Hurricane Time

Hurricane season is already underway. It typically lasts until the end of Oct. Peak season is Aug. & Sept. This is typically when you see the hurricanes develop in the Atlantic and make their way west.

Not to worry. The captain will avoid these storms if one is approaching...might have to juggle or change the port of calls.

Don't worry about it. I live in central FL and of the three eyes of the hurricanes to hit central FL last year two of them went right over my house and the third about 10 miles west of here. I'm so "hurricaned out" from last year I'm going on the Sovereign on Aug. 12th and the Mariner Aug. 21st. The captain will stay well clear of the storms, but your ports might have to be changed. I don't mind...as long as I am not at home going through another three storms this year! Go, you will have fun.

Actually when you go around the storm the seas can be fairly calm. It depends on the width of the storm bands. There could be some major motion at times but this is always possible during any cruise no matter what the weather is like. Especially when going across the Atlantic Ocean's current when headed to or from the Caribbean.

I have been on a cruise trying to outrun a hurricane a couple of years ago. The weather was bad, however if you were somewhere in the ship you would never know anything is going on excpet for the hourly updates from the captian. Looking at the waves they looked scary but going thru them was no problem. To rock a major cruise ship (Voyager class especially) is virtually impossible.

Last year during the hurricanes one of the two that hit on the east coast of FLA closed the ports - Canaveral, Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) for a few days. If you go back and read some of the previous cruise reviews this turned a 7 night cruise into a 9 or 10 day cruise.

Cruising during hurricane season has its risks - that is why the cost of the cruise is less than peak season. Relax and enjoy yourself no matter what the weather might be. As they say in the islands Relax & no problem, mon.

Last Sept. we were on the Explorer during Hurrican Jeanne and stayed out to sea for an extra day while she made landfall. We're going again in early Oct. Prices are better, not too many kids onboard and we'll continue taking our chances.:eek: I love fall cruises...makes me feel like summer's got just a little more juice left.:D

Peak season is all of August or toward the end?I hope I did not makw a mistake by going 1st week of Aug.Now you have me Freaked out!

Why would anyone book a vacation on a cruise ship if they are afraid of rough seas? Amazing.

Actually, hurricane season starts June 1st and ends November 30th. I've sailed once in August and we had the effects of a tropical storm. I thought it was fun, but others were sick so obviously they disagreed. ;)

Actually, hurricane season starts June 1st and ends November 30th. I've sailed once in August and we had the effects of a tropical storm. I thought it was fun, but others were sick so obviously they disagreed. ;)

I agree. During a storm is the best time to get your ship photo's taken. Don't have to worry about anyone getting in your pictures.

Not me. Hopefully that movie doesn't get you spooked into not booking cruises for awhile.

Nope, I already knew how it ended...but the ending is sad no matter how many times you watch it :(

I'm leaving in 36 days, and plan to book our next cruise while sailing :D Just not to Bermuda ;)

###

Nope, I already knew how it ended...but the ending is sad no matter how many times you watch it :(

I'm leaving in 36 days, and plan to book our next cruise while sailing :D Just not to Bermuda ;)

###

Hey, Bermuda is my favorite destination. ;)

The only hesitation I have about booking during hurricane season has to do with the airlines, not the cruise. If the hurricane is situated near your destination airport, then your flight may be cancelled and that can be a nasty hassle, especially if you've booked the airfare yourself.

Last year we found out nine hours before our flight left that the Miami Int'l Airport was closed. We rearranged our flights and flew down to Fort Myers (on the west coast) and intended to drive to Miami the next day to board the ship. It was later on that day that we found out that Miami was being evacuated and we had trouble finding a hotel vacancy, even in Ft. Myers. Once we were at the motel (it was a dinky, disgusting thing), we had trouble finding out whether or not the ship was going to be delayed and eventually called a neighbor to check the RCCL website. Our cruise was delayed by a day and did not leave port until Monday, therfore we had to spend a night in another hotel in Miami, which wasn't all that bad. We boarded the ship early Monday morning and were told that we had a shipboard credit as well as 50% off our next cruise. (A definite benefit for only missing one day of the cruise!) Your ports may be different and your planned excursions cancelled, but it's easy to have fun on a cruise.

Just be sure to buy travel insurance. It's a lifesaver during hurricane season.

the peak of hurricane season is normally September 10th with strong possibilities plus or minus ten days from that date.

My cruise is scheduled for October 15 and I think the worst, if any, problems will be over by then. Last year was an abberation, never saw anything like it in 20+ years of living in Florida. :rolleyes:

I was on the Mariner for the 7 turned 9 night hurricane cruise 09/04. We had a blast. Got to go to Labadee which of course isn't scheduled on the eastern route. I am a quasi-queasy person but wore the patch and had no problems (other than severe cottonmouth and little orphan annie eyes). As best I remember it only rained a short time one day. I won't say there was no movement, but the perfect storm it wasn't. The only bummer was that we had to come back into Miami instead of PC. Had to ride a bus back with Mario Andretti at the wheel. That was scarier than any hurricane. We are booked on SOS 9/23/05 and MOS 10/16/05.

Archived