Scrapbooking in Roatan, Honduras

C1ndyluhu

Hi! I am the organizer of a scrapbooking group who will be cruising to Belize and Honduras in December. I am hoping to put together our own shore excursion to visit scrapbooking stores in Belize City, Belize, Roatan, Honduras, and Cozumel, Mexico, if any exist. Are there any Roatan experts here who might know if/where such a store might be? I have never been to Belize or Honduras, only Cozumel.

Thank you in advance!

Hi! I am the organizer of a scrapbooking group who will be cruising to Belize and Honduras in December. I am hoping to put together our own shore excursion to visit scrapbooking stores in Belize City, Belize, Roatan, Honduras, and Cozumel, Mexico, if any exist. Are there any Roatan experts here who might know if/where such a store might be? I have never been to Belize or Honduras, only Cozumel.

Thank you in advance!

Belize and Roatan are extremely poor countries.

So I doubt if the locals have any disposable income for scrapbooking supplies...

Let alone have a brick and mortar store for such.

Were you guys looking to just stroll through a hobby store or

is there something specific that you were looking for that might be found in another type of store? (honestly I have only seen scrapbooking pages etc.. at like Walmart, Michael's and HobbyLobby.)

I'd be happy to suggest any other places I know in the 3 ports.

If I knew what you were looking for...

But I have never seen a hobby store, let alone a scrapbook specific store in any of those 3 stops. (I would think Cozumel would be your best bet.)

Best of luck in your quest though.

Bill

I was actually fortunate to get some information from a travel agent and the Belize Chamber of Commerce that lead me to a couple of possible stores in Belize City. I have not contacted the stores directly yet, as I wanted to see what I could find out on here before I researched it further.

As for what we would want to do, our group loves to shop, of course, so a shopping trip to these stores to see what they might have available (especially anything that we might not have in the U.S.) or to learn from them what is popular. Even just to visit with them about the techniques they use, etc. would be interesting.

Basically we are just looking for something "scrapbooking" to do in port. Many of our cruisers will not even get off the ship (yes, really!) because all they want to do is scrapbook, so I thought this might be a fun thing to see if we can find something worthy of a group activity. I am open to suggestions.

I am going to start this response off with a sincere request that you don't take offense ....... but I truly had to chuckle when I read this. Since you haven't been to either one of these places - I can only say that you will see what we mean when you get there.

Belize City - once past the small tourist village where the tender will dock, you will find yourself in one of the most run-down poor areas I have visited (and I have been to Cairo Egypt :eek: ) There are many threads discussing the pros and cons of even walking around in this area as far as safety is concerned. Many will not venture more than a few blocks from the port entrance (secure area). Both times I have visited here I have done tours (private - not ships tours) and have NOT stayed in town. On one tour we did a small tour of the city before we went out into the countryside and it was sad. Even with all the tourist business these people do not benefit from it very much at all. It is going into someones pocket tho..... I would be truly amazed if you found anything remotely like a scrapbooking store here.......most of the residents are lucky to get basic necessities including housing as most of the buildings look like they are going to fall down any minute.

Roatan - still a third world country but due to tourist trade in better shape than Belize. Have visited on a cruise stop and also on 2 trips there for a week stay each time ...... have not seen any store of this type. There is one "mall" area near French Harbor but again, I doubt you will find what you are searching for here. Instead you will find a beautiful island with friendly people, good food and gorgeous beaches and water !

Hope this helps and I hope you have fun on your scrapbooking cruise.....

I was actually fortunate to get some information from a travel agent and the Belize Chamber of Commerce that lead me to a couple of possible stores in Belize City. I have not contacted the stores directly yet, as I wanted to see what I could find out on here before I researched it further.

As for what we would want to do, our group loves to shop, of course, so a shopping trip to these stores to see what they might have available (especially anything that we might not have in the U.S.) or to learn from them what is popular. Even just to visit with them about the techniques they use, etc. would be interesting.

Basically we are just looking for something "scrapbooking" to do in port. Many of our cruisers will not even get off the ship (yes, really!) because all they want to do is scrapbook, so I thought this might be a fun thing to see if we can find something worthy of a group activity. I am open to suggestions.

OK, as a guy, who does not have any family who scrapbook, I guess I don't understand what "scrapbooking" is.

I thought you had to "do" something to have something to scrapbook about. ( I was always under the assumption that people scrapbooked vacation things done, kids activities, etc...)

So I guess I am confused about the people in your group visiting other countries, yet staying on the ship to scrapbook.:confused:

OK, back to the folks who do want to explore a bit...

As I said before (and the poster between these two posts also did)

Belize is extraordinarily poor once you step outside the gates of the pier complex. (even Belize's cruise complex is poorer, least updated of the ones you will visit)

I will say that I am a big, 6'1" guy, who has been around the world and lived for 2 years in the late 70's, as a kid, in Turkey, when it was still a very 3rd world country. So I understand how to be vigilant, yet enjoy what other countries have to offer.

