My Review: Scandinavia and Russia on the Eclipse - May/June 2013

• 2 weeks later...
The only thing I wish I had known was when the Vasa Museum was open -- I thought it opened earlier.

As far as what i would do differently -- just small things. I might have gotten some currency in Rubles before we left to grab a snack from a vendor. I also would probably have done select dining. I felt that the late seating we had was too late and the early too early. Especially given all the time changes during the time (3 one hour changes as we sailed east, then 3 as we sailed back).

The weather turned out much warmer than we thought -- my husband wishes he brought walking sandals for the warm days in the ports on the end of the trip. But we did a good job packing layers (and needed them for the first week of the trip). We figured we would send out some laundry, and were pleased that we only had to send out a few small things.

One more tip that was so helpful -- I read on cruise critic to pack some sandwich bags to bring snacks in port. We used them to grab dry cereal, nuts and dried fruit, or a muffin to stash in our backpacks and was very helpful for long port days where you might not be in a location to grab something to eat when you need it.

Interesting because at almost every port we stopped at we were told that local laws did not allow us to bring any food off of the ship (I had dried bananas in my purse anyway).

Great review! Thanks so much for taking the time to post all of the details.

We are considering either Eclipse or Connie for next June. I'm concerned about the high prices for AQ right now and also what I perceive as expensive excursion costs in the Baltics. Can you give a rough estimate of what you paid in total for your excursions/transport passes?

Interesting because at almost every port we stopped at we were told that local laws did not allow us to bring any food off of the ship (I had dried bananas in my purse anyway).

Yes, we were told that too - but didn't have a problem.

Great review! Thanks so much for taking the time to post all of the details.

We are considering either Eclipse or Connie for next June. I'm concerned about the high prices for AQ right now and also what I perceive as expensive excursion costs in the Baltics. Can you give a rough estimate of what you paid in total for your excursions/transport passes?

Here's what I recall - note we did as much a possible on our own.

Bruges: we split a taxi to and from town with another couple from our roll call. It was 100 euros total - we paid 50 for our half.

Berlin: our excursion with SPB was 105 euros per person, plus tip for the guide and driver (they recommend 10 percent and 5 percent, respectively)

Stockholm: we bought the Stockholm card ahead of time (covered transport and entrance to most sights) -total for 2 with shipping and tax was about 160 in USD (they charged in Swedish kronor)

Helsinki: all day transit passes were 8 euros, only other thing we paid for was the Olympic stadium tower (5 euros each)

St. Petersburg: 300 USD per person plus tips for the two day deluxe tour (seemed expensive at first but totally worth it), and it included lunch both days

Tallinn: walked to town from ship, may have paid a few euros at a sight or two but minor expenses

Copenhagen: bought Copenhagen cards in advance -92 euros including shipping. Also grabbed lunch and snacks which were pretty expensive, but card covered transport and all the sights we saw (other than a photo pass at Rosenborg/Amalienborg).

The only thing I wish I had known was when the Vasa Museum was open -- I thought it opened earlier.

As far as what i would do differently -- just small things. I might have gotten some currency in Rubles before we left to grab a snack from a vendor. I also would probably have done select dining. I felt that the late seating we had was too late and the early too early. Especially given all the time changes during the time (3 one hour changes as we sailed east, then 3 as we sailed back).

The weather turned out much warmer than we thought -- my husband wishes he brought walking sandals for the warm days in the ports on the end of the trip. But we did a good job packing layers (and needed them for the first week of the trip). We figured we would send out some laundry, and were pleased that we only had to send out a few small things.

One more tip that was so helpful -- I read on cruise critic to pack some sandwich bags to bring snacks in port. We used them to grab dry cereal, nuts and dried fruit, or a muffin to stash in our backpacks and was very helpful for long port days where you might not be in a location to grab something to eat when you need it.

Thanks for replying to my questions with this helpful info. We opted for select dining when we booked the trip, for all the reasons you mention above.

Here's what I recall - note we did as much a possible on our own.

Bruges: we split a taxi to and from town with another couple from our roll call. It was 100 euros total - we paid 50 for our half.

Berlin: our excursion with SPB was 105 euros per person, plus tip for the guide and driver (they recommend 10 percent and 5 percent, respectively)

Stockholm: we bought the Stockholm card ahead of time (covered transport and entrance to most sights) -total for 2 with shipping and tax was about 160 in USD (they charged in Swedish kronor)

Helsinki: all day transit passes were 8 euros, only other thing we paid for was the Olympic stadium tower (5 euros each)

St. Petersburg: 300 USD per person plus tips for the two day deluxe tour (seemed expensive at first but totally worth it), and it included lunch both days

Tallinn: walked to town from ship, may have paid a few euros at a sight or two but minor expenses

Copenhagen: bought Copenhagen cards in advance -92 euros including shipping. Also grabbed lunch and snacks which were pretty expensive, but card covered transport and all the sights we saw (other than a photo pass at Rosenborg/Amalienborg).

