Question on passport/birth cerificate

boss_lady

My friend and I are sailing on the Jewel to Alaska 8/17/2013. Back in March she got married and at the end of March she sent off all the papers needed to have a new passport issued in her new last name. Just recently she recieved a letter asking her to send her marriage certificate again. She has done this.

We are 54 days from sailing so here is my question, if the passport isn't here by cruise time can she use her birth certificate and driver's license to get on board? Should I ask NCL this question, too?

Thanks in advance!!

My friend and I are sailing on the Jewel to Alaska 8/17/2013. Back in March she got married and at the end of March she sent off all the papers needed to have a new passport issued in her new last name. Just recently she recieved a letter asking her to send her marriage certificate again. She has done this.

We are 54 days from sailing so here is my question, if the passport isn't here by cruise time can she use her birth certificate and driver's license to get on board? Should I ask NCL this question, too?

Thanks in advance!!

If her driver's license has her married name, she will also have to present her marriage certificate along with her Birth certificate.

If her driver's license has her married name, she will also have to present her marriage certificate along with her Birth certificate.

What?!! In my pre passport days, I travelled with a birth certificate and a drivers license with different last names. Never asked anywhere to show my marriage certificate.

My sister and I just got off the May 25th Alaska Jewel sailing from Seattle, and she traveled with just her DL and Birth Cert. She did have to have the one with the official certified seal on it, and her name was the same. We had no issues getting on with it, we just were directed to a slightly different line coming off and the customs agent did validate the information on her certificate and DL. I would assume if you had a different name you would need some sort of legal document with proof of the name change. However, our experience was rather smooth and we had no issues.

What?!! In my pre passport days, I travelled with a birth certificate and a drivers license with different last names. Never asked anywhere to show my marriage certificate.

I had to do that last year. After lugging around all our important paperwork that one time, we got a passport.

Thanks in advance!!

Without a passport she couldn't take shore excursions into Canada from Skagway.

They don't always ask, but the person should have a bridge document showing why the last name changed.

I am surprised that the passport office asked for it again. Did they misplace it? Or did your friend send a copy? I believe an original is necessary.

But as all they will do is amend the passport by adding a note in the back stating her new name, it should reach her in plenty of time. At least that is what happened with mine when I did a name change several years ago. Then in a separate mailing they sent me back my original certificate.

I did mention to my friend about calling our congress person. We had to do that back in 2007, had sent our paper work in that year in April and they said it was pending right up until they got a call from them and then within a few days we had our passports. That was a few weeks before our cruise.

Anyway, she will check with them on their website to see what the progress is. Hopefully this last time will do the trick.

I am waiting to hear from my PCC at NCL on this too. I did read on their website that if you are doing a round trip from Seattle back to Seattle you can use a bc,dl, etc. At checkin on the website you can use the birth certificate.

Thanks everyone for your help. This site is great for answering questions.

But as all they will do is amend the passport by adding a note in the back stating her new name, it should reach her in plenty of time. At least that is what happened with mine when I did a name change several years ago. Then in a separate mailing they sent me back my original certificate.
Amendments, as yours was, have not happened since 2005. Instead, entirely new passports are issued.

In my pre passport days, I travelled with a birth certificate and a drivers license with different last names. Never asked anywhere to show my marriage certificate.

Was that pre-9/11? Much has changed since then. I'm old enough that I remember getting on air liners and having to show nothing but the ticket.

THANK YOU everyone for all your help.

Just received an email from my friend and her passport is in the mail!!

Yipee!!! No more worries on that. Now we can plan and pack for the cruise.

Great news!

BTW, this thread was good information for others!!! Thanks.

Archived