What to do in Kauai

ladybugk04

Going on Pride Of America in September. Since we are in Kauai for 2 days I am trying to get some ideas of must things to do while we are there. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

We are also on a POA in Sept. I plan on renting a car for Day 1 and driving up to the canyon, but we're open for suggestions for Day 2.

Should we return the car the evening of day 1 ?

Ladybug - have you signed in roll call for the cruise ?

Which day do you embark ?

• 2 weeks later...

On day one, we drove to the Waimea Canyon (took about an hour to get there) and walked around. It can get very crowded and the lot isn't very big so this should be your first stop.

We planned a 4 or 5 hour (I can't remember) ATV tour with Kipu Ranch - I'm not very 'adventurous' but my DH loved this. We got dirty, saw some beautiful places, and had a blast talking with the guides. It was one of our favorite memories from our POA experience.

At the end of the day we decided we didn't need the car so we returned it. That gave us some extra money to hop the free shuttle on Day Two to the cove to shop and relax.

If you are young, able bodied and physically fit, you can hike the Napali coastline.. its a HARD hike.. just because there is a long of climbing over boulders and stuff. But I wouldn't say it's dangerous.. Anyway, you start at Ke'e beach and hike 2 miles to a secluded beach, then you turn toward the mountain and hike in toward the mountain for 2 miles to a beautiful waterfall. It's an 8 mile round trip hike, but it's soooo worth it! Bring more water than you think you'll need, also bring snacks to give you energy.

http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/hiking_kauai/hanakapiai_hike.php

I should also warn DO NOT go into the ocean at the beach here (Hanakapiai beach).. people drown here often!! There is a horrible rip tide and unless you are very familiar with the area (no tourists.. only locals) stay out of the water! You'll be fish food before a rescue squad could reach you! Also if it is raining, be aware of flash flooding at the river! Otherwise.. enjoy the beauty of Kauai!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g29218-d560716-Reviews-Hanakapiai_Falls-Kauai_Hawaii.html You can see pictures here.

We are also on a POA in Sept. I plan on renting a car for Day 1 and driving up to the canyon, but we're open for suggestions for Day 2.

Should we return the car the evening of day 1 ?

Ladybug - have you signed in roll call for the cruise ?

Which day do you embark ?

We had originally planned to rent a car for both days, but we decided to do all our driving the first day and relax the second day sitting on the beach at the hotel near the port as the second day you leave early to sail to the Napali coast.

We toured with Kauai Photo Tours. In addition to seeing beautiful sites including Hanalei, the lighthouse and refuge, we stopped at various coastal and inland sites, stopped and had a plate lunch from a truck (great fun and tasty) and learned how to better use my camera. Was a great day!

We used Jay as well when we were there in November. I think he will go anywhere you want, provided you have the time. We had already booked a tour with Blue Hawaiian (excellent! Everyone was in tears at the beauty of it all) so we didn't want to cancel. Jay met us at the Blue Hawaiian office after we landed and we went from there. He even made a stop at a drugstore and Starbucks (last minute request) before we went on our way. It was fun and interesting. And we didn't have to do any driving.

There's a Fox Rent-A-Car in the Anchor Cove shopping center walking distance from the port in Nawiliwili. There's also a new snorkel & golf rental shop there.

http://www.kauaiboundstore.com/

New gear, great prices, and a really nice guy running the place. We rented from both places during our port stop, and drove to Poipu Beach for a few hours.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
We toured with Kauai Photo Tours. In addition to seeing beautiful sites including Hanalei, the lighthouse and refuge, we stopped at various coastal and inland sites, stopped and had a plate lunch from a truck (great fun and tasty) and learned how to better use my camera. Was a great day!

My husband is an avid photographer.....would you recommend this tour:)

Sicu1, yes I would recommend Kauai photo tour for your husband. I recommended them to a friend whose husband was also loved photography and they had a great time ! Best of both worlds , seeing Kauai and getting great photography hints.

We spent a fantastic day touring the island with Jay Dorrance. His web page is http://www.treadlightlykauai.com/ .

It was a personalized tour designed especially for our interests. We had made contact through email beforehand, and discussed things we would like to do. He picked us up from the ship, and dropped us off. At the end of the day it was like saying goodbye to a friend. Highly recommended!

My husband did the photo tour while I did Air Ventures at about the same price. I got some incredible pictures and saw things that you just can't see on land since so much of the island is inaccessible. He is a little jealous. I really would recommend some type of flight!!

• 2 months later...

Hi! I do not like helicopters so we found Wings over Kauai a flight seeing company. Please check out their website. Our cruise is not until Oct. so I have no reviews. You take the free shuttle to Anchor Cove Shopping Center and they meet you there. We plan on coming back and going to the beach for the rest of the day. Have fun!

• 4 weeks later...

I just booked Tread Lightly with Jay for our trip to Kauai in November. We are taking the 6-7 hour tour to Waimea Canyon, Spouting Horn, Wailua Falls and sites in between. The cost for our tour for 2 people is $363. As you add more people the price goes up but not by much. He also has 4 hours tours for less, but according to Jay you won't get to see as much. It's 3-5 hours to the Canyon from Lihue. Hope this helps. All reviews about Tread Lightly tours are fabulous!

If photography is important, I would suggest taking the helicopter tour with the doors the doors off. I forget which company does that, but there is one helicopter used for the purpose. Pictures of the Napali Coast alone will make you a hero to your photography friends, and that's not including the other beautiful shots of the island.

Personally I think paying for a tour in Kauai is way overblown if you don't mind driving. Kauai is easy to drive and most desinations are easy to find if you do just a little research before the cruise. There are several good guide books that explain not only where to stop, but the history behind the stop. Then you can use the money you save for a Helicopter tour.

Burt

If photography is important, I would suggest taking the helicopter tour with the doors the doors off. I forget which company does that, but there is one helicopter used for the purpose. Pictures of the Napali Coast alone will make you a hero to your photography friends, and that's not including the other beautiful shots of the island.

Personally I think paying for a tour in Kauai is way overblown if you don't mind driving. Kauai is easy to drive and most desinations are easy to find if you do just a little research before the cruise. There are several good guide books that explain not only where to stop, but the history behind the stop. Then you can use the money you save for a Helicopter tour.

Burt

Mauna Loa-we booked them for our cruise in October with the doors off option, can't wait!

We are considering renting a car for one day. Are there turn outs or off road parking for photograph or nature observations. Is parking a problem at beach areas, light house, etc. Thank you.

Alternative Hawaii has some wonderful driving guides that are free to download on their website. You may see info in them on where to park. I don't recall any parking issues, but some of the very small beaches up in the Princeville, Hanalei/ Napali area may have limited parking.

I just booked Tread Lightly with Jay for our trip to Kauai in November. We are taking the 6-7 hour tour to Waimea Canyon, Spouting Horn, Wailua Falls and sites in between. The cost for our tour for 2 people is $363. As you add more people the price goes up but not by much. He also has 4 hours tours for less, but according to Jay you won't get to see as much. It's 3-5 hours to the Canyon from Lihue. Hope this helps. All reviews about Tread Lightly tours are fabulous!

It sounds like you are saying that it is a 3-5 hour drive from Lihue to Wiamea Canyon. It is actually about 70 minutes give or take. Maybe you meant with stops along the way to explore, etc, but I did not want anyone to think the drive with no stops was 3 to 5 hours.

I get that many people want to leave the driving to others so they can just relax, but with a $40 rental car you could see all you're seeing easily on your own and save the $363.

We took the Wings over Kauai flight tour 2 years ago and absolutely loved it. I had a horrific fear of small planes and helicopters, but the pilot made me feel so comfortable and secure...we have some amazing photos. Heading back to the island next April but have not decided whether to do the same flight again....you will love it! The pilot and his wife are so nice.

Hi! I do not like helicopters so we found Wings over Kauai a flight seeing company. Please check out their website. Our cruise is not until Oct. so I have no reviews. You take the free shuttle to Anchor Cove Shopping Center and they meet you there. We plan on coming back and going to the beach for the rest of the day. Have fun!

I have been to Kauai many times and these are my favs:

Driving up Waimeia Canyon(sorry about the spelling). Give yourself a few hours to do this.

Tubing the ditch was really cool and can be done by seniors fairly easily.

A helicopter ride is a must if you can afford it.

Swimming and snorkeling at Poipu beach

The movie tours are fantastic.

Going to fern grotto is very romantic and beautiful

Kauai coffee plantation is great.

If you want a gorgeous quilt made for you their is a quilt shop in Lihue that is top notch. They are pricey but will last you a lifetime.

Finally, not sure if this is still going on but if your staying overnight in Kauai they have a live production show of South Pacific in I believe either Kapaa or Lihue. It was fabulous.