Thanks, Beth. That info is extremely helpful to me as I comparison 'shop'. So glad you had a great time!

I just stumbled upon this post and glad I did. Thank you so much for your detailed experiences in each port. We are leaving for the same itinerary on the Eclipse in August.

I have a question about the Helsinki trams and timing. You mention you took Tram 9 all the way to Kampintori then walked to the Rock Church. So, you did NOT change trams at the Central Rail Statin for the Tram 3T to get to the Rock Church? And if you did walk from Kampintori, how far is it and how long do you think it would take if we were to walk leisurely? Signs for the Church and the Stadium well marked when walking from the tram stop?

Is there an advantage to taking the Tram 4 from Oopera to the Senaatintori over the Tram 3B? Are the stops near each other at Oopera?

Also, it sounds like you visited 3 places prior to lunch including the Suomenlinna. How long did it take you to get from one destination to the other using public transportation?

O, and did the ticket machine for the 1-day transit pass accept U.S. type credit card (magnetic strip or Chip and signature?) or did you pay with Euros?

Apologies for all of the questions but Helsinki is the only port in which I am nervous doing on our own. Thanks in advance.

I just stumbled upon this post and glad I did. Thank you so much for your detailed experiences in each port. We are leaving for the same itinerary on the Eclipse in August.

I have a question about the Helsinki trams and timing. You mention you took Tram 9 all the way to Kampintori then walked to the Rock Church. So, you did NOT change trams at the Central Rail Statin for the Tram 3T to get to the Rock Church? And if you did walk from Kampintori, how far is it and how long do you think it would take if we were to walk leisurely? Signs for the Church and the Stadium well marked when walking from the tram stop?

Is there an advantage to taking the Tram 4 from Oopera to the Senaatintori over the Tram 3B? Are the stops near each other at Oopera?

Also, it sounds like you visited 3 places prior to lunch including the Suomenlinna. How long did it take you to get from one destination to the other using public transportation?

O, and did the ticket machine for the 1-day transit pass accept U.S. type credit card (magnetic strip or Chip and signature?) or did you pay with Euros?

Apologies for all of the questions but Helsinki is the only port in which I am nervous doing on our own. Thanks in advance.

Trying to remember all the details, so I am not 100% sure - but I think we took the tram to Kampintori and then walked to the Rock Church (looking at a map it was only a 8-10 minute walk). If I recall, it is uphill, but wasn't particularly strenuous that I remember. You can't miss the church, there are tons of people and it was at the end of that street. After the church, we walked around the corner to the 3T tram to get to the stadium, only another short walk to the tower.

I don't remember why we took Tram 4 instead of Tram 3B (it may have come more quickly and been going to the same place). I think the stops were the same for all the trams (and they had signs indicating which was which), so I think the stops were the same for 4 and 3B.

We did have lunch pretty late that day at the market, but that is right by the ferry to Suomenlinna, so you can switch those. Once we got to Senate Square, everything was within a few blocks of each other.

We paid for the transit pass with our US-based credit card with a chip - no problem. One color machine takes credit and one doesn't - we saw people in front of us at the machine with credit cards.

We got a little turned around on our way back to the ship after deciding to enjoy the nice weather and head back to the ship, but made our way back on the tram without too much problem. It was not that hard. If you are concerned, Celebrity sold tickets to the shuttle that I believe dropped off and picked up in Senate Square -- but that would be far from the Rock Church and Olympic Stadium area.

Hope that helps!

Thanks a bunch for posting some very interesting details.

Our Baltic cruise on Constellation is a bit different, sailing from Amsterdam on Aug. 12 (only 2 more weeks until we leave), but we also have SPb for Berlin and St. P, so glad to hear those went well.

We enjoyed Eclipse for 2 weeks going to southern Caribbean in April, so wanted to try the "Connie", which is also much less expensive on this itinerary.

Happy to hear about the ports, how you got in all the walking, which is really nice when you're young. I'm only about twice as old as you, but seem to find the transportation needed to get me around, take elevators now too, but once in awhile forget my pain meds, walk too much and then relax for a few days to make up for it. At least my time is my own now, as we're both retired.

