Reader's Digest Diet

Has anyone tried this 21 day plan? I am on Day 4 of the shakes/soup and already feeling lighter. It will be nice to get to more 'regular' food tomorrow, but the shakes are really good and filling. I had my first soup last night and it was really good. The 'snack' allowed per day leaves something to be desired!

For once I am not cheating at all--haven't had even one chocolate chip--and am hoping I can break the sweets habit I have, as well as too much salt. It seems to be a sensible diet using very healthy foods, if a little tough the first four days.

This does involve a lot more cooking/preperation than I'm used to! The exercise portion is very doable for me as well.

Good luck with this.

At the end of the diet the key is to eat sensibly and not go out and eat a lot.

Keith

How true! Actually that's the key to losing weight, period, adding in exercise as part of the key.

I haven't been eating sensibly, that's the problem.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone tried this 21 day plan? I am on Day 4 of the shakes/soup and already feeling lighter. It will be nice to get to more 'regular' food tomorrow, but the shakes are really good and filling. I had my first soup last night and it was really good. The 'snack' allowed per day leaves something to be desired!

For once I am not cheating at all--haven't had even one chocolate chip--and am hoping I can break the sweets habit I have, as well as too much salt. It seems to be a sensible diet using very healthy foods, if a little tough the first four days.

This does involve a lot more cooking/preperation than I'm used to! The exercise portion is very doable for me as well.

What is this diet?

What is this diet?

It's a diet developed by the editor of Reader's Digest. She has also written the "Flat Belly Diet", I believe. It has three phases; a 5 day fast start (mostly shakes and soup), a second phase of about 10 days that has one shake a day and two other meals, and a 3rd stage that goes back to more normal meals.

I did the first two stages with little to no 'cheating', though I did substitute some foods that I couldn't find or didn't like, which is allowed. I lost 6 pounds. I am modifying the third stage because so many of the meals suggested are not foods I like, use multiple, expensive ingredients, and take a lot of preperation. Also, since my DH probably wouldn't eat any of it, I don't want to make two different meals. I mostly eat according to plan for breakfast and lunch, still healthy but more liberal foods for dinner or eating out.

The diet is very low in salt, sugar and processed foods--very similar to a Mediterranean diet, I would say, in the later stages. I did not have my usual cravings for salty/sweet snacks and really never felt hungry.

The basis of the book is that there are certain foods that help trigger weight loss, such as olive oil, coconut milk, certain spices, etc. I'm not sure I buy into quite all of this, but it is a sensible way to eat and I think I will carry on with the main idea quite well in regular life.

Right now I am doing a modified version of the second stage and also doing two low-carb days a week. I haven't weighed lately, but my clothes are definitely fitting better.

It's a diet developed by the editor of Reader's Digest. She has also written the "Flat Belly Diet", I believe. It has three phases; a 5 day fast start (mostly shakes and soup), a second phase of about 10 days that has one shake a day and two other meals, and a 3rd stage that goes back to more normal meals.

I did the first two stages with little to no 'cheating', though I did substitute some foods that I couldn't find or didn't like, which is allowed. I lost 6 pounds. I am modifying the third stage because so many of the meals suggested are not foods I like, use multiple, expensive ingredients, and take a lot of preperation. Also, since my DH probably wouldn't eat any of it, I don't want to make two different meals. I mostly eat according to plan for breakfast and lunch, still healthy but more liberal foods for dinner or eating out.

The diet is very low in salt, sugar and processed foods--very similar to a Mediterranean diet, I would say, in the later stages. I did not have my usual cravings for salty/sweet snacks and really never felt hungry.

The basis of the book is that there are certain foods that help trigger weight loss, such as olive oil, coconut milk, certain spices, etc. I'm not sure I buy into quite all of this, but it is a sensible way to eat and I think I will carry on with the main idea quite well in regular life.

Right now I am doing a modified version of the second stage and also doing two low-carb days a week. I haven't weighed lately, but my clothes are definitely fitting better.

Thanks for the info. I will have to check it out further.

Archived