"Mystery Worshipper" review of Sunday service on QM2

buckirj1

Some of you may be familiar with the "Mystery Worshipper", a subset of the Ship-of-Fools.com website, that anonymously reviews various religious services. Ship reviews are rarely posted, but there's a recent one for the QM2. The review closely matches my (one) experience of a service onboard Cunard. I particularly liked the description of the singing and dancing as "evocative of Las Vegas, circa 1962," and Commodore Rynd as being "straight out of Central Casting.":) But the best part was the reviewer realizing the commodore's awareness of the tradition of worship at sea, and his wish to share that awareness with passengers, staff and crew.

Here's the link; hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

http://ship-of-fools.com/mystery/2013/2552.html

Here is a memento from the inter-denominational service of Sunday, November 22, 2009, Captain Nick Bates. As you can see it's inter-denominational only for Christian denominations, but it was a lovely service.

..."I particularly liked the description of the singing and dancing as 'evocative of Las Vegas, circa 1962'"..

You had me worried for a moment there - I thought that line was referring to the service rather than to the production shows held in the theatre!:eek: Thanks for posting this. I'm disappointed (along with about 600 Philippine crew members) that Cunard no longer has a Catholic priest onboard but it is reassuring to know that the ecumenical service is traditional.

You had me worried for a moment there - I thought that line was referring to the service rather than to the production shows held in the theatre!:eek: Thanks for posting this. I'm disappointed (along with about 600 Philippine crew members) that Cunard no longer has a Catholic priest onboard but it is reassuring to know that the ecumenical service is traditional.

Cunard no longer has a Catholic priest on board? When did that happen?

Regarding an Ecumenical Service, that is intended to include all faiths. What has been described is not an Ecumenical Service, but rather a Christian Service.

During a Q and A session on a recent QV cruise, Captain Olsen said that the decision not to have a Catholic priest on board was being reviewed, presumably in response to a large number of complaints.

copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/occasions/religious_services

Can I attend a religious service whilst on board?

Although we do not have a chapel aboard any of our ships, the Captain or Staff Captain will hold an Ecumenical Service each Sunday. This usually takes place in one of the theatres on board. For religious holidays such as Easter and Christmas, we also have a Chaplain on each of our ships and services are held accordingly.

However, it is also a common occurrence for passengers of the same faith to organise their own services on board, if the numbers are great enough, and this would be coordinated via Reception.

There are occasions when a priest may be travelling as a passenger on board who may offer their services. This would be an independent arrangement therefore cannot be confirmed in advance. Such services if and when available, will be advertised in the daily paper.

A Rabbi is on board for the four main Jewish festivals (Yom Kippur, Rosh Hashanah, Sukkot & Passover)

-------

During a Q and A session on a recent QV cruise, Captain Olsen said that the decision not to have a Catholic priest on board was being reviewed, presumably in response to a large number of complaints.

Thanks, glad to hear that. For Catholics, having a priest on board is very important, especially for crew memebers who don't get to go ashore for Catholic Services. I've heard of cheap cutbacks, but eliminating a priest really takes the cake :(

I discovered the lack of a Catholic priest whilst on board QE in April, mentioned my dismay and dissapointment in my review and wrote to Cunard to say how unhappy I was with this decision. Having a priest on board means a lot to both passengers and crew and from experience I can affirm that daily services were well attended and appreciated. I would be extremely pleased if this decision was reversed as attending Mass is very important to Catholics on board.

I'm disappointed (along with about 600 Philippine crew members) that Cunard no longer has a Catholic priest onboard but it is reassuring to know that the ecumenical service is traditional.

There was a catholic priest on QM2 last weekend.

Either we were on the same cruise (15 May, Central Med), or this is a regular question - she gave the same response when she did a Q&A that I attended.

Mary

Either we were on the same cruise (15 May, Central Med), or this is a regular question - she gave the same response when she did a Q&A that I attended.

Mary

We were on the same cruise! I think you'll agree that it was an interesting session. One other point that I remember (though it has no connection with the current thread) is that the Captain implied that because of worsening congestion in Southampton, Cunard might well be making greater use of Liverpool in future.

John

We were on the same cruise! I think you'll agree that it was an interesting session. One other point that I remember (though it has no connection with the current thread) is that the Captain implied that because of worsening congestion in Southampton, Cunard might well be making greater use of Liverpool in future.

John

I do remember a diplomatic answer to the question of using Liverpool in future, but can't remember what she actually said - very clever. I missed some of her session, having appeared half way through to get a seat for the following lecture by Digby Jones:o.

Wonderful cruise - hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.

Mary:)

Thank you for sharing, Rita. I'm a bit surprised that either the reviewer or I missed the apparently traditional closing with "Eternal Father, Strong to Save".

Oops, missing it was my error, it was there.

Roy

He was indeed, or so I imagined:(.

Got your Q1 yet?

Mary

Actually, he was in an 'ordinary' QG suite. I know this because as I was coming out of the launderette on Deck 7 he was going into his room right opposite!

John

He was indeed, or so I imagined:(.

Got your Q1 yet?

Mary

Not yet - but I have every confidence that Saint Peter included the task in his handover. And I also have unbounded faith in General Templer - he did a wonderful job in Malaya so I can't see why he would find it hard to fix me up with a Q1.

J

Actually, he was in an 'ordinary' QG suite. I know this because as I was coming out of the launderette on Deck 7 he was going into his room right opposite!

John

I know, but one should never let the truth get in the way of a good story:D. He gave out his cabin number during one of his talks and, as you say, it was a Q on deck 7.

I expect Mr Cruachan can imagine who hot-footed it up there with his little placard and begging bowl.

Mary

Regarding an Ecumenical Service, that is intended to include all faiths. What has been described is not an Ecumenical Service, but rather a Christian Service.

They stopped having a Catholic priest on board last year. I don't have time to do search right now, but there was a really venomous post from a disappointed passenger. He posted a letter from the Purser's office where he would be allowed to leave the ship with a pro-rated refund. (One can only imagine how badly they wanted to be rid of him.) He had a point - a promised amenity at time of booking was withdrawn by time of sailing. But he was so vociferous in his language that I was ashamed to have him as a co-religionist.

They stopped having a Catholic priest on board last year. I don't have time to do search right now, but there was a really venomous post from a disappointed passenger. He posted a letter from the Purser's office where he would be allowed to leave the ship with a pro-rated refund. (One can only imagine how badly they wanted to be rid of him.) He had a point - a promised amenity at time of booking was withdrawn by time of sailing. But he was so vociferous in his language that I was ashamed to have him as a co-religionist.

Thanks BlueRiband, I didn't know about the change - it's really is sad, especially for the crew. I imagine that not being assured there will be a Catholic priest on board, especially for Christmas and Easter cruises, will have some negative effect on bookings, which makes me wonder just how effective this cost cutting measure is in the long run. -S.

No, it IS an Ecumenical Service since "Ecumenical" implies "Christian". From vocabulary.com: "...the term is most widely connected with religious unity, specifically Christianity."

Archived