PS - If you've not been on a Med cruise, we highly recommend one that takes you to places like Rome, Naples, Santorini, Athens, Venice, etc. It seemed to be too much to see when we had it all organized, but was one of our most enjoyed cruises so far. Connie said that seeing David, by Michelangelo in Florence & the Sistine Chapel in Rome made it worth the trip. South Pacific & Hawaii was a great cruise too, in fact don't think we've been on any cruise we didn't enjoy.

“There's no thrill in easy sailing when the skies are clear and blue, there's no joy in merely doing things which any one can do.

But there is some satisfaction that is mighty sweet to take,

when you reach a destination that you never thought you'd make”

Stockholm

We saw the Riddarholmen Church, and then made our way to the Royal Palace, Royal Armory, and Royal Treas ...

Was there anything going on at the Palace, like maybe changing of the guards around noon? :confused: I want to make sure to see this.

On a tour in London we were told the changing of the guard is not a big deal, but maybe we could see it from the bus and did see some riders on horseback, but the bus had to move out of the way, so we missed the actual ceremony.

Guess we'll need to take some kind of a bus to get to the Palace from ship?

"Watching the Changing of the Royal Guard in Stockholm is a really great experience - and it's on of the top 10 free things in Stockholm! Let's find out more about this popular event at the Royal Palace in Sweden's capital.

The Royal Guard (part of the Swedish Armed Forces) consists of around 30,000 guards. Watching this free 40-minute event of the changing of the guard in front of the King of Sweden's residence is very interesting. So when does the change of guards take place? May - August: The changing of the guard can be witnessed with a Military Band daily at 1215 hours (Sundays and holidays at 1315 hours). In the summer season, you may even see guards on horses approaching Stockholm's Royal Palace (especially in May)!"

Thanks a bunch for posting some very interesting details.

Our Baltic cruise on Constellation is a bit different, sailing from Amsterdam on Aug. 12 (only 2 more weeks until we leave), but we also have SPb for Berlin and St. P, so glad to hear those went well.

We enjoyed Eclipse for 2 weeks going to southern Caribbean in April, so wanted to try the "Connie", which is also much less expensive on this itinerary.

Happy to hear about the ports, how you got in all the walking, which is really nice when you're young. I'm only about twice as old as you, but seem to find the transportation needed to get me around, take elevators now too, but once in awhile forget my pain meds, walk too much and then relax for a few days to make up for it. At least my time is my own now, as we're both retired.

PS - If you've not been on a Med cruise, we highly recommend one that takes you to places like Rome, Naples, Santorini, Athens, Venice, etc. It seemed to be too much to see when we had it all organized, but was one of our most enjoyed cruises so far. Connie said that seeing David, by Michelangelo in Florence & the Sistine Chapel in Rome made it worth the trip. South Pacific & Hawaii was a great cruise too, in fact don't think we've been on any cruise we didn't enjoy.

“There's no thrill in easy sailing when the skies are clear and blue, there's no joy in merely doing things which any one can do.

But there is some satisfaction that is mighty sweet to take,

when you reach a destination that you never thought you'd make”

Thanks! We just booked an 11-night on Silhouette from Rome to Venice next summer. Can't wait!

Here are a few more answers to these questions. You should also note that tram 3T will be renamed to 2 starting August 12th (3B will become 3).

As for the walk from Kampintori to Rock Church, it is about 600 meters with the last third being uphill. You can also catch the tram 2 from around the corner from Kampintori for one stop to save you two thirds of the walk.

From Ooppera to Senaatintori trams 2 (3T), 4, 4T and 7B will take you there. 2 takes a bit longer route than the other ones. Tram 10 is the only line stopping at the same stop that will not go where you want to.

The ticket machines at West Terminal do not accept magnetic stripe credit cards. There is however an ATM inside the terminal building right next to the stop. The blue ticket machines accept credit cards with a chip as well as Euro coins and banknotes. It will give you change only in coins and might have a maximum of around 20 e on the change it will give back so do not pay your day ticket with a 50 e note. ATMs in Finland give you 20s and 50s. The pink machine accepts coins only.

For more info on Helsinki I would recommend the Helsinki thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1606720

Great review! Thank you!

Could you tell me what currency (s) you used in ports? I do have some rubles for St Petersburg but wonder if Euros or USD were sufficent in the others.

I think Sweden and Denmark are the only other countries with their own currencies. We did not have SEK in Stockholm (we had the Stockholm card and charged everything else on our credit card). We got some Danish kronor on the ship, but probably would have been fine without (again we had the Copenhagen card).

thank you for your excellent review :)

which gives me a better idea of what to expect -

one thing is certain, i'll be exhausted most of the time:eek:

but thoroughly thrilled also !;)

altho we are going on a different ship next may,

several of the ports are the same - we already

have a super thread going for the TA & baltics

w/ many of us booked w/ alla tours !

Archived