Coffee Reviews from Celebrity Millennium?

AZbyOR

Sorry for the dumb question but can you just get a cup of brewed coffee at Cafe al Bacio? I've looked at the menu and don't see it. Espresso is too strong for me. I just like a nice plain cup of coffee.

Thanks!

Not a dumb question at all....and it is in fact a suggestion I have made numerous times on comment cards...but no plain brewed coffee at Cafe al Bacio at current time...only espresso based drinks...so an Americano is the closest drink.

Woody

Edited by rwr235

Sorry for the dumb question but can you just get a cup of brewed coffee at Cafe al Bacio? I've looked at the menu and don't see it. Espresso is too strong for me. I just like a nice plain cup of coffee.

They do list Americanos on the menu. These are espressos diluted with hot water to about the same strength as brewed coffee. One advantage over brewed coffee is that they are always made fresh so time in the pot isn't a variable. At least some of us hard-core coffee nuts think americanos are way better than brewed coffee most of the time.

These are espressos diluted with hot water to about the same strength as brewed coffee. One advantage over brewed coffee is that they are always made fresh so time in the pot isn't a variable.

Another advantage is that you can control how strong or weak you want it. I don't know what Celebrity's standard americano is, but if you try it and find it too strong, ask for more hot water, or vice versa.

Tip to everyone - cappuccinos don't always include two shots of espresso but I was able to order them that way with the Classic package. And I didn't know until day 3 that there are to-go cups.

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys, well it appears that Cafe Al Bacio is the place for that coffee each afternoon. Its funny we have never had more than 2 coffees in one day, and even then its one in the morning at a beachside cafe, and then the 2nd in a similar cafe, but not same cafe in the morning, if you know what I mean.

I just got back from my favourite cafe where I live in Hervey Bay, and the "master" as I call him, made the perfect coffee for me again.

I have trouble finding someone who makes coffee as good as he does.

I did try Starbucks in Waikiki. I wasn't that impressed with it.

Thanks guys, well it appears that Cafe Al Bacio is the place for that coffee each afternoon. Its funny we have never had more than 2 coffees in one day, and even then its one in the morning at a beachside cafe, and then the 2nd in a similar cafe, but not same cafe in the morning, if you know what I mean.

I just got back from my favourite cafe where I live in Hervey Bay, and the "master" as I call him, made the perfect coffee for me again.

I have trouble finding someone who makes coffee as good as he does.

I did try Starbucks in Waikiki. I wasn't that impressed with it.

I have heard that Australians take their coffee VERY seriously, so I'm not surprised at your response to Starbucks. I personally find Cafe Al Bacio a step above SB, mostly because they grind, tamp, and draw to order, no one-touch machine. Their drinks have a more traditional ratio of milk to coffee. They probably still won't live up to your master in Hervey Bay, but hopefully will be as good as other cafes you have been to back home!

Coffee can make or break my day - can anyone tell me how the regular drip coffee is on board? I typically drink a fresh ground french roast. I'm considering bringing Starbucks Via and ordering hot water. Can anyone give me a review?

Thanks in advance!

Have you considered purchasing the non-alcoholic drink package? You can get great coffee at Cafe Bacci as well as cappucino, expresso, premium teas, soda, bottled water and smoothie type drinks. The cappucino and other special beverages can be provided free in all of the dining rooms and most bars. If you aren't in Aqua class, great to have bottled water that you can bring in your cabin or ashore.

The coffee rates from poor to horrible unless you get the premium coffee

I'll quote myself from an earlier thread:

"How is the coffe? Here's an anecdote. Was sitting yesterday at a luncheon with five other people. Everyone had coffee. The waiter poured all from the same carafe. The woman on my right said, oh that's good coffee. The man on my left said, that coffee is way too strong, and poured some water into his cup. The woman across from me said, this coffee is really bitter. Her husband asked, why can't you make coffee this good. The woman next to him made a face and said that it tasted stale to her. I thought it was too weak.

So how's the coffee on board? Probably too strong, too weak, too bitter, too stale, too hot and too cold.'

Yes, coffee is one of those things that's a very individual taste.

I've wasn't all that fond of the coffee in the MDR or the Ocean View Cafe, and normally stuck to tea there... But the expresso coffee in Cafe Al Bachio was lovely.

