Do you like an inside cabin?

clinthi

I have been on several cruises but have never had an inside cabin. We are looking at Fantasy--which does not have a balcony unless you get a suite. A suite is not in our budget right now. We are comparing oceanview and inside.

I know EVERYONE prefers balconies/suites...but for those of you who have had an inside cabin before, would you book an inside again?

I book insides all the time and will continue to do so. I've everything from an inside to a balcony and while the balcony is nice, I get a lot more bang for my buck with an inside. To me, the best deal is a Porthole (PT) cabin as it's usually the same cost as a 4A Inside and yet has two port holes that you can look out of and that let's natural light into the cabin.

We are doing an inside on our Valor cruise. We figure with so many ports we'll barely be on the ship anyway. We did decide to go with an inside on Lido because we are traveling with teenage boys. They need food all the time, at least it will be close and we will be just a few steps from outside. It's a win for all of us.

We did an inside on the Fantasy a few years ago on a last minute special of 5 days for $159pp. At that price I knew the only option would be inside and I actually did fine although I am mildly claustrophobic. I kept the TV on with the view from the bow of the ship because I wanted to know when it was daytime. Also did one on the Breeze 2 day over Thanksgiving and we spent so little time in the room again I did fine. For the 8 day we have coming up I wouldn't consider an inside.

Insides may not be for everyone...BUT unless you're claustrophobic, plan on spending a lot of time on your balcony, or are exceedingly rich, an inside cabin should at least be considered. When scoping out any cruise, I usually look at the difference between the interior and balcony prices and ask myself is it worth it? To me, if the price difference is less than $100 pp, I'll strongly consider it. Otherwise, it's a $200+ proposition. If your cruise for 2 is about $1000, do you really want a 20%+ increase?

I randomly picked the July 20 8 day Caribbean sailing on the Splendor. The inside rate is $864 and the Balcony rate is 1274. To me it's an easy decision. Save the $410 and go inside. I'd much rather allocate that $410 to staying over the night before in a hotel, airfare, on board expenses, or shudder the thought my savings account!

I have been on several cruises but have never had an inside cabin. We are looking at Fantasy--which does not have a balcony unless you get a suite. A suite is not in our budget right now. We are comparing oceanview and inside.

I know EVERYONE prefers balconies/suites...but for those of you who have had an inside cabin before, would you book an inside again?

Actually, above not true!:)

We actually prefer an inside cabin. We tried a balcony once, got very little use out of it, so thought it was just wasted $ for us.

We're happy with an inside -- nice and quiet and cozy. Besides, we're not in there that much.

We like the price of an inside, therefore we book them all the time. I spend the extra money on pictures! LOL!

My brother actually likes them, not just for the cost, but because it is dark in the middle of the day and he can take a nap.

I do not like the fact that it is soooo dark in the morning, that you don't know it is morning.

Guest fyree39
Insides may not be for everyone...BUT unless you're claustrophobic, plan on spending a lot of time on your balcony, or are exceedingly rich, an inside cabin should at least be considered. When scoping out any cruise, I usually look at the difference between the interior and balcony prices and ask myself is it worth it? To me, if the price difference is less than $100 pp, I'll strongly consider it. Otherwise, it's a $200+ proposition. If your cruise for 2 is about $1000, do you really want a 20%+ increase?

I randomly picked the July 20 8 day Caribbean sailing on the Splendor. The inside rate is $864 and the Balcony rate is 1274. To me it's an easy decision. Save the $410 and go inside. I'd much rather allocate that $410 to staying over the night before in a hotel, airfare, on board expenses, or shudder the thought my savings account!

"Rich" doesn't really come into the equation.

I prefer a balcony, but if the timing and prices are right, I would book an inside in a heartbeat. Feb 2011 we got such a good deal that we couldn't pass it up... Less than $600 on a 5 day sailing for 4 of us in a quad.....roughly less than $30 per day per person...

I have been in oceanview (twice), interior (once) and balcony (twice). I would happily revert to an interior if the location and price was right - DH however has become a balcony snob and refuses to sail without one ever again. :rolleyes:

We book the Spa cabins -- we've done two balconies (Splendor, Magic) and we're on our second inside (Dream) - the first was our Spa Interior on Splendor. We're all about the spa cabins -- doesn't matter which one - we like them both -- we just didn't feel like spending extra for the balcony -- as someone else mentioned, it will get us OUT more!

We have four port days on this cruise -- that would be a consideration for me as well. Less port days -- I might spring for spa balcony.

I always book an inside cabin. We would rather spend the additional money on excursions or drinks than on the room, that we don't spend too much time in, just to sleep and get dressed in.

+1

I would also rather take 2 cruises than 1 cruise. Actually I don't care one way or the other but my wife likes inside cabins because she has a difficult time sleeping with any light coming in the cabin. I figure if I need a view anytime day or night I can get a better one topside on the lido and be near the ice cream, pizza, or a cold drink within easy reach.

A bonus is that the most stable (least rocking motion) is an inside cabin on the lowest deck in the middle of the ship. If you are prone to a little "mal de mer" this might just be the cabin you are looking for.

Cheers!

We love the inside cabins when it is just me and my husband. Love sleeping in late without the bright sun waking us up. Love saving money!

Now, when we have the kids: NO WAY! The inside cabins are much smaller and the bunks are located over the main bed.

Nope , not for me

Booked and inside for the kids once across from our balcony

Never again

Also while it's unlikely. Think about being on a ship with issues and being in a inside or worse inside down low

To ea thier own

Used to be a balcony only until this past June 4th on the Glory when I sailed in my first ever OV. Originally booked and INS but switched to OV when rates dropped so much that I didn't have to pay extra for it. This was just a quickie 5 day getaway cruise and I need the natural light. :)

Am still willing to try an inside just to get on a ship!!:D

Originally Posted by mpcaruth

The inside cabins are much smaller and the bunks are located over the main bed.

Is this true on all ships??

To my knowledge, unless you book an 'special" IS cabin like Porthole (PT), French Door (4J) and Picture Window (4K), the cabins are smaller square footage and do not have a couch. No couch means no pullout sofa bed and no pull down bed over the sofa.

These two links discuss quad cabin set up and have pictures of various quad cabins.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1630990

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1837199

For $300 more for the 2 of us we got a balcony, almost did the inside then got a day of overtime so balcony it is.

Had a inside a couple of times and agree it is the best I have ever slept(until 2pm:eek:).

I learned on an inside to keep the TV on with the volume off tuned to the ships outside camera, almost a virtual sunrise.

Archived