Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer - Celebrity Solstice JU94

warrior13

Has anyone sailing the Solstice been on this excursion this season?

I am interested to know where you disembark from the catamaran. Do you re-board the Solstice or does the catamaran dock in Juneau and you go on your way from there?

Also, how was the excursion?

I can only comment on this excursion from princess. We loaded from the ship, and when we returned to Juneau we docked back onto the ship, not the dock.

Well worth it IMHO, yes its a long time to be on the smaller boat, but the views and closeness to the cliffs, ice makes it worthwhile!

We did this excursion through Holland America; the vendor is Allen Marine, a very reputable family company based out of Sitka. They do lots and lots of the cruise line excursions. Here are some photos from our day with them, going to the North Sawyer glacier. You can click on the photos for a larger picture.

http://twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/tracy-arm-juneau-glorious/

• 2 months later...

I just got back from a cruise on Celebrity Solstice, and took this excursion. The excursion was great. But we arrived back in Juneau and reattached to the ship. We had to go thru security again, which was annoying. There was nothing except some food to buy on the excursion. No knives or anything. So the slow security line was annoying. And then we went straight to Entertainment Court on Deck 4 to get tender tickets and got #44. So annoying. We couldn't get off in Juneau till 3:30.

No matter what cruise line, Allen Marine is the ONLY vendor who does this add on tour. Many including myself have taken it. I highly recommend it and find it a "necessary" tour as it is grossly superior compared to the ship transit. I have done this several times.

• 3 weeks later...

Also was on the Solstice in September, the excursion turned out for as an photographer's dream, with my big lens the boat was a very stable platform, something I didn't think of when went on the bow of a small boat for whale watching late. The weather was beanie and gloves if you stay outside. The glaciers were calving, Bright blue, lots of sea lions and the whales came right up to the boat. The best excursion we did. We had to do the tender thing, but there is a secret that shouldn't be. There was a shore excursion person on board who was the last off the boat she took everyone who waited straight to the tender boat and they left immediately. We complained to the desk and were told to go right down and show our excursion Sticker and we were allowed to by pass the line.

Some pics https://picasaweb.google.com/105510595735921456201/Alaska2013?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMLnqpap6_2OtgE&feat=directlink

John

Great pictures! We are thinking of booking this excursion and I have some questions please for anyone who has taken it. Can I ask what time you left the Solstice for the excursion and which part of TAF did your excursion start at? I understand the Solstice enters the Fjord quite early in the morning, and hoping to catch some views from our balcony before the excursion. Also where did you meet for the excursion and did you have to wait long there before boarding the Allen Marine vessel? Does the catamaran pull up alongside the Solstice and was it easy to board the vessel? What time did you return to Juneau? Thanks for any answers.

We were met in front of the glacier and board when the ship began its turn to go back. We then went up to the glacier for an closer look. We arrived back in Juneau maybe a half hour after the ship arrived. We lost time due to the whales who came to check out the boat.

John

I can only comment on this excursion from princess. We loaded from the ship, and when we returned to Juneau we docked back onto the ship, not the dock.

Well worth it IMHO, yes its a long time to be on the smaller boat, but the views and closeness to the cliffs, ice makes it worthwhile!

If you don't mind me asking, what Princess ship has this excursion?

Archived