La Casa en La Playa - A Select Retreat

Reese1203

Hello, just checking if there were any more thoughts/reviews/updates on this.

It's -7 in Ohio right now so I am sure this will be more than nice to us! We are leaving in less than 2 weeks and this popped up on the excursion list so I snatched it up and dumped Passion Island. I know it's about twice the price, but it just seems so much more relaxing. Hoping it's great and to hear more feedback! If not I'll be sure to post a review.

Oh and it was $119 just now by the way.

• 3 weeks later...
Is it possible to book this through the resort directly and cut out the cruise ship altogether? Anyone have any ideas on this? If so, please let me know of the resort company name if possible and/or website.

Any advice appreciated!!

According to the owners, or at least managers, it is only available to Carnival customers booked through Carnival.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise on Sunday Feb 9th. Our time at La Casa en La Playa was the highlight of our cruise. I have seen several posts about it being a little higher in cost but let me assure you that it was worth every bit of it! Only about a 15 min van ride from the port. Not only is it beautiful, it is private with only a small group of people. We had three kids with us ages 10-13. Juan Carlos, the director was AMAZING!!!! He personally took charge of the boys so we could relax. He took them snorkeling, kayaking, played volleyball and football with them on the beach. Javier and Marcial catered to us all day. The chef is outstanding. We were served appetizers on the beach, chips, salsa, guac. For lunch we had the choice of two different grilled fish plates, quesadillas, beef or chicken tacos, fajitas, and skirt steak. Very good! There are lounge areas in full sun, partial sun or full shade. There are plenty of hammocks to rest in. Our bartender and waiters served us drinks the entire time. We had a guacamole class given by the chef right there on the beach. Awesome snorkeling just 30 ft from the beach area. Our group had 7 people and we all said this was the best resort we have ever been too! I could not possibly compliment the staff there enough for their excellent service and experience. I will return there and would love more time!!! We had about 5 hrs there.

We just returned from our cruise on Sunday Feb 9th. Our time at La Casa en La Playa was the highlight of our cruise. I have seen several posts about it being a little higher in cost but let me assure you that it was worth every bit of it! Only about a 15 min van ride from the port. Not only is it beautiful, it is private with only a small group of people. We had three kids with us ages 10-13. Juan Carlos, the director was AMAZING!!!! He personally took charge of the boys so we could relax. He took them snorkeling, kayaking, played volleyball and football with them on the beach. Javier and Marcial catered to us all day. The chef is outstanding. We were served appetizers on the beach, chips, salsa, guac. For lunch we had the choice of two different grilled fish plates, quesadillas, beef or chicken tacos, fajitas, and skirt steak. Very good! There are lounge areas in full sun, partial sun or full shade. There are plenty of hammocks to rest in. Our bartender and waiters served us drinks the entire time. We had a guacamole class given by the chef right there on the beach. Awesome snorkeling just 30 ft from the beach area. Our group had 7 people and we all said this was the best resort we have ever been too! I could not possibly compliment the staff there enough for their excellent service and experience. I will return there and would love more time!!! We had about 5 hrs there.

Thanks for the great review! I can't wait to go!

• 3 weeks later...

WE just got off the ship and I was posting reviews about this place. Thought since you all were asking, you might like my review:

A great way to relax and be pampered!!

We have been to Cozumel many times and have visited various beach resorts and areas where you pay one price and food, drinks, beach are all included. We were looking for something a little more "upscale" and private and this excursion fit the bill. We were greeted by Alexis warmly, given a sticker and shown to a shady spot at the port while we waited for others from our ship to gather, the tour promised a small, intimate group and there were 28 of us in all, really a perfect group. It was myself and my husband, both early 50s. Shown to vans in groups of 6, we were quickly at the hacienda and being introduced to our hosts for the day. There were a chef, our bartender, a couple of waiters and Alexis, plus a massage (extra charge) if we wanted one. Everything else was included, from the welcome freshly squeezed lemonade, they had thought of everything! Towels were provided, lounge chairs, hammocks, comfy outdoor beds, the house was simple but very clean and nicely furnished, two bathrooms inside and two out, both spotless with soap and towels. Forget your water shoes, no problem, they were provided, snorkel gear and floats also. A small pool for cooling off overlooked the beach, (which is private) and you could pick shade or sun for your day of relaxing. Drinks in hand we were then given choices of the menu of the day, fajitas, tacos, mexican baked grouper, all very good, plus freshly cooked corn chips with fresh made salsa and guacamole (so tasty). We are asked when we would like our lunch served and there are tables set up outside under shade for your dining pleasure. The only thing we felt that was lacking was there was really no music, we would have really enjoyed hearing some nice background tunes to relax by. My only other complaint (and I guess seeing the Rocky Shores in the name should have tipped me off, there are a lot of rocks and coral at the entrance to get into the water (thus the water shoes) but it was very, very uneven and hard to get in and out of the water. Once you were out in deeper water it was better, but it was a little hard to navigate. Highly recommend the tour for a couple or some friends wanting to just do nothing but relax and be pampered, but please note this about the beach area.

We had a great time, but I did think it was a little overpriced for Mexico but, since it was kept to a small group and the service was so good, we were happy to have the day of R&R.

Elaine

Thanks for the review! I'll be there on Wednesday and can't wait to check it out for myself. I noticed there's a rather negative review of the property on the Carnival excursion site from a very displeased customer. Their accounts of what happened on that day are polar opposites of what everyone else has said between Rocky Shores and the original location. I was surprised to see such a negative opinion of the place.... makes me wonder what really happened that day. I'll be sure to snap pics and post up a review once I return from my trip as well!

Thanks for the review! I'll be there on Wednesday and can't wait to check it out for myself. I noticed there's a rather negative review of the property on the Carnival excursion site from a very displeased customer. Their accounts of what happened on that day are polar opposites of what everyone else has said between Rocky Shores and the original location. I was surprised to see such a negative opinