Trap for mobile phone/tablet users

I have heard of two cases recently whereby friends on cruiseships in Aussie ports have used their devices (for data/internet) whilst onboard the ship but docked alongside in an Aussie port- and have incurred big costs. One had a prepaid Telstra tablet -- I am not sure if the other was prepaid or post paid.

Neither knows why at this time -- I am thinking that these devices will usually log automatically onto the most powerful signal they find and hence they have logged onto the ships phone service instead of the Telstra service in the area.

Anyway - the main trap is for data/internet use for which charges for "International" roaming are VERY high, but the general principle would also apply to voice phone calls. Be careful!!!!

Barry

Hi You always need to check your connection when you are near a WIFI hotspot if you are using a USB or internal Sim you can set this as your default and block other servers

Go to connections and it is the wireless LAN you want to disable if you do not want to connect to available wifi

Hi You always need to check your connection when you are near a WIFI hotspot if you are using a USB or internal Sim you can set this as your default and block other servers

Go to connections and it is the wireless LAN you want to disable if you do not want to connect to available wifi

I don't think this is a wifi issue and changing your wifi settings won't help. It sounds like they have connected to the ship's Cellular at Sea (or similar) service which will be using international roaming charges. These services are usually shut down in port but for American ships in Australian ports they may leave it on as a courtesy to international guests.

This shouldn't happen if you make sure data roaming is turned off on your phone, as it should be whenever you leave the country.

I don't think this is a wifi issue and changing your wifi settings won't help. It sounds like they have connected to the ship's Cellular at Sea (or similar) service which will be using international roaming charges. These services are usually shut down in port but for American ships in Australian ports they may leave it on as a courtesy to international guests.

This shouldn't happen if you make sure data roaming is turned off on your phone, as it should be whenever you leave the country.

GEK

They were both Pacific Dawn. One was " I know not" but the other was a Telstra prepaid mobile wifi. I don't even know if this latter one has the ability to turn Roaming on and off. I think not - because I have a Telstra prepaid phone (which is basically just a phone and doesn't use data) - and it automatically connects to ANY network that it finds in any country you are in (provided said network has an arrangement with Telstra). It is only post paid Telstra phones that you have to arrange through Telstra to turn International roaming on before departure. Pre-paid do it automatically. In this case, my friend had taken out a $180 prepaid 12 Gig which lasts 12 months -- his "error" chewed through the $180 very quickly and he didn't even know until he checked his account when he returned form the cruise :(

The point of my post is that these people "thought" they were connecting to Telstra. In the circumstances of being alongside in an Aussie port, it would not be too far off the mark to assume this --as I said, a trap just waiting to catch the unwary

Barry

GEK

The point of my post is that these people "thought" they were connecting to Telstra. In the circumstances of being alongside in an Aussie port, it would not be too far off the mark to assume this --as I said, a trap just waiting to catch the unwary

Barry

I can definitely see the problem and it's something that could easily catch someone out. It's never occurred to me that this could happen either.

I would expect that if they were connected to something other than Telstra then their phone/ipad/hotspot should indicate that on the display but that could easily be missed. Definitely something that people need to be aware of.

If anyone wants to know how much it costs to use your phone on a ship check this link:

Just enter CRUISE SHIP SERVICES as the country and you will get Telstra's charges.

Turn Data roaming off! if you cant with a pre paid put the devise in Airplane mode or keep the dongle out/mifi off and only switch back if and when you need to use it.

I thought a server had to notify you if it was switching to another mode of data usage?

Telco crooks at work again:rolleyes:

Its a good warning though as I had never thought about it! I put my smart phone in Airplane mode and switch off data but my tablet is wifi only so if I was using a dongle via usb for pre paid wifi I just didnt think it would switch to roaming!

I only ever use free wifi on my Tablet so will remember never to bother getting an extra pre paid data plan for it or making my phone a hotspot while on a cruise or overseas:)

I think that many/most have missed the main point of my warning.

I think that most know the danger/cost of using data through a device (phone/tablet) while connected to an overseas phone service via International roaming when travelling overseas.

But my warning is NOT to those travelling overseas - hence thoughts regarding turning off data roaming while overseas is not a matter for consideration in this thread.

