could use some improvement was our stateroom, which was pretty beat up:

• The wall across from the bed had several dents in it
  • The fold-out love-seat had a tear in it
  • The bed was pretty uncomfortable - lumpy and with a noticeable dent where the two smaller beds were pushed together (I realize that mattress comfort is subjective)
  • The carpet was very worn, almost threadbare

Our stateroom attendants were great, though, and kept the room clean. The furniture on the verandah was also in fine shape.

My only other complaint would be that service in the dining room was very slow, and the service there was a little uneven.

Overall, we had a great trip, and were glad to finally experience HAL.

geekguy75: Thank you for the feedback on your recent Oosterdam cruise. I was sorry to hear that your stateroom was not in great condition and especially that the carpet was threadbare. My friends were upgraded to an SY suite for a very reasonable fee so I hope their suite will be in good condition. It's funny - the suite they'll be in is the same one we were in several years ago.

I was also glad to hear that you enjoyed the food and that the ports were great. I have great hopes that my friends will have a wonderful trip.

Thanks again.

I do not know when your friends are going but we'll be on the Oosterdam Aug 25th. It will be our 6th time on that ship and we have enjoyed every cruise on her. Was everything always perfect? I am sure it wasn't but I can not remember anything that was egregious.

Your friends will have a great time.

Laminator: Wow! - 6 times on the Oosterdam. You must really like that ship. I thoroughly enjoyed our voyage on her but that was several years ago. That's why I've been so concerned about her current condition.

My friends are on the August 18th voyage. I'm sure they'll have a wonderful time and I'm very grateful to you and all the other posters who have responded.

Just returned from HAL Oosterdam cruise to Alaska. It was a Dancing with the Stars cruise. We thought the entire cruise was outstanding..the staff...the food..the ship..the ports. Everything. The bed was outstanding and I want to buy one! I see they even sell them on their website. Has anyone bought one from HAL. I compared the specs with the store sealy's and they are not the same.

Just returned from a nine week contract on Oosterdam including the DWTS and RSVP cruises. I think you'll like her; she has a great crew and a very outgoing, passenger friendly captain. Enjoy your time on her and in God's Country:)

Ginnylovestocruise: My best nights of sleep on any of the 17 cruises I've been on have been on the Oosterdam and Noordam. I remember those mattresses quite fondly. I too would love to have one on my bed. I was sorry to hear that geekguy75 had lumpy mattresses in his stateroom so I was relieved to hear that your mattresses were so comfortable. I guess it's the luck of the draw.

Copper10-8: Thank you for your positive comments and perspectives from the staff side of the Oosterdam.

Thanks to both of you for your posts.

Just returned from a nine week contract on Oosterdam including the DWTS and RSVP cruises. I think you'll like her; she has a great crew and a very outgoing, passenger friendly captain. Enjoy your time on her and in God's Country:)

Copper...Is Pepito the beverage server still on the Oosterdam? Plus do you have any clue where Boozie is?

Copper...Is Pepito the beverage server still on the Oosterdam? Plus do you have any clue where Boozie is?

Hi Laminator; Bev. Attd. Pepito Cruz is still on OSDM, until DEC this year. Sorry, can't help you with "Booz Booz" current assignment - He's not on OSDM

[quote name='Copper10-8'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Hi Laminator; Bev. Attd. Pepito Cruz is still on OSDM, until DEC this year. Sorry, can't help you with "Booz Booz" current assignment - He's not on OSDM[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Thank you kindly sir!!!!

That young man is a tremendous asset to HAL!!!! We are always very happy to see him.

Archived