The only other cruise stop I ever felt even slightly unsafe, was in Jamaica, where a group of pushy vendors, would not take no for an answer and physically tried to separate DW and I and I had to get physical to get back to her and return to the cruise complex.

Belize was the one stop, that I would only leave the pier area on a cruiseline excursion. (I usually book independant in most ports)

I would never consider letting DW and a few friends leave the cruise area on their own in Belize.

Roatan is nicer than Belize, but again very poor.

Cozumel, IMO, would definitely be your best shot to:

1) find fellow scrapbookers amongst the Americans and Europeans who have moved there to live.

2) find an actual brick and mortar scrapbook or hobby store. (there are Walmart type stores off Avenida 30 that runs through the center of town)

3) have a safe (you still need to be vigilant for pickpockets, like any US town) place for you and your friends to stroll shopping areas in town.

If any of them happen to speak Spanish to bargain, goldmine for your group.

San Miguel de Cozumel is the actual town. (Cozumel is the island)

SanMiguelstreetmap.jpg

This is a good map of the downtown area.

Here is a link to another great map. (just not as clean, but shows some landmarks)http://www.gocozumel.com/map.htm

You might be able to contact someone at Cozumel Insider for help with your quest.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/News

A USA Today article about shopping in Cozumel

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/shop-cozumel-mexico-1437.html

If you go a couple of blocks in from the main shops on Avenida Rafael Melgar (the main road that follows the shoreline) you can find cheaper prices and more flea market type vibe. (and bargaining)

When I go shopping in any of these foreign countries I only carry $1's and $5's with me, and keep them in small bundles in my pocket, so I never pull out a wad of cash in front of vendors. (I keep bigger bills in inside pockets if needed for a bigger find)

Taxis and vendors frequently find themselves with no change for $10 and $20's or larger.

I would try to find the San Miguel chamber of commerce and see if they can answer your specific question about a scrapbook shop and then give you more info about all shops and perhaps some maps for your group.

I wish you the best of luck, in at least finding one shop on your trip.

Have a safe and wonderful shopping adventure.

Bill

• 1 month later...

I don't think you will find stores dedicated to scrapbooking, but you might find some scrapbooking pages and doodads that will help you add to your supplies. Or, perhaps as an alternative to learning more about scrapbooking, you could contact a school or church on Roatan and show some kids or adults how to scrapbook.

What if you arranged a photography tour on the island? Your friends could take some amazing photos of this gorgeous island--flowers at the botanical garden, the spectacular water, the colorful buildings, etc. Then print the photos on the ship and use them in your scrapbooking. I don't know how adventurous your group is, but some could snorkel and get some great shots and others could take a tour in an air-conditioned vehicle.

I hope your group has fun, and I hope they take the opportunity to enjoy what Roatan has to offer. Have a great time!

• 3 months later...

I'm a scrapbooker and I have a place on Roatan (I've also been to Belize City)so I can tell you that you will not be finding any real scrapbooking supplies there. You should be able to find stickers you can use at many of the shops, but that is pretty much it unless you want photo albums (I've seen some hand made ones that were tropical, but most likely imported from Asia, and a few leather ones that have been nice.) I mostly do digital scrapbooking now so if any of your group want digital files I can see about making some PNG files of stuff I have- good luck, I'd love to do a scrapbook cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

Bill, I *AM* a scrapbooker, and I rather agree with you. I can't imagine staying on the ship when it is in port to scrapbook when I could be out taking pictures and gaining experiences to write about in my scrapbooks. Of course, this might explain why I am almost three years behind in making my albums!

Now, if this was an annual cruise and it went to the same ports over and over, then maybe I could see hitting a place like Belize and Jamaica where I hear people are afraid to venture out for safety concerns as an excuse to stay and scrapbook the rest of my trip!

Brick and mortar stores dedicated to scrapbooking are becoming harder to find even in the U.S as more and more people are moving toward digital options. Most supplies are either online or rolled up into a general craft store. I would imagine such a thing to be nearly impossible in a poorer country.

But, I wish the group luck in finding something for their albums. It's always exciting when you find the perfect paper and/or embellishments.

Our scrap booking consists of gathering photos and handwritten notes from new-found friends and whatever else we can get as remembrances, and at the same time enjoying the experiences.

I'm sorry to read of negative experiences in Jamaica (unknown where), we spent time there and yes there are poorer areas you drive through. But we as 4 couples never experienced any of that and I'm sorry to read of locals actually threatening tourists?

A few years back my hubby and I went to Belize and I wanted to check out a fabric store in town so we walked to the store that was outside the secure area but being goofballs from Minnesota really never thought much of it. We walked back after visiting the store and took a short tour of the city in a van that had no air conditioning, radio or anything what so ever on the dash. The guy said everything gets stolen. When he was coming into to the downtown area he got out of the van came around and locked my door than locked my hubbies door and said that the area we were going into was not a safe are. Well wouldn't you know it we had just gotten done walking to that area. :eek:we have been back since and have not done that again. Your best and safest bet is to buy the scrapbooking pages that are in the photo area on the boat, and use your pictures from the trip.