Weird Toilet Question!!

psycomac

I would think it would take a contortionist to flush the toilet while sitting on an NCL ship. On the Jewel, the button is behind the seat cover.

On a side note, with the powerful swoosh, I'd think there might be quite a splash back. Ewww!

Gross!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Gross!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

You know what I'm talking about! LOL! :)

You go to a public bathroom and assume the position (building those thigh muscles) over the toilet because you don't want to sit, and the auto flush goes off on you because you moved too much. :eek:

You go to a public bathroom and assume the position (building those thigh muscles) over the toilet because you don't want to sit, and the auto flush goes off on you because you moved too much. :eek:

OMG I know. I always flush first but still ..... it's happened before!!!! Nothing worse than toilet water on your butt - and it's not from your toilet!! LOL

OMG I know. I always flush first but still ..... it's happened before!!!! Nothing worse than toilet water on your butt - and it's not from your toilet!! LOL

Never seen much splash from vacuum toilets, as the water valve doesn't open until the discharge valve closes (bowl emptied), and the water just trickles in. As the vacuum is directed away from the bowl, there usually isn't much backflow.

Never seen much splash from vacuum toilets, as the water valve doesn't open until the discharge valve closes (bowl emptied), and the water just trickles in. As the vacuum is directed away from the bowl, there usually isn't much backflow.

The ship's toilets are good .... it's the ones in the airports that you have to watch out for!

I would think it would take a contortionist to flush the toilet while sitting on an NCL ship. On the Jewel, the button is behind the seat cover.

On a side note, with the powerful swoosh, I'd think there might be quite a splash back. Ewww!

The swoosh is from the vacuum system not water flow, thus no splash back.

-

So, just for the record, when you flush a toilet it produces aerosols which can be in the air 5 feet away.

It is really a good idea to teach children to close a lid before flushing, as should everyone.

Also, keep in mind if everyone would wipe the seat, line it with paper, then SIT DOWN, the public toilets would stay much cleaner!

I have not figured out how people hope to "hover" over a seat to do "number 2"--and you see the results disgustingly scattered about--ewwww!

-

So, just for the record, when you flush a toilet it produces aerosols which can be in the air 5 feet away.

It is really a good idea to teach children to close a lid before flushing, as should everyone.

Also, keep in mind if everyone would wipe the seat, line it with paper, then SIT DOWN, the public toilets would stay much cleaner!

I have not figured out how people hope to "hover" over a seat to do "number 2"--and you see the results disgustingly scattered about--ewwww!

Ummm...the number 2 thing is gross!! Would take a lot of talent to do that while hovering also. :D

-

unfortunately, lids are not always available on public toilets. The pictures of the Breakaway kids club bathrooms are just one recent example :\

unfortunately, lids are not always available on public toilets. The pictures of the Breakaway kids club bathrooms are just one recent example :\

Psycomac, it doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about regarding getting sucked into the toilet. :) Happy sailing and happy flushing!! :D

Psycomac, it doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about regarding getting sucked into the toilet. :) Happy sailing and happy flushing!! :D

lol i was talking about the splashback :P but ty! :D one day closer to being able to book /keeping fingers crossed

The difference between the public bathroom with the automated flush is

that the commode uses a great deal more water in the flushing process.

Even if it is an environmental friendly type.

The ship borne commode uses minimal water and a vacuum suction to

remove the waste. The design is to lower the lid on the commode to find

the button for flushing thereby removing any back spatter. In the public

commode there is no solid lid to prevent an overspray.

On modern aircraft you will find the same relative function as that on ships

- lower the lid to prevent unwanted spray and press the flush button.

Aye matey ye be walking the plank pushed by the ships Maintenance

department with a toilet plunger of sorts if you violate the rule of what

goes into the waste vessel. Your waste and the cheap toilet paper ONLY!

Anything else can jam the system and potentially render your section of

the ship to be a Carnival disaster in the making.

Make jokes about it - most everyone does at sometime but when you

gotta go and the system is down for maintenance the options are not

user friendly !

Remember to respect the throne !

The difference between the public bathroom with the automated flush is

that the commode uses a great deal more water in the flushing process.

