Those "Chocolate" "mints" - Cutback

sailor44

The new "chocolates" are disgusting. No doubt that they have changed. They taste chalky and feel like plastic. Doesn't make any difference in my cruise but to those saying they are real or that they have not changed, hogwash! :cool:

...... drop the chocolates in a cup of room service coffee, add a shot of Bailey's or Kahula and enjoy it on your balcony......

:)

Now that's the best post in this whole thread! Solves the problem of mediocre chocolate and room service coffee. lol

The new "chocolates" are disgusting. No doubt that they have changed. They taste chalky and feel like plastic. Doesn't make any difference in my cruise but to those saying they are real or that they have not changed, hogwash! :cool:

Did not realize that there was "real" and "not-real" (or is it "unreal") chocolates.....disgusting.....hogwash....chalky:eek: You made my day.

Edited by jimbo5544

I'm still wondering which ship this was. I missed your review. And still wondering if this is the only cutback you noticed that you feel is worthy of mentioning.

The last ship we were on was Ecstasy and I didn't do a review.

This thread isn't really about cutbacks, just chocolate.

Sorry, I guess the word "cutback" in your thread title threw me...I thought it was about a cutback....a chocolate one obviously.

OMG ShakyBeef that's hilarious! Thank you for your very scientific work!:D

Anything for Science (and Cruise Critic).

ShakyBeef:

Does Bill Nye the Science Guy know about you?

HIlarious!:D

Know about me? He's on my speed dial.:cool: I tried to borrow his Bunsen burner and flasks and scientific whatnot to melt the so-called "chocolates" down and do an in-depth chemical analysis of the various sample pieces. Alas... he didn't answer his phone. So I had to proceed as best I could with my other, very scientific methods.

Anything for Science (and Cruise Critic).

Know about me? He's on my speed dial.:cool: I tried to borrow his Bunsen burner and flasks and scientific whatnot to melt the so-called "chocolates" down and do an in-depth chemical analysis of the various sample pieces. Alas... he didn't answer his phone. So I had to proceed as best I could with my other, very scientific methods.

We could always contact Mythbusters....

"is the chocolate on carnival cruise ships REAL chocolate?"

I disagree. I think the Chocolate Carnival leaves in your stateroom is delicious! I always love eating it and often take the chocolates of my family members. I'm not that picky, but I think that chocolate is fine. Besides is only a chocolate piece! Order room service if you're looking for delicious chocolate ;)

This thread reminds me of an episode of Friends where Monica Geller is given Mockolate to make desserts out of. Mockolate was a synthetic chocolate substitute.

Maybe those mints are made out of Mockolate. LOL

They are probably fake chocolate on the ship. You see this candy a lot during holidays like Easter. It says on the packaging chocolate FLAVORED candy thus not real chocolate like a Hershey bar and is less expensive.

Edited by BeachChik

Did not realize that there was "real" and "not-real" (or is it "unreal") chocolates.....disgusting.....hogwash....chalky:eek: You made my day.

Real chocolate = Hershey's, Godiva etc

Not real chocolate = candy label "chocolate flavored"

There is a noticible taste difference.

The hollow chocolate bunnies sold during Easter are usually "fake" chocolate.

Edited by BeachChik

Happy to brighten your day. Now I'll help to educate you as well. :)

There is "fake" chocolate and there is "real" chocolate. But you don't need to take my word for it, here are the words of Manfred Vock, a chocolate expert at International Flavors and Fragrances with more than 30 years in the field:

"There has been quite an improvement but you can still tell the difference between the real chocolate and the artificial."

Does that help? :)

Oh wait, I forgot......disgusting chalky fake chocolate

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm sorry, what part of that don't you understand? I'd be happy to explain in very simple terms for you. :)

Fake chocolate? Hardly. Seems to be Carnival even uses dark Belgian chocolate in the warm chocolate melting cake.

Not quite sure how people who don't cruise on Carnival would know? Perhaps via a friend of a cousin of an adopted .... ????

:rolleyes: First of all this has nothing to do with the WCMC and secondly, I have been on 8 Carnival cruises spanning about 10 years and I am relating my own personal experience. The chocolates have changed. They now have an artificial flavor. On my first few cruises I loved them. I won't eat them any more.

Fake chocolate? Hardly. Seems to be Carnival even uses dark Belgian chocolate in the warm chocolate melting cake.

Not quite sure how people who don't cruise on Carnival would know? Perhaps via a friend of a cousin of an adopted .... ????

I have been to 2 chef table , an in the kitchen when they make the melting cake they never said anything about Belgian dark chocolate . But you MR. S.S know everything that goes on every Carnival cruise line ships. I still think you are my hero.

There are foods I used to hate that I now like and vice versa. The food didn't change. Did I? Hmmm.

Relax, Sarge.:) It seems as if you're taking personal offense to the fact of others noticing a change in the 'chocolate' candies. They changed (scientifically collected data confirms this:cool:). People noticed. Most tend to agree that they changed for the worse. But we're not attacking Carnival or you. It's OK, really.:o

relax, sarge.:) it seems as if you're taking personal offense to the fact of others noticing a change in the 'chocolate' candies. They changed (scientifically collected data confirms this:cool:). People noticed. Most tend to agree that they changed for the worse. But we're not attacking carnival or you. It's ok, really.:o

<snicker>

:D

Edited by celticd1

I have been to 2 chef table , an in the kitchen when they make the melting cake they never said anything about Belgian dark chocolate . But you MR. S.S know everything that goes on every Carnival cruise line ships. I still think you are my hero.

Perhaps on your next chef table ask?

"DEBBIE IN LOUISIANA – You asked what black chocolate is Debbie in reference to the recipe for the WCMC. I checked with the chef and it refers to Dark instead of Milk chocolate that’s all and he recommends a good brand. We use a Belgian brand called LINDT which, as so many of you have testified to, tastes amazing. Let me know how yours turns out. …………….bon appetit

"

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2007/08/03/highlighting-the-carnival-spirit-and-cruise-director-shawn-bussey/

I'm sorry, what part of that don't you understand? I'd be happy to explain in very simple terms for you. :)

No that's OK, don't want you to strain on my account. I totally got it. Disgusting, chalky, fake chocolates in imitation wrappers sitting on a diluted Fun Times that was much better when it was Carnival Capers next to a poorly made towel animal...;)

perhaps on your next chef table ask?

"debbie in louisiana – you asked what black chocolate is debbie in reference to the recipe for the wcmc. I checked with the chef and it refers to dark instead of milk chocolate that’s all and he recommends a good brand. We use a belgian brand called lindt which, as so many of you have testified to, tastes amazing. Let me know how yours turns out. …………….bon appetit

"

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2007/08/03/highlighting-the-carnival-spirit-and-cruise-director-shawn-bussey/

you are the man