Pre Cruise hotel near St. Pancreas?

Tybro

I'm leaving from Dover in September and want to spend a few nights in London. I saw that the train station from London to Dover is Kings Cross/St. Pancreas so would probably want to stay somewhere with easy access to that station. Would like to hear from anyone who has stayed in this area.

Thanks

There's plenty of hotels in the area ranging from the 5* Renaissance which is adjacent to the station, but expensive, to much more budget friendly hotels.

What is your approx budget?

Also it's St Pancras, not Pancreas!

I would say $250 or under per night. I just want something that is decent and most of all CLEAN. That's what matters most to me. A clean place with a comfortable bed. I don't need a lot of amenities. I've looked on line and seen a few...Preimiere Inn, Alhambra Hotel, Megaro Hotel.. Are you familiar with any of theses? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

There are also trains to Dover from Charing Cross, Waterloo and Victoria. They take a few minutes longer and they're cheaper -- and those stations are much closer to areas of London you'll want to stay in. (The St Pancras/King's Cross area is renowned for, um, hotels rented by the hour.)

There's a high-end hotel (a Renaissance) in St Pancras station itself, but if you want Premier Inn, it's a British chain of modern 'cheap-but-decent' hotels. (Think Holiday Inn Express or maybe Hilton Garden Inn.) They can often have some really good deals if you book well in advance (non-refundable, non-changeable, etc.)

But if it were me, I'd look for somewhere either around Trafalgar Square (next to Charing Cross) or around County Hall (next to Waterloo). And there are tons of hotels around Victoria.

There are also trains to Dover from Charing Cross, Waterloo and Victoria. They take a few minutes longer and they're cheaper -- and those stations are much closer to areas of London you'll want to stay in. (The St Pancras/King's Cross area is renowned for, um, hotels rented by the hour.)

There's a high-end hotel (a Renaissance) in St Pancras station itself, but if you want Premier Inn, it's a British chain of modern 'cheap-but-decent' hotels. (Think Holiday Inn Express or maybe Hilton Garden Inn.) They can often have some really good deals if you book well in advance (non-refundable, non-changeable, etc.)

But if it were me, I'd look for somewhere either around Trafalgar Square (next to Charing Cross) or around County Hall (next to Waterloo). And there are tons of hotels around Victoria.

Sorry but that information is way out of date. Kings Cross area is changed with a great deal of development. Try the Premier Inn just west of KK/St Pancras going towards Euston.

Book early for the best rates.

Gan canny

Dai

:cool:

Stayed at Megaro couple of weeks ago. Loved it. I really like the area around here, no issues for me.

If don't stay there, recommend a cocktail or aperitif in the bar of the renaissance at least. It is magnificent, although I'm yet to find a decent rate when I have needed to stay!

In august we staydd at Studios 2 Let, aboug a 5 min walk from St Pancreas, straight opposite Cartwright Gardens, lovely apartments and so close to transport and the Eurostar that we had got off.

Next year we are looking to stay there or one of the 3 Premier Inns that are close to thd station as we come in on the Eurostar sgain.

The apartments had little kitchens, free wifi and ours had a little courtyard.

Deb

Although the fastest Dover trains leave from St Pancras (spelling), there are a number of other options. You can also take the train from Charing Cross (near Trafalgar Square), Waterloo East (near London Eye), London Bridge, or Victoria (near Buckingham Palace). You can also take the National Express coach from Victoria, and this is likely to be your cheapest option.

The area around St Pancras/Kings Cross is a little "mixed", if you chose that area make it south of the station/Euston Road. Perhaps a hotel handy to the British Museum & Russell Square tube station.

Mebbe it's just me, but I don't rate north central London, for either convenience or locality.

Around Charing Cross is the most central & convenient area, but it's also one of the most expensive.

I'd not recommend close to London Bridge station, but that station is the most convenient if you want to stay in the Tower Bridge/Tower of London area- that's the easternmost end of "tourist London".

Between Waterloo East & Westminster Bridge is very walkable to a great many sights, such as Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Churchill War Rooms, Horse Guards Parade, & along the South Bank (south bank of the River Thames), but don't book far from the river. The County Hall area is a good compromise between cost & convenience, and it's where I would choose.

Victoria has the best transport links to Heathrow & Gatwick airports and to Dover. It's at the western end of "tourist London", but a number of sights are walkable. Popular with tourists because of its transport links, its range of small hotels, & its compromise between cost & convenience.

Those stations are the green letters B to F on this map, and "tourist London" is very vaguely within the blue box.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=...10,11&t=m&z=13

Best to choose a hotel convenient to a tube station & a ho-ho route.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/

Your departure is London (Victoria coach station).

Your destination is Dover (town centre) or Dover (ferry). Ignore the cruise terminal option, this applies only to Fred Olsen cruises, but drivers usually drop cruise passengers at the terminal "as a favour".

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/

Your departure is London (all stations), your destination is Dover Priory. This will offer trains starting at St Pancras, Victoria & Charing Cross.

For London Bridge and Waterloo East stations, select a journey from Charing Cross & click on "details", then "show calling points"

The two major ho-ho operators:

http://www.theoriginaltour.com/

http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/londo...ing_tour&gclid=

Avoid the Golden Tours hop-on, which has limited frequency & routes, though their (not hop-on) London Tour may suit.

Premier Inns are a national chain, well-respected for clean & basic amenities and good value (though London is more expensive). Most of their hotels are rather featureless modern clones, though some - such as in County Hall - are a little more quirky & historic.

JB :)

I live not too far from Kings Cross and am amazed at how it has been transformed in recent years. The bad image of drugs and prostitution that it had of a few years ago has no relation to what it is now. There is a whole new area with theatre, art gallery, bars, restaurants, canal side pubs and restaurants etc. all within very easy access to anywhere in London.

There are hotels within the close vicinity, but just up the road at Angel, Islington you have Jury's and a Hilton. At City Road, not far away is another Premium Inn.

The Angel, Islington has long been a mecca for those looking for good restaurants, bars and the antiques market.

Archived