My warning is to those -- in Australian waters, tied up alongside an Aussie wharf (OPT, Portside??) - who then bring their devices up to the promenade deck and THINK that they are connecting to the local Telstra service -- but who have in fact unwittingly connected to the ships phone service instead.

Think about it!!!!

Barry

I think that many/most have missed the main point of my warning.

I think that most know the danger/cost of using data through a device (phone/tablet) while connected to an overseas phone service via International roaming when travelling overseas.

But my warning is NOT to those travelling overseas - hence thoughts regarding turning off data roaming while overseas is not a matter for consideration in this thread.

My warning is to those -- in Australian waters, tied up alongside an Aussie wharf (OPT, Portside??) - who then bring their devices up to the promenade deck and THINK that they are connecting to the local Telstra service -- but who have in fact unwittingly connected to the ships phone service instead.

Think about it!!!!

Barry

Yes Barry I think we all understood your point:)

But even before smartphones and Tablets with there data upload/downloads/wifi/mifi the older non smart mobile phones used to sometimes connect to the ships service while in home port instead of the usual carrier and many people got hit with unexpected high charges.

In the new era of Comms Tech the same danger applies to data usage as it did for phone usage when on a cruise ship,that danger is your devise will want to connect to the strongest signal and if you dont watch it you will pay for it:)

Use your smartphone/Tablet onboard a cruise ship in your homeland with the same caution you would if using it overseas:)

Thanks for the warning Barry. i have always used my basic nothing fancy pre paid optus nokia phone whilst on board the ship in Sydney without thinking. Have to make some calls to tell the friends and family all about the ship, my room, the lunch on board etc etc etc

Thanks for the warning - I have used both post and prepaid when in Australian waters (i.e. when within range) and have never had an issue with the phone/iPad going to Cellular at Sea (which sounds like what happened in these cases). I wonder if it was a glitch and the ship did not turn off the service when docked. I have been surprised that I can still pick up Telstra when we are just off the coast. One thing I do turn off always when on board is push notifications - where emails and updates are automatically downloaded etc. This stops data being downloaded without me knowing. Once out of Telstra range I turn off all data anyway unless I am purchasing internet minutes on board.

Interesting topic - does that mean anyone who is in the cruise terminal - not cruising - can connect to the ships wifi? - that would be one up for them - I haven't worked out yet how they know "it's you" and how they can charge it to your account? I'm not the brightest light in the street with tech stuff - but how do they know that"that computer/tablet/phone" belongs to John Smith in cabin 1234 deck 5? You have to use your onboard card each and every time to access internet? - am I missing something? :confused:

I turned off my internet connection on my phone with my carrier b4 we left. Whilst on board my phone was connected to Cellular at sea. I checked b4 I left what it would cost if I made or received a call. It was like $15 a minute, even to answer a call. But I could text for 45c.

I noticed when we were off the coast of Australia the night b4 we returned a lot of people making phone calls, I don't think they realised we were still connected to Cellular at sea, most of those people probably got a shock with their bill when they got back.

Thanks mumof3j's - I think I have worked it out now with your post - internet goes to ships wifi by default - irrespective of who your carrier is- ummmmmm..........not nice. Note to self: send everyone a postcard...that's if they still do postcards :p

Thanks for the warning - I have used both post and prepaid when in Australian waters (i.e. when within range) and have never had an issue with the phone/iPad going to Cellular at Sea (which sounds like what happened in these cases). I wonder if it was a glitch and the ship did not turn off the service when docked. I have been surprised that I can still pick up Telstra when we are just off the coast. One thing I do turn off always when on board is push notifications - where emails and updates are automatically downloaded etc. This stops data being downloaded without me knowing. Once out of Telstra range I turn off all data anyway unless I am purchasing internet minutes on board.

Thanks for the 'heads-up' about this option which I didn't know existed! I just checked my settings under FETCH NEW DATA and it shows that I have it set up to retrieve manually so I guess that's OK. :confused:

Thanks for the warning Barry. i have always used my basic nothing fancy pre paid optus nokia phone whilst on board the ship in Sydney without thinking. Have to make some calls to tell the friends and family all about the ship, my room, the lunch on board etc etc etc

Tara Jane

Probably at Sydney - where there is a strong Telstra signal - you will not fall into this trap. My friends did a Pacific dawn cruise up the Qld coast and got caught out there. As far as an ordinary phone goes, the International roaming charges are high -- but the worst is International roaming charges for data -- ie Internet usage.

