Walking around Reykjavik?

I'd like to hear from anyone who has been to Reykjavik. I'd like to know what there is to see in the city itself and if it is something I can do on my own? I don't want to take any of the bus excursions and would prefer to do a walking tour, but I don't see one offered. I can't find a tourist walking map either. Any information is appreicated.

Thank you

There is a tourist information center in the harbor area. The official tourist website gives info.

A few doors down from the TI is a museum called Reykjavik 871 +- 2 The Settlement Exhibition, which is an excavation of a Viking-era longhouse

City Hall is nearby, with a nice pond full of birds. Harpa Concert Hall is right on the harbor; when we were there, it had an interesting exhibit of decorative furniture. There are a couple of art museums along the harbor, as well as Baejarins Beztu Pylsur, a famous hot dog stand (Icelanders love hot dogs).

Hallgrimskirkja Church is up a pretty good hill, and a main shopping street stretches from the church back to the harbor area.

We also really liked the National Museum of Iceland.

Also, apparently there is a free walking tour at 1:00 every day in the summer.

The church is a great visit. Free to enter, cheap to take the elevator up to the bell tower for an amazing panoramic view of the city.

Some folks like to visit this museum, you can get unique gifts in their shop!

It's a great walking city, wouldn't take you half a day to see it all.

It's a great walking city, wouldn't take you half a day to see it all.

I agree. It won’t take long to walk to all the major sights. Here’s a map. http://www.reykjavikcentermap.com/

After your walking tour, I would consider going outside the city to get a fuller sense of Iceland. The Visitor Center is on a main street downtown. Go there to check out some options. Afterward, walk around the corner to Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur and buy one of its famous hot dogs with everything on it.

Thank you all for the information. I'd like to leave the city too but in talking to several private tour companies, I am finding that there are long stretches of driving involved and I just don't enjoy that. The Golden Circle tour that I considered includes 60 min drive to get to one place and then 90 min to the next and they said part of it is on winding roads. I'm sure it's very beautiful and I wish I could do it, but I get very motion sick in cars so I just don't think I'd enjoy that. If anyone can suggest something a little closer to the city that I could do by hiring a private tour company, I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you all

I'm sure it's very beautiful and I wish I could do it, but I get very motion sick in cars so I just don't think I'd enjoy that. If anyone can suggest something a little closer to the city that I could do by hiring a private tour company, I'm open to suggestions.

We were in port from noon until 11:00 p.m. Upon exiting the ship, probably about 1:00 p.m., we took the free shuttle into central Reykjavik and walked a few blocks to meet the HOHO bus. After an hour of waiting for a bus that never arrived, we went across the street to the Gray Line office, picked up some maps, and began a walking tour.

Three or so hours later, after seeing all we wanted to see, we returned to the Gray Line office and purchased tickets to the Blue Lagoon (transportation only, 50 minutes each way on straight roads). The mini-bus departed from a parking lot directly across from the Gray Line office and a half-block away from Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur, the famous hot dog stand where we sampled Iceland’s national food.

Blue Lagoon Costs Per Person

$30 Gray Line bus ticket (round-trip transportation only)

$50 Blue Lagoon swimming pass (40€)

For this same excursion, Royal Caribbean wanted $119, almost $40 more per person. For those who prefer not to swim, like us, it's possible to purchase a viewing pass for only 10€ per person, about $13 each, which brings the cost down even more.

Gray Line offers several departure and pickup times throughout the day, so you may stay at Blue Lagoon for as little as 30 minutes or as long as six hours. I believe my husband and I took the 6:15 bus out and the 9:00 bus back, something like that, which gave us plenty of time to walk around, have a drink, and browse in the shop. The bus driver returned us directly to the pier—with an hour to spare for souvenir shopping in the cruise terminal. Iceland has very luxurious woolen goods, expensive but nice. They’re worth a look.

We had a great day, not the one I originally planned, but much better.

The roads from Reykjavik to the Golden Circle are no more winding than any country roads. Much less windy than Norway, for instance. Wear a patch or the bracelets or take some Bonine or similar. DO NOT MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY because you fear getting carsick!

Thanks Editrix,

That's a good idea. I'm going to look into the Blue Lagoon. I'm also in touch with a couple of private tour guides so maybe we can work something out as well.

Archived