Silly yet important question for 9 year old gluten free cruiser

I would call special needs to have them look at the list of ingrediants on the boxes.

There is soft serve ice cream and soft serve yogurt. both. They pour in a mixture from a box, so should be able to get the ingrediants off the box.

We are leaving on the Pride next week. This is my daughter's first cruise since her celiac diagnosis. Can anyone confirm if the soft serve ice cream is gluten free? If she can't sneak in her ice cream snacks she will be so disappointed.

My wife has Celiac disease and we wondered the same thing about the soft serve ice cream and the froyo. On our last cruise, Valor 2012, we literally asked one of the food workers who didn't know but to his credit called somebody on the phone down to the galley. After being on hold for about 10 minutes and not getting anywhere, English as a second language/lost in translation problems, my wife thanked him for his effort and drew herself a small cup of choc/vanilla ice cream.

After the obligatory half hour or so she did NOT have any gluten exposure symptoms and deemed it gluten free.

Caution: ingredients change constantly and YMMV.:cool:

I'm interested in this answer too so post when you are back please! Our daughter is 7 and was just diagnosed. I called Carnival for a price adjustment last week and asked if the ice cream and iced tea/lemonade are GF. She scrolled through several pages of notes and couldn't find the answer. We don't cruise until January so it's not a big deal yet, but please post when you get home!

I DID read somewhere that there was gluten in the soft serve, ice tea and lemonade but things change all the time....but you can go to the dining room and order hard serve GF ice cream in a cup and walk out with it.

I'm pretty nervous about traveling with her Celiac so PLEASE let us know how her food choices were. Thanks and good luck!!

I'm interested in this answer too so post when you are back please! Our daughter is 7 and was just diagnosed. I called Carnival for a price adjustment last week and asked if the ice cream and iced tea/lemonade are GF. She scrolled through several pages of notes and couldn't find the answer. We don't cruise until January so it's not a big deal yet, but please post when you get home!

I DID read somewhere that there was gluten in the soft serve, ice tea and lemonade but things change all the time....but you can go to the dining room and order hard serve GF ice cream in a cup and walk out with it.

I'm pretty nervous about traveling with her Celiac so PLEASE let us know how her food choices were. Thanks and good luck!!

Just as an FYI, this upcoming cruise will be our 5th cruise and all on Carnival. It will be my wife's 3rd Carnival cruise since her Celiac diagnosis.

We have done a ton of research and we were leaning towards a RCI cruise last cruise in 2012. My wife has been treated so well on Carnival regarding her Celiac that she is nervous trying any other line!!

While that may not answer your questions it should tell you something about her level of trust based on past experiences. Make no mistake, her level of intolerance is very high. She is very careful at home but still got "sick" baking cookies for her son just from the flour dust. True story.

Just as an FYI, this upcoming cruise will be our 5th cruise and all on Carnival. It will be my wife's 3rd Carnival cruise since her Celiac diagnosis.

We have done a ton of research and we were leaning towards a RCI cruise last cruise in 2012. My wife has been treated so well on Carnival regarding her Celiac that she is nervous trying any other line!!

While that may not answer your questions it should tell you something about her level of trust based on past experiences. Make no mistake, her level of intolerance is very high. She is very careful at home but still got "sick" baking cookies for her son just from the flour dust. True story.

Good to hear! That seems to be a common theme - Carnival is good for gluten-free diets! My daughter is extremely sensitive too and suffers badly from the DH rash too.

To the OP - one more thing I forgot to mention...the Carnival rep told me they'll make her a GF pizza at the pizza station. I'm not sure if the Pride has one of those or not.

My 7yr old son is celiac and I can confirm that he ate from the ice cream machine daily, with no reaction. And he is very reactive- so it was DEF. gluten free, at least on our cruise.

He also drank plenty of lemonade with no problems. Honestly, I didn't even question the lemonade. I've never heard of a drink like that containing Gluten. (beer is a different story! But of course, he's not drinking that :)

My 7yr old son is celiac and I can confirm that he ate from the ice cream machine daily, with no reaction. And he is very reactive- so it was DEF. gluten free, at least on our cruise.

He also drank plenty of lemonade with no problems. Honestly, I didn't even question the lemonade. I've never heard of a drink like that containing Gluten. (beer is a different story! But of course, he's not drinking that :)

DH hit the soft serve machines multiple times a day and drank gallons of lemonade on the Freedom last month and he did not have any reaction. If he had gotten any gluten he would have spent the rest of the cruise in the bathroom, if you get my drift, but he was fine the entire cruise.

I had no problems with the soft ice cream, BUT beware of the scrambled "eggs" in the buffet. I had no idea they were from a carton. And, of course, they contain gluten. Loads of it judging by the way I reacted to it.

Thanks so much! I was really hopeful it would be gluten free and thankful to hear it likely is. I never question drinks either and would be surprised what they might add to lemonade or ice tea with gluten.

Any other tips and tricks to share from those who have recently sailed gluten free (especially with kids)? I'm also gf but happy to stick with the salad bar at the buffet. I'm planning to pack some buns, a loaf of bread, and some packets of gf salad dressing just to make sure we're covered when the dining room is not open.

I was on Glory last month. I've sailed on many cruise lines since being g-free. They are all similar IMO.

I don't care for any g-free bread/buns. I bring a large bag of tortilla chips and several bags of Pamela's cookies (unopened.) I put portions in sandwich bags each day to carry to the lido deck.

Thanks so much! I was really hopeful it would be gluten free and thankful to hear it likely is. I never question drinks either and would be surprised what they might add to lemonade or ice tea with gluten.

Any other tips and tricks to share from those who have recently sailed gluten free (especially with kids)? I'm also gf but happy to stick with the salad bar at the buffet. I'm planning to pack some buns, a loaf of bread, and some packets of gf salad dressing just to make sure we're covered when the dining room is not open.

Just take the time to meet up with the maitre'd on boarding day - they will assign someone to you that will make sure your daughter's needs are met - they're almost insane about it! They took such good care of my 18yo on our March cruise after she'd had surgery and could only eat soft foods that she felt totally spoiled (made creme brulee for her even though it wasn't on the menu, made sure she had fish options that weren't even on the regular menu ... they were wonderful). My mother is gluten free and they also will walk through the buffet with you and point out all the gluten free options. You don't have much to worry about - but if your dd does want eggs, make sure you go to the omelet station or the main dining room - they will cook them to order for her there, and they're real eggs.

ALWAYS ask for real eggs if you are going to eat them. All the eggs contain gluten unless you are getting real eggs. Even with the omelets, they will use real eggs if you just ask them. Carnival is really good about this.

Archived