We've always found the coffee on board to be below our standards although it is better these days then it was several years ago.

We used to bring our own electric coffee maker until they put it on the "do not pack" list along with explosives and illegal drugs. For a while we brought along a coffee press (shatterproof model) and our own coffee which tasted great but was a hassle to clean out in our stateroom. Then we switched to Via. These days we buy a non-alcohol package and get in line at Cafe al Bacio every morning. Via is good but we prefer Cade al Bacio.

...can you just get a cup of brewed coffee at Cafe al Bacio?...
All coffee is brewed but I'm guessing you meant drip brew coffee which is also called filter coffee in Europe. The answer to that is no. Cafe al Bacio only makes espresso based coffee but you can get an americano, cappuccino or Latte to soften it a bit.

Do they use fresh milk in the cappuccinos at Cafe Al Bacio on the Millennium?

We were on the Solstice in April and they used long life milk which affected the taste of the coffees. They were still OK but would have been much better with fresh milk. I asked why and they said they couldn't source enough fresh milk in Sydney!

We are going on the Millennium in November and hoping they will use fresh milk.

They've always had fresh milk (regular and skim) at the cafe on all their other ships and that is a fleet wide practice. If for some reason the Solstice couldn't source milk out of Sydney then I suspect the Millennium could have a similar problem.

... how much these coffees cost and how they relate to the beverage packages....

...Also she has a hand-pumped espresso maker that uses boiling water and capsules to make OK espresso, but I gather that Celebrity forbids in-room boiling of water?...

If your hand pumped espresso maker is portable enough to take to the buffet then the hot water out of the dispensers there will be hot enough. That's what I used when I brought the coffee press.

I see someone posted coffee prices above. As far as what is convered in the beverage packages: Depending on the staff on your cruise most, and possibly all, of the coffees will be covered under the classic plan:There is a lot of confusion and inconsitency on what a specialty coffee is and if it is included in the classic vs. premium package or not. On the Silhouette last December I specifically asked which coffees are NOT covered by the classic package and was told that everything is included in the classic package except the coffees listed on the menu (there is a link in the post above) under "Other Favorites" and "More Favorites". I asked the same question on the Eclipse last March and was told that ALL the coffees listed in the menu were covered by the classic package. Bottom line: All the standard, or slightly fancy, coffees are included in both packages including espresso, latte, mocha, cappuccino and others. Certain coffees which include some extra ingredients may or may not be covered by the classic package depending on the interpretation of the rules on your particular sailing so you won't know for sure until you sail.

Edited by Lsimon

Yes, coffee is one of those things that's a very individual taste.

I've wasn't all that fond of the coffee in the MDR or the Ocean View Cafe, and normally stuck to tea there... But the expresso coffee in Cafe Al Bachio was lovely.[/QUOT

If you enjoy brewed starbucks bold coffee every morning, you will not enjoy the ships boiled coffee. Some people enjoy instant coffee, they might not have a problem with the ships coffee. But that's individual taste.

Hi, this was our first cruise and I want to make clear that we were very impressed with Celebrity but my husband and I and our sons found the ordinary coffee offered each morning in Blu really awful. :eek: Our wonderful maitre 'd' took to sweeping our cups away each morning and replacing them with double espresso's topped with hot water which was drinkable; just. We are English so don't even get me started on the tea, :(. There were many wonderful aspects to our cruise but the tea and coffee were not among them.

Karen

We are English so don't even get me started on the tea, :(. There were many wonderful aspects to our cruise but the tea and coffee were not among them.

Karen

I want to get you started because I'm a coffee guy, but the tea selection at Cafe Al Bacio seemed pretty good. They were bagged, but in the "satin" pouches and were served with a teapot if drinking it in the vicinity.

I want to get you started because I'm a coffee guy, but the tea selection at Cafe Al Bacio seemed pretty good. They were bagged, but in the "satin" pouches and were served with a teapot if drinking it in the vicinity.

I appreciate the advice, thank you and while I shall bare it in mind for any future cruise I do usually accept that while on holiday I don't drink tea. For me making tea is an art and a ritual that involves many aspects but most importantly fresh lose tea.

I think that if some people who don't much enjoy tea tried tea made in this way they might change their opinion; it's a very different drink in my opinion.

