Oct in Mykono-should I choose Ano Mero Monastery or take shuttle to town?

Erin Dreamer

On October 15, 2013, Celebrity's Constellation will be in Mykonos. There are only two excursions offered: trip to Delos (too much walking for me) or Ano Mera Monastery with Scenic Island Drive. It seems strange that there are only two choices. I am wondering if it would be good to take the scenic drive and visit the monastery or if it would be enjoyable to take a shuttle into town and have a leisurely visit. I have not been to Mykonos before so am not certain what is in town. Also, are there shuttle stops in town where you can easily get back to the boat? Thank you for any help as I am trying to book any planned excursions. Because I have some mobility issues I book early.

If your ship docks, there is a local shuttle from the pier to a parking lot at the edge of Mykonos town. From there, it's a short walk into the main part of town, maybe 10 minutes or so.

Wandering in Mykonos town is an easy and relaxing day. There would still be walking, although there are places to stop and rest and enjoy the surroundings. It's a beautiful little town with shops, cafes and winding pedestrian lanes, as well as the iconic windmills on the hill that one sees in many photos of the island.

If your ship tenders passengers ashore, the tender dock is the fishing and ferry boat harbor in the middle of town.

I agree that a visit to Delos does involve considerable walking, part of which is an optional route uphill and back. The paths are a little rocky in some areas. There is very little shade.

I haven't been to the monastery so can't give you any info. Perhaps others here can let you know what that is like.

Edited by Chloe1500

On October 15, 2013, Celebrity's Constellation will be in Mykonos. There are only two excursions offered: trip to Delos (too much walking for me) or Ano Mera Monastery with Scenic Island Drive. It seems strange that there are only two choices. I am wondering if it would be good to take the scenic drive and visit the monastery or if it would be enjoyable to take a shuttle into town and have a leisurely visit. I have not been to Mykonos before so am not certain what is in town. Also, are there shuttle stops in town where you can easily get back to the boat? Thank you for any help as I am trying to book any planned excursions. Because I have some mobility issues I book early.

The Ano Mera monastery is small and very nice. The ride around the island would be very interesting, it would give you a different perspective of Mykonos and there are beautiful landscapes. BUT, it really depends on how much time you have on the island. If the tour is a couple of hours and you have plenty of time to visit the town, then do it. If not, skip the tour and spend your time in town. The town comes first; the tour is a nice second.

Two weeks ago we had planned to do the island drive excursion but cancelled and decided to do a DIY around town. Not sure what we missed but were happy we made the change. Just wandering in Mykonos was very enjoyable. Link to pictures below.

http://markandkareneurope2013.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

Looks like a great day! Thanks for sharing the pics. Did you stop to eat anywhere? Buy anything? We'll be there in August...

We did stop to eat. I had Greek Salad and fried fish. It was not in LIttle Venice but on a back street. I don't remember the name. The only shopping we did was for hand made jewelery. Nothing expensive.

Thank you, Chloe1500, Marazul, and mskaufman for your very helpful replies. It does sound as if it might be delightful to have some leisurely time in town. I could rest at a café. I have one more question. Is there an obvious place in town where you can pick the trolley up to return to the port? perhaps the same place they drop people off?

Thank you, Jan

Thank you, Chloe1500, Marazul, and mskaufman for your very helpful replies. It does sound as if it might be delightful to have some leisurely time in town. I could rest at a café. I have one more question. Is there an obvious place in town where you can pick the trolley up to return to the port? perhaps the same place they drop people off?

Thank you, Jan

You are welcome!

It is the same parking lot on the edge of town to pick up the shuttle bus, the same spot as the drop off.

Edited by Chloe1500

• 6 months later...
Two weeks ago we had planned to do the island drive excursion but cancelled and decided to do a DIY around town. Not sure what we missed but were happy we made the change. Just wandering in Mykonos was very enjoyable. Link to pictures below.

http://markandkareneurope2013.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

Your pictures of Mykonos are wonderful. Could you tell me where the ruins were...they started around the 90th picture. Thanks.

Pat

• 4 weeks later...
Your pictures of Mykonos are wonderful. Could you tell me where the ruins were...they started around the 90th picture. Thanks.

Pat

Wondering the same thing. I assumed it was Delos but it doesn't sound like they went there?