Just back from the Denali tour today - June 25

rnewste

As this is our 1st trip to Alaska I obviously didn't do my homework well enough. When choosing our Princess land tour I had no idea we would be in Denali such a short time. And then at McKinley for 2 nights. I guess I really want to know if the NHT is so worthless we shouldn't bother getting up at 6am for it. Hopefully we'll see some bears at Pack Creek with Butch.

Skip it--yes or no? Any suggestions for our time at McKinley?

Thank you I've learned so much from you. Better late than never.

Since you've paid for it I would go. But if there is something else you wish to do, then check for availability perhaps??

As for the McKinley lodge- I would definately get into Talkeetna for a look around. Flightseeing is a top attraction here if of interest.

For clarification- the 8++ hours on Denali buses is the fastest 8+ hours you will ever experience. I go to Wonder Lake every chance I get and am never bored, endless views of paradise. :)

I really enjoy all the information and give-and-take there is on these boards. This thread has been an eye-opener.

I am on a tour in September and the TWT is included. I am not very optimistic about our chances of getting a refund if we drop it so taking the shuttle would be an extra (although not great) expense. If the shuttle is a superior experience, I would pay the difference, I just don't know. That's why I have several questions.

Would you recommend simply riding the shuttle non-stop to Fish Creek then turn around and go back or get off at the stops and look around and catch the next bus? Would that work or is there a chance the next bus might be full? Or is there any reason to get off (other than potty breaks) along the way if you aren't staying or hiking?

What does the reservation get you? A guaranteed seat on the bus from the WAC at your reserved time and nothing else?

Are the shuttle busses the same type as the tour busses? If not, is one type more comfirtable? I don't mind roughing it a little, but for 8+ hours, it could make a difference.

I think our tour hotel is either the Grande Denali Lodge or McKinley Village. How far are they from the WAC?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

I would only go the shuttle route, IF I were to get a full refund of the Tundra Wilderness tour. You've got a $74pp value that is too costly in my opinion to skip. :) (yep, I'm cheap) The buses are the SAME, just different colors, school bus bench seats, I don't know what the complaints are about frankly, they are cushioned. :)

Most people ride out to their destination and then get off on the way back - those who do get off the bus. A majority of the people stay on the same bus the round trip. At Fish Creek you probably will have 45 mins. before the bus heads back. If you do leave your bus, you just walk to the road the the first available with seats will pick you up. There are buses at least every half hour, but if you are between the entrance and Fish Creek, you also can be picked up by Wonder Lake, Kantishna (not the private buses) and camper buses if there is space. Going in Sept. IF you do get a refund, I would definately go to Wonder Lake if the timeframe allows.

The hotels should run shuttles to the visitor center, only a couple miles away.

We just returned home yesterday after the cruise and then land tour. We were in Denali Wed. and Thursday. We took the Natural History Tour, our guide was Mary Jane and WOW!!! She made the trip. At the Wilderness Visitor Center people were inside getting coffe (the power went out at the lodge and we had no water) about 5 of us were standing out by the busses and a red fox came right up and picked a squirrel out of the bushes. Then, he walked right towards us and watched for awhile (time for me to get a picture) then turned slowly and walked away!. We saw a lynx, a mother moose with twin babies, bald eagles, a bear and lots of squirrels. We had a blast!!!! We went at the 6:40 a.m. tour and were back at the lodge by ll:00 a.m.

From reading the descriptions of the shuttles versus the Tundra Wilderness Tour, it sounds like a key difference is the presence of a narrator on the TWT. Is this correct?

I followed guidance from others on CC and did get the credit from Princess for the NHT and am currently holding reservations (still refundable though) for the TWT. Our time in Denali will not allow us to take the Shuttle to Wonder Lake.

We recently did the short tour as my wife has some discomfort sitting for long periods and that is the tour that was part of our land portion. Nobody saw animals other than a moose and two calves that walked in front of the bus just as we endered the park. but some people on the longer tours have the same result. We went along with the shorter tour as we had visions of my wife being very uncomfortable and having only six more hours before she could get off the bus. My understanding is also that the drivers on shuttles are not required to give any commentary while the tour drivers keep talking almost the entire time. There were also some refreshments offered and a couple of stops...one for a tour of a cabin and another to hear from a tribal representative about life as a native Alaskan. If on my own,I would have gone as far as possible,but you have to plan these excursions based on the abilities of the least able (elderly,health impared,very young) member of your party.

From reading the descriptions of the shuttles versus the Tundra Wilderness Tour, it sounds like a key difference is the presence of a narrator on the TWT. Is this correct?

I followed guidance from others on CC and did get the credit from Princess for the NHT and am currently holding reservations (still refundable though) for the TWT. Our time in Denali will not allow us to take the Shuttle to Wonder Lake.

I have taken MANY shuttle buses into Denali Park, and never have I gone with a driver who didn't know Denali Park inside and out. :) I would never recommend anyone book INDEPENDENT the Tundra Wilderness tour that goes to the SAME mile as the Toklat shuttle, $74 vs $18.50 (without park fees). Also it isn't just the wildlife factor in getting farther into the park, significant and NOT TO BE MISSED is Polychrome Pass.

It is IMPORTANT to go with the tour options best for your needs, but the problems arise when people don't know the differences which I see as the majority, until they read these boards. As for sitting for long periods, that can be significant on the transit in Alaska. I do find it very hard to rationalize the time it takes to GET to Denali Park and only getting a 3 hour tour. Certainly, make tour choices for your priorities, and do your homework, the more you know the better for you travels. :)

Budget Queen,

Thank you so much for the answers on this thread and many others. Based on what I've read, I am inclined to stay with the TWT we have included in our land tour in September. We are traveling with 6 other people and trying to coordinate refunds mught be more trouble than it's worth.

From what you've said, we will have a very good experience and don't have to jump through any hoops to get it. If it were just my wife and me, I might pursue the refund and change over to the shuttle and go the whole way.

Thanks again for helping another person make an informed decision. That is one of the great things about this forum - it helps people get information to decide what is best for their particular circumstance.

Archived