Even if it is an environmental friendly type.

The ship borne commode uses minimal water and a vacuum suction to

remove the waste. The design is to lower the lid on the commode to find

the button for flushing thereby removing any back spatter. In the public

commode there is no solid lid to prevent an overspray.

On modern aircraft you will find the same relative function as that on ships

- lower the lid to prevent unwanted spray and press the flush button.

Aye matey ye be walking the plank pushed by the ships Maintenance

department with a toilet plunger of sorts if you violate the rule of what

goes into the waste vessel. Your waste and the cheap toilet paper ONLY!

Anything else can jam the system and potentially render your section of

the ship to be a Carnival disaster in the making.

Make jokes about it - most everyone does at sometime but when you

gotta go and the system is down for maintenance the options are not

user friendly !

Remember to respect the throne !

Even the reduced flow toilets ashore use 1.6 gallons per flush (if I remember right), while a vacuum toilet uses 1 liter.

Thank you for respecting the throne.

Just hope your works! We would push the button and it would flush and then keep running and running and running, and then the clean water would come OUT of a small drain in the floor.... This went on and off for days and we were not doing ANYTHING out of the ordinary! The first time, it totally overflowed all over the floor before we could get them to come look at it...and " fix it" Two days later.. same thing.. but by then we finally figured once it started to keep pushing the flush button every minute and it would eventually stop running....

( up to a point, then that stopped working..)We'd call the desk, and they would ssend someone to " fix" it, but two days later it was back to the same old problem! Halfway through the 12 day cruise it FINALLY worked properly...

Just hope your works! We would push the button and it would flush and then keep running and running and running, and then the clean water would come OUT of a small drain in the floor.... This went on and off for days and we were not doing ANYTHING out of the ordinary! The first time, it totally overflowed all over the floor before we could get them to come look at it...and " fix it" Two days later.. same thing.. but by then we finally figured once it started to keep pushing the flush button every minute and it would eventually stop running....

( up to a point, then that stopped working..)We'd call the desk, and they would ssend someone to " fix" it, but two days later it was back to the same old problem! Halfway through the 12 day cruise it FINALLY worked properly...

I apologize on behalf of whatever ship and line you were on.

I cannot say how other ships are run, but my crew would have been there round the clock to get the problem fixed. I can tell you exactly what the problem was, based on your description, but it's a little too technical for these boards, unless you are truly interested. Probably a 30 minute fix, and most of that time would have been going down to the shop to get the parts.

I find it interesting that you say the water came up from a floor drain (not doubting you). By law, the black water system (toilets) and the gray water system (sinks, showers, bathroom floor drains, galley, etc) must be completely separate down to the storage tanks in the engine space. There they are mixed to send through the waste water treatment plant.

The comedians on board often make jokes about the toilets, because of their noise. Probably my favorite was from comedian, Sam Griesbaum. He said, "Oh man! That toilet! You know, I flushed it and it made this incredible sound and I thought to myself - hey, I didn't want to launch it into outer space! I just wanted to get rid of it!" His delivery of the joke made it so funny.

I apologize on behalf of whatever ship and line you were on.

I cannot say how other ships are run, but my crew would have been there round the clock to get the problem fixed. I can tell you exactly what the problem was, based on your description, but it's a little too technical for these boards, unless you are truly interested. Probably a 30 minute fix, and most of that time would have been going down to the shop to get the parts.

I find it interesting that you say the water came up from a floor drain (not doubting you). By law, the black water system (toilets) and the gray water system (sinks, showers, bathroom floor drains, galley, etc) must be completely separate down to the storage tanks in the engine space. There they are mixed to send through the waste water treatment plant.

The crew was very apologetic! They sent a bottle of wine, and the second time they gave us a free dinner and wine. The first time it took a while to get someone to help. The 2 nd time we had been to our meet and greet and we called the head of housekeeping, She was there quickly... The 3rd time we called the desk and it took a little longer. We were on the Spirit. And the crew was there to see the water coming up from a drain on the floor! We made sure they saw it! it never overflowed from the actual toilet, only from the drain in the floor!

Archived