First cruise

This is me and my Fiancé's first cruise it is for our honeymoon in oct :) we are sailing on The Fantasy 10/6/13 out of Charleston. I was wondering how often the upgrade fairy likes to surprise people or just give an upgrade forno reason or does this never happen? My Fiancé wants to to call and ask the cruise line but I am not comfortable doing that and is that a big no no? Thank you in advance for the answers

I can't say never, but from reading the boards (probably too much ;)) it seems that if anything is ever offered, it's a paid upgrade. It might be a deal or it might not ... you'll just have to stay on top of your sailing's current prices.

The Carnival sales reps seem to call at random. I got one of these coveted calls, but missed it. The magical woman in the voicemail was offering us an upgrade from a PT to an ocean view for $200 total. It was slightly cheaper than posted prices, but not by much. Did not take it.

Good luck and have fun on your sailing!

PS - it's a free country :D. If he wants to call and ask about any upgrade opportunities, it can't hurt. The worst they can say is no.

Thank you!! That is what he told me the only thing they can say is no. We are so excited and have a room with a porthole so that will be nice to have a window to see out the only bad thing about it is there isn't that option to book a room like ours so we haven't been able to look for price drops

In 25 cruises, I have never once received a free upgrade from Carnival.

Calling is a waste of time. I once called the upSELL fairy and all he could do for me was try and sell me a full priced upgrade.

Dont bother is my advice... I had stars in my eyes about upgrades when I first cruised, now I think it pretty much never happens.. calling?? the person you are talking to doesnt have the authority to offer you a free upgrade, or even a discounted one.

My advice is to watch prices and call if they drop and upgrade yourself that way. Or book a gty, you have a good chance of a free upgrade to a higher but similar type cabin.

What is a gty?

That is a guaranteed cabin in that category but Carnival will assign. You don't know where that will be until closer to sail date. If you price match to that then you give up Early Saver program and your current cabin.

Gty is a guarantee. Basically, you book a room category (inside, ocean view, balcony), but aren't assigned a cabin until boarding. Firefly is right that you have a better chance at upgrades this way, you just don't get to choose your cabin.

Guarantees are typically the cheapest rates.

That is a guaranteed cabin in that category but Carnival will assign. You don't know where that will be until closer to sail date. If you price match to that then you give up Early Saver program and your current cabin.

You can only price match to the category you booked per the rules. Carnival gave in for a while and allowed you to do this after saying no no no.. but is back to enforcing the rules.

You can no longer price match to a lower category .. well 90% of the time. Rule enforcement has never been carnival's strongest point.

I just went on Carnivals website and it looks like there aren't anymore forward interior rooms available for me to price match 2 :(

You're correct...I already checked for you. I did mock bookings for 2, 3, and 4 pax to see.. and they are all booked. But, that's not to say anytime someone may move to an ocean view or something. So, you have to just keep checking. :)

I just went on Carnivals website and it looks like there aren't anymore forward interior rooms available for me to price match 2 :(

It does not matter where the cabin is located.

You need to price match to YOUR category... like you could be a 4B.. forward on main deck .. or a 4B mid deck riveria deck.

You need to know what category you booked.

If you are a PT they are on quite a few decks on fantasy class for instance. You dont care where they are.. just what category they are.

You're correct...I already checked for you. I did mock bookings for 2, 3, and 4 pax to see.. and they are all booked. But, that's not to say anytime someone may move to an ocean view or something. So, you have to just keep checking. :)

So if I go on and look and an ocean view is less per person then what we paid for our port hole does that count?

You can't match to the super saver, that's like a GTY since you can't choose the cabin. You can match to past guest only if someone booked in the cabin is actually a past guest. So, no it doesn't have to just be ES but you have to fit the qualifications for the advertised sale.. like senior sale, you must be a senior or past guest, you must be past guest. Then you can match to that.

You can't match to the super saver, that's like a GTY since you can't choose the cabin. You can match to past guest only if someone booked in the cabin is actually a past guest. So, no it doesn't have to just be ES but you have to fit the qualifications for the advertised sale.. like senior sale, you must be a senior or past guest, you must be past guest. Then you can match to that.

Ok I am pretty sure we booked early saver and I picked our room I will keep my eyes open and look for a lower price I know looking now the price above early saver is what we paid for our room

Archived