Bon Voyage liquor price increases

ahottoddie

I have found this thread somewhat entertaining to read. Those that are upset about the increase in price for a small bottle of liquor stating that at $50 a bottle it was ok but $75 is too much! What? And those that say that $75 for a small bottle of liquor is ok cause their on vacation! Say what?

Some state that they cruise on Carnival because it is a "more affordable" cruise line. Uh?

For the price that Carnival is charging for ONE, 1 liter bottle of liquor I can buy FOUR, 1 liter bottles of the same at the local liquor store.

Now I don't profess to be a genius or even anything close but I do know when someone is trying to get over on me.

I'm not the kind of person who will travel 10 miles to shop at a grocery store that has a 50 cent savings on 1 item but neither do I travel with a company who apparently has decided to either take advantage of their customers or make something so unaffordable as to force them into deciding to participate in their drink program.

I will offer this advice to Carnival: Take a look at what happened to JC Penny's and how they are now having to undo what they tried to do and how much they lost in the mean time.

This liquor fiasco along with the missing schedules for 5 of the ships and lack of communication with customers has now placed Carnival to the bottom of my list.

Was looking at Sams today at bottle prices. Was so shocked. Bottle of Bacardi Rum. It was $27 for a 750ml. Now Carnival wants $75. I call that prue greedy. That is 3 times the going rate. I have ordered from BV before and would again but not with these prices. Carnival is nuts.

Wow, I can not believe the big price hike:eek:. Does anyone know if the Breeze has the cheers program and if so, what is the new cost?

Breeze has the Cheers program and the price remains (well that hike was a few months ago maybe?) 49.95 per day plus gratuity..

They're going to push the price of BV up as close to ship bar retail as they can. Obviously they have pretty good demand now, if they bothered to put it up on the website, which a couple of years ago, they didn't.

They gotcha, basically. You can do it this way, or you can smuggle. Most people that were buying a *formerly* $90 bottle of vodka or tequila aren't the smuggling type.

I agree. I remember my first cruise not even realizing you could order liquor from BV. Once I found out you could I was amazed you couldnt find the info or prices online. I always felt like I was ordering something "contraband" lol for the way it was so "hidden".

I'm one who has no problem with smuggling but I was torn for my upcoming cruise. The Captain Morgan was $65. Being that it is a full liter and not 750 ml, I reasoned that it was only about double what I'd pay in a non-discount liquor store. So I was contemplating just going BV and not worrying about the booze in my luggage.

I think they prices now are easily 3X what you can pay in any store. That is a deal breaker for me. I will smuggle with rum runners and if that doesn't work I'll try to get some in at the first port, etc. I will still have a big bar tab as I have a budget and I spend it all when I cruise.

My biggest concern now, I mentioned this to John Heald on his Facebook page. He didn't know about the increases. I also mentioned how this would make people more apt to smuggle. He thanked me and asked me to send my cabin number a day before I cruise. Now, is he going to give me a free gift, or ensure that they check my luggage for booze? :D

Seriously, the man, the one in the know big John Heald didn't know about the increase! Didn't know about the increase, has provided several "release dates" for the missing ship schedules. I guess the head honchos for Carnival aren't even telling their main spokesperson about changes. What a way to run a boat! That's right I said it. :D And he wants your cabin number? Let us know how that works out.. :)

Seriously, the man, the one in the know big John Heald didn't know about the increase! Didn't know about the increase, has provided several "release dates" for the missing ship schedules. I guess the head honchos for Carnival aren't even telling their main spokesperson about changes. What a way to run a boat! That's right I said it. :D And he wants your cabin number? Let us know how that works out.. :)

Perhaps he didn't know because he has been on vacation for weeks, he just returned on Friday.

Perhaps he didn't know because he has been on vacation for weeks, he just returned on Friday.

He has been reporting from a couple of Carnival Ships; just because he is on vacation doesn't matter. He has been providing information that has proven incorrect, whether he was providing what he was given or what he was guessing at, either way it was wrong.

I'm one who has no problem with smuggling but I was torn for my upcoming cruise. The Captain Morgan was $65. Being that it is a full liter and not 750 ml, I reasoned that it was only about double what I'd pay in a non-discount liquor store. So I was contemplating just going BV and not worrying about the booze in my luggage.

I think they prices now are easily 3X what you can pay in any store. That is a deal breaker for me. I will smuggle with rum runners and if that doesn't work I'll try to get some in at the first port, etc. I will still have a big bar tab as I have a budget and I spend it all when I cruise.

My biggest concern now, I mentioned this to John Heald on his Facebook page. He didn't know about the increases. I also mentioned how this would make people more apt to smuggle. He thanked me and asked me to send my cabin number a day before I cruise. Now, is he going to give me a free gift, or ensure that they check my luggage for booze? :D

3X??? Try 6X!!!:mad::(

I can buy the Captain-6 bottles for $67 including tax TODAY!!!:eek:

Was looking at Sams today at bottle prices. Was so shocked. Bottle of Bacardi Rum. It was $27 for a 750ml. Now Carnival wants $75. I call that prue greedy. That is 3 times the going rate. I have ordered from BV before and would again but not with these prices. Carnival is nuts.

At the store inside the ship it is 2 bacardi for $19.99 no taxes but you will

get it on the last day of your cruise. At least you can drink a lot on the last night:)

Holy crap! I was in a thread a few days ago when the site was up and down but prices had not changed. Today the Captain Morgan is now $80. They just changed my mind from Bon Voyage to Rum Runners. Idiots.

I would guess the prices will continue to go until the BV rate comes close to the prices per drink at the bars. That is what I think.