I think Celebrity's product is pretty slick and I would certainly use them again however and this is only my opinion their tea and coffee offering at breakfast in particular could be improved.

Karen :)

I appreciate the advice, thank you and while I shall bare it in mind for any future cruise I do usually accept that while on holiday I don't drink tea. For me making tea is an art and a ritual that involves many aspects but most importantly fresh lose tea.

I think that if some people who don't much enjoy tea tried tea made in this way they might change their opinion; it's a very different drink in my opinion.

I think Celebrity's product is pretty slick and I would certainly use them again however and this is only my opinion their tea and coffee offering at breakfast in particular could be improved.

While the nice Tea Forte is good for us Yankees, I totally understand. I feel the same about the coffee on board. We only drink fresh coffee made at Cafe Al Baccio. I cannot even sip the boiled coffee served at the other venues. But that is my opinion and perhaps not shared by others.

... For me making tea is an art and a ritual that involves many aspects but most importantly fresh lose tea....

If and when you sail Celebrity again do give the tea at Cafe al Bacio a try. The Tea Forte tea bags are special silken infuser pouches, not standard tea bags, and they are filled with fresh tea leaves just like the type of leaves you'd find in loose tea. When you have the tea at the Cafe, vs take away, it is served brewing in a nice pot with water which is certainly hot enough. Teas there run $4 pot but are included in both the classic and premium beverage packages.

Here is a link to the Tea Forte site which describes their tea infusers:

http://www.teaforte.com/about/behind-the-designs/

Edited by Lsimon

Didn't read through all the threads, but we brought a French press on Princess and it worked great! online you can get a nice plastic one for a good price...

Since Celebrity is again offering the 123 special (effective today), why not enjoy a relaxing cup of coffee served with a biscotti at the Cafe? When on vacation we enjoy the royal treatment!

:)

I get the gist of it, because at home I buy coffee from a shop that roasts and ships beans to order so it's always incredibly fresh and makes a world of difference as espresso. I just don't know the tea world as well. And you make a great point about the dining room, I never saw them offering the Tea Forte.

Of course, with coffee, I could tell that Al Bacio wasn't super fresh but it was at least as good as Sbux and was pulled by a real batista, not a button pusher.

If and when you sail Celebrity again do give the tea at Cafe al Bacio a try. The Tea Forte tea bags are special silken infuser pouches, not standard tea bags, and they are filled with fresh tea leaves just like the type of leaves you'd find in loose tea. When you have the tea at the Cafe, vs take away, it is served brewing in a nice pot with water which is certainly hot enough. Teas there run $4 pot but are included in both the classic and premium beverage packages.

Here is a link to the Tea Forte site which describes their tea infusers:

http://www.teaforte.com/about/behind-the-designs/

I have to say Larry that you rank among the people who's advice I have found most helpful, I sincerely thank you. I wish I had brought up the subject of tea BEFORE my cruise though.:( I feel this is now a total justification for booking my next cruise without delay; now what did I do with that travel agents number?....

We will be on the Century which has Cova Café. Is coffee any different on that ship? Am I correct that there is no such thing as just a Coffee Card on Celebrity as there is on Princess.

Cova is more or less the same as Cafe al Bacio on the ship with minor differences. All coffee bars on Celebrity were Cova at one point under a license or some sort of agreement with Cova which I believe is in Milan Italy. As the contracts expired they switched from the Cova name to Cafe al Bacio with not much of a real change in my opinion. Biggest change I noticed is that they no longer have the Cova chocolates which I thought was disappointing until I discovered the great little chocolate squares on the counter at the Cafe al Bacio coffee bars. There might be a difference in the coffee used as well but I couldn't say for sure as they've both been very good.

There is no coffee card. Only rate other than paying for individual drinks would be one of the unlimited beverage packages. The least expensive of these is the classic non-alcoholic package at $14 per person per day. You can buy this on board prorated from the time you purchase it to the end of the cruise if you decide once on board that it would be worth it to you.

Edited by Lsimon

Coming late to this thread, but I would definitely call the regular coffee available on any of the Celebrity ships we've been on "functional" at best.

I'll pretty much always end up grabbing an espresso at the onboard cafe, which while not awe-inspiring, is at least as good as you'd get at any non-indie coffee shop.

Mind you, I'm one of those people who only has one or maybe two coffees a day, not someone who swills it by the pot...