The secret is to be aware of what your device tells you that it is connected to. The trap happens because many people are not experienced of travelling and don't even think that their phone/computer can connect to a service other than their usual local one.

Barry

Interesting topic - does that mean anyone who is in the cruise terminal - not cruising - can connect to the ships wifi? - that would be one up for them - I haven't worked out yet how they know "it's you" and how they can charge it to your account? I'm not the brightest light in the street with tech stuff - but how do they know that"that computer/tablet/phone" belongs to John Smith in cabin 1234 deck 5? You have to use your onboard card each and every time to access internet? - am I missing something? :confused:

No -- there are two ways you can connect to the outside world on a ship. The first is through wifi - through your phone, tablet or laptop. This way, you have to have registered an account with the ship so that you can log on and the ship charges you. The second way is with telephony - whereby your device is automatically recognised by the ships equipment ( other kind of equipment) and you are connected to telstra automatically. The charges come from Telstra -- not the ship!!! This is how some people have used their phones overseas - only to come home to an enormous bill from Telstra. This is well known ( although people still fall for it) . My warning refers to something even sneakier -- whereby you are using a device that you normally use at home, in Australian waters and you "think" that you are connecting though a Telstra tower somewhere -- but in fact your device has connected to the ship and as far as telstra is concerned , you are using International roaming. Hence a big bill for you when you get home :)

Barry

Hi all,

I have just checked the Telstra site and MCP ( http://www.mcp.com ) is not listed in the Telstra International Roaming Browse Plus Packs list of countries.

I know that on Princess and P & O ( AU & UK) you can rarely access MCP for mobile calls while there is a land based signal available ( Telstra, Optus, Vodaphone) and according to the MCP website "The MCP network automatically turns on when the vessel is in international waters, which is either 12 nautical miles from shore or the distance permitted by the bordering country." (http://www.mcp.com/mcp/technology/) so if they were in ANY port they would not be connecting to the mobile signal from the ship because there would be no 2G or 3G signal to connect to. Only WiFi and that is not charged back to Telstra.

If they had connected to the ships WiFi the charges would have been to their ship board account and would have expired when the amount of time purchased onboard expired. In order to use the ships wifi to connect to the internet you have to login and then choose connect, you do not automatically connect to the internet. At the end of the session you also have to "logout" of the internet connection or the ship will maintain your connection and you will be charged either $0.75 per minute or until the package you have purchased expires.

Connecting to the Ships Phone or Wifi service will not cause charges to a prepaid mobile or internet account. From the Telstra Site - "Cruise Ship Services - This country not available on Pre-paid" (http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/international-roaming/pricing-compatibility/)

Telstra also requires you to purchase "International Roaming Browse Plus Pack" if you want to use your tablet Overseas - http://www.telstra.com.au/internet/mobile-tablets/pre-paid-for-tablets/#tab-international-roaming

One of the problems with smartphones and tablets is that the Apps which are running may be constantly using data to download or upload without the user being aware, I have an Android tablet that will download emails and updates for apps automatically. Some mapping and location apps may be updating all the time as well.

If it is an iPad and they have photostream turned on then it will be constantly uploading photos to the cloud.

Telstra allows users to login and see the amount of data used and also see the amount that was used per day.

The best advice is to turn 3G and Wifi off when you are on a cruise ship and in other countries and only turn it on when you want to connect.

Also make sure that auto-updates are turned off and that roaming ( 3G and data) are turned off.

If you are using a mobile or smart phone then divert ALL incoming calls to voicemail, you will usually receive an SMS when you have a voicemail and then you can decide to connect and make the call. Otherwise tell your friends and family to only contact you via the ships numbers if its an emergency or via text, but remember a SMS saying "hi" will cost the same as one that says anything up to 144 characters, and that long SMSs will be broken down into 144 char messages.

I'm sure that something has happened to our friends tablets and internet, but I do not believe it was connected to the Wifi and phone services provided by the ship.