Gary

All done with B.V. Was a nice thing have...not anymore. pigs get fat...hogs get slaughtered. Just get rid of the program instead pissing off your Carnival customers.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

sure is. The bottle of jim beam i can get locally is $20, from bv $60. Usery rates. no wonder people smuggle.

holy crap! I was in a thread a few days ago when the site was up and down but prices had not changed. Today the captain morgan is now $80. they just changed my mind from bon voyage to rum runners. Idiots.

"like"!

Ok. So I am new to Carnival - my first CC cruise is on the Paradise in Sept which does not have the Cheers program...

The BV cost is usury.... drinks at the bars costly... so assuming someone were to "smuggle" a bottle and be found out - what happens to the bottle?

If the liquor police find the rum runner, water bottle, shampoo container etc., that has the contraband - what happens to it?

Seems to me, should they confiscate your booze - you have now wasted THAT money and your drinks have now increased 3 fold.

Am I missing something here?

Ok. So I am new to Carnival - my first CC cruise is on the Paradise in Sept which does not have the Cheers program...

The BV cost is usury.... drinks at the bars costly... so assuming someone were to "smuggle" a bottle and be found out - what happens to the bottle?

If the liquor police find the rum runner, water bottle, shampoo container etc., that has the contraband - what happens to it?

Seems to me, should they confiscate your booze - you have now wasted THAT money and your drinks have now increased 3 fold.

any contraband in it's original unopened container you get back at the end of the cruise...rum runners and such, if found, they do not return

unopened bottles they return at the end of the cruise. Smuggled rum runners ,shampoo bottles full of rum ,mouthwash containers full of liquor. Those will be disposed of if they catch it and not returned.They may change the policy on returning unopened bottles next

We have bought a bottle of something through BV each cruise since I learned about this option a few years ago. In February I sputtered and questioned the representative on the phone when I heard the price of Jim Beam and Crown. After a sip of water, I did the simple math (all I am capable of ;)) and decided the exorbitant price was less than buying individual drinks at the bar, plus we enjoy the convenience of having the bottle in the room, so I bought the bottle through BV.

Now I learn through this thread that the BV prices are up again, just as we head into our short cruise in August. Time for more simple math:

I will assume that most bar ordered single liquor drinks contain one shot of liquor and with 15% gratituty the cost for one drink is $6.97. It may be more or slighlty less, but these assumptions will work for my rough estimate.

A shot glass will hold 44 ml and the BV bottle is either 750 ml or 1 liter. A 750 ml bottle will pour 17 single shot drinks for $5.88 per drink if the bottle cost $100. My liquor choice will be closer to $75 for a 750 ml bottle, so my single shot drink made with the BV liquor should be about $4.41 not including the mixer. That's a total savings of $43.52 over having purchased 17 single shot drinks at the bar. I get to have a drink in my cabin without having to leave to order it at the bar, and I don't have to worry about losing my rum runner.

So, unless I'm way off with my simple math (always possible) I'll still buy a bottle through BV even though I'll grimmace at the high price of the single bottle. Btw, I still have uses for my little rum runners. :)

The thing with dh is...he wants to mix his OWN drink..he may have only one...but it is a strong one....LOL....in the cabin while he is dressing..he's not a big drinker..but for the past several cruises have bought a bottle...brought it home with us if we're driving or given it away if we're flying...not sure what we'll do on our 5 niter in November.

I can remember the day when we would buy a bottle in the store when the shops opened and take it back to the cabin for the duration of the cruise:D

any contraband in it's original unopened container you get back at the end of the cruise...rum runners and such, if found, they do not return

Well, since Grey Goose is now $90 at BV, its worth the attempt - in its original package ( $43 @ Costco). If it's discovered, it can be picked up on the way to disembark. Pack some bubble wrap, put in the checked luggage for the plane ( with a plastic bag for insurance) and save it for the next party!

Is this normal??? We are now 63 days from our Alaska cruise on the Miracle and the bottle of Skyy vodka thru Bon Voyage that was $50 2 months ago and $55 last week is now $65...*** is this normal and will it keep increasing as we get closer still???:confused:

much like everything else in this country you buy....prices are rising! went to buy a hose from menards last week for $10.99 (not on sale) but decided not too, went back today...$16.99...oh well

We have bought a bottle of something through BV each cruise since I learned about this option a few years ago. In February I sputtered and questioned the representative on the phone when I heard the price of Jim Beam and Crown. After a sip of water, I did the simple math (all I am capable of ;)) and decided the exorbitant price was less than buying individual drinks at the bar, plus we enjoy the convenience of having the bottle in the room, so I bought the bottle through BV.

Now I learn through this thread that the BV prices are up again, just as we head into our short cruise in August. Time for more simple math:

I will assume that most bar ordered single liquor drinks contain one shot of liquor and with 15% gratituty the cost for one drink is $6.97. It may be more or slighlty less, but these assumptions will work for my rough estimate.

A shot glass will hold 44 ml and the BV bottle is either 750 ml or 1 liter. A 750 ml bottle will pour 17 single shot drinks for $5.88 per drink if the bottle cost $100. My liquor choice will be closer to $75 for a 750 ml bottle, so my single shot drink made with the BV liquor should be about $4.41 not including the mixer. That's a total savings of $43.52 over having purchased 17 single shot drinks at the bar. I get to have a drink in my cabin without having to leave to order it at the bar, and I don't have to worry about losing my rum runner.

So, unless I'm way off with my simple math (always possible) I'll still buy a bottle through BV even though I'll grimmace at the high price of the single bottle. Btw, I still have uses for my little rum runners. :)

Thank you Josher61 for providing the link. I checked out the price of Crown and Jack Daniels for a 1 liter. It is expensive at $75, but that comes out to $3.30 a drink. Even with the $90 Grey Goose you are only paying $3.96 per drink. Anyone know how much a premium vodka is at the bar?

Archived