Embarcation Barcelona

Mediana

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what time is the earliest you can leave your luggage at port? I've never thought about this before since I'm usually among the last to board a cruise.

This time my thought was to take a cab to port, leave my luggage, run some errands and then come back to check in right before they close. Is this possible? I'm thinking it is but perhaps there's something I haven't thought about.

You can leave items around 9:30 AM.

Just a word of caution.

There are a lot of thefts in Barcelona so you need to be careful about valuables. I would be very careful with valuables that you might have on our possession.

Tourists are certainly those who are targeted when it comes to these thefts.

Keith

You can imagine having your luggage onboard and then having a passport stolen... as occurred to a poster on a transatlantic several years ago.

Pickpockets in Barcelona are notorious...

BCN is a marvelous city but be super careful and enjoy.

Just a word of caution.

There are a lot of thefts in Barcelona so you need to be careful about valuables. I would be very careful with valuables that you might have on our possession.

Keith

Thanks for the info.

Do you mean, it isn't safe to leave the luggage at port?

Thanks for the info.

Do you mean, it isn't safe to leave the luggage at port?

We've never had a problem with luggage but with walking through the city.

You will meet passengers on board who will have lost items to pickpockets as they walked through Barcelona. We witnessed a pickpocket sitting on a bench where passengers boarded the shuttle to the ship.

Protect your passport at all costs.

Just a word of caution.

Keith

I agree. If the OP is staying in a hotel in BCN I will ask for a late check out, do the errands and then check in the port by the time he can secure his passport and money at his cabin safe.

I'm coming directly from the Airport so no late check out. I've spent lots of time in Barcelona so I'm aware about the pickpockets. As for passport, I won't be bringing one since Celebrity said it was OK with just my drivers license.

My worries are more about the hassle at the port. I've never cruised from Barcelona before but my parents suggested I check in before I go out and this is exactly what I want to avoid.

I'm not really bringing any valuables with me so that's not a problem.

As for passport, I could off course bring one but if Celebrity only requires ID then I've better off only brining my drivers license since I'll be needing it when I rent a car in Italy anyway.

We've done it multiple times! No issue at all. Just drop with the porter, and off you go. Either a cab, or there is a port shuttle that will take you from the ship to the Cristobal Colon monument at the foot of Las Ramblas, for a few euros.

Yes, we carried our valuables with us, and yes, we are VERY aware and careful in every city, esp. Barcelona, but nothing happened. I prefer not to walk around with valuables but sometimes you just have to do it.

We've done it multiple times! No issue at all. Just drop with the porter, and off you go. Either a cab, or there is a port shuttle that will take you from the ship to the Cristobal Colon monument at the foot of Las Ramblas, for a few euros.

Yes, we carried our valuables with us, and yes, we are VERY aware and careful in every city, esp. Barcelona, but nothing happened. I prefer not to walk around with valuables but sometimes you just have to do it.

Perfect. Thank you.

In the end each person will do what they want.

The only thing I do want to note is that even though you were lucky and had no incident that does not mean that you won't the next time. To me it is analogous with flying in the day of the cruise or even with not stopping at a stop sign. You may not have a problem but at some point you will. I think in certain cities that carrying valuable around is a big mistake and Barcelona and places like Rio, Naples, Buenos Aires, just to name a few fit that bill.

I don't say this to be argumentative. I only say this because others who are not familiar with these cities should know the risk.

For many people arriving the day of the cruise they are tired from the flight and sometimes we all make mistakes and are not as alert as if we were rested.

OK, not wo the next topic.

Keith

I'm not really bringing any valuables with me so that's not a problem.

As for passport, I could off course bring one but if Celebrity only requires ID then I've better off only brining my drivers license since I'll be needing it when I rent a car in Italy anyway.

I think you need your passport for Dubrovnik as photo Id doesn't seam to be enough I might. Be wrong :(

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I think you need your passport for Dubrovnik as photo Id doesn't seam to be enough I might. Be wrong :(

Croatia enters EU on July 1. Montenegro, however is not part of EU but they have no passport control. I asked Celebrity and they said ID would be enough. Double checked with my parents who have done a couple of these Mediterranean cruises with Celebrity and they haven't used their passport either.

On the the Dubrovnik page a lady had to return to the ship to get her passport so I'm confused

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Perhaps she was American? Croatia is joining EU on July 1st and we will be there after that so even though there was a problem before it wouldn't be now. I'm gonna double check with Celebrity once again and I'll probably see you around the ship so I let you know how it goes :)

Perhaps she was American? Croatia is joining EU on July 1st and we will be there after that so even though there was a problem before it wouldn't be now. I'm gonna double check with Celebrity once again and I'll probably see you around the ship so I let you know how it goes :)

Just off Equinox, everybody had to take passports at Venice and Dubrovnik and they were checked when you returned to the ship at Venice and when you left the port at Dubrovnik. THERE WERE NO EXCEPTIONS. ie driving licences instead of passports.

Archived