Peter

Hi all,

I have just checked the Telstra site and MCP ( http://www.mcp.com ) is not listed in the Telstra International Roaming Browse Plus Packs list of countries.

I know that on Princess and P & O ( AU & UK) you can rarely access MCP for mobile calls while there is a land based signal available ( Telstra, Optus, Vodaphone) and according to the MCP website "The MCP network automatically turns on when the vessel is in international waters, which is either 12 nautical miles from shore or the distance permitted by the bordering country." (http://www.mcp.com/mcp/technology/) so if they were in ANY port they would not be connecting to the mobile signal from the ship because there would be no 2G or 3G signal to connect to. Only WiFi and that is not charged back to Telstra.

If they had connected to the ships WiFi the charges would have been to their ship board account and would have expired when the amount of time purchased onboard expired. In order to use the ships wifi to connect to the internet you have to login and then choose connect, you do not automatically connect to the internet. At the end of the session you also have to "logout" of the internet connection or the ship will maintain your connection and you will be charged either $0.75 per minute or until the package you have purchased expires.

Connecting to the Ships Phone or Wifi service will not cause charges to a prepaid mobile or internet account. From the Telstra Site - "Cruise Ship Services - This country not available on Pre-paid" (http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/international-roaming/pricing-compatibility/)

Telstra also requires you to purchase "International Roaming Browse Plus Pack" if you want to use your tablet Overseas - http://www.telstra.com.au/internet/mobile-tablets/pre-paid-for-tablets/#tab-international-roaming

One of the problems with smartphones and tablets is that the Apps which are running may be constantly using data to download or upload without the user being aware, I have an Android tablet that will download emails and updates for apps automatically. Some mapping and location apps may be updating all the time as well.

If it is an iPad and they have photostream turned on then it will be constantly uploading photos to the cloud.

Telstra allows users to login and see the amount of data used and also see the amount that was used per day.

The best advice is to turn 3G and Wifi off when you are on a cruise ship and in other countries and only turn it on when you want to connect.

Also make sure that auto-updates are turned off and that roaming ( 3G and data) are turned off.

If you are using a mobile or smart phone then divert ALL incoming calls to voicemail, you will usually receive an SMS when you have a voicemail and then you can decide to connect and make the call. Otherwise tell your friends and family to only contact you via the ships numbers if its an emergency or via text, but remember a SMS saying "hi" will cost the same as one that says anything up to 144 characters, and that long SMSs will be broken down into 144 char messages.

I'm sure that something has happened to our friends tablets and internet, but I do not believe it was connected to the Wifi and phone services provided by the ship.

Peter

So Peter what you are saying here is that if your devise can connect with an Australian signal from a Telco you are contracted to or pre paid with in Australia then it will not be connected as a Roam and charged at roaming prices?

I have never used my phone on a ship even in while onboard in home port apart from the alarm clock and odd SMS:) because of the horror bill charge stories I have read that people have been hit with while using their phone onboard in Australian waters!

So Peter what you are saying here is that if your devise can connect with an Australian signal from a Telco you are contracted to or pre paid with in Australia then it will not be connected as a Roam and charged at roaming prices?

I have never used my phone on a ship even in while onboard in home port apart from the alarm clock and odd SMS:) because of the horror bill charge stories I have read that people have been hit with while using their phone onboard in Australian waters!

Thats correct, if there is a mobile service from a land based telco available, there will be no ship mobile service.

Strange. Very strange.

I was on Solstice in March and even when at sea but within sight of Australia I picked up the Telstra signal and was using that despite the ship having its own cell tower...and I have a tablet with a pre-paid Telstra sim card.

AND as far as I know ships turn off their cell towers while in port and do not turn them on until they are far enough from land (a klm or 2).

And you can also tell when your connected to the ships cell tower...it doesn't just happen by accident as it shows up in the top left hand corner (in the case of an iPad) with the name of the carrier instead of the Telstra 3G name.

Besides, you can also go into the setting and tell the iPad (in my case) to ignore other networks besides the SIM card one.

Plus when sailing off New Zealand and I had changed to a NZ sim car from telecom NZ, once again when cruising up the coast and getting the Telecom towers on land it would come up Telecom NZ. Not the ships cell tower (which I told it to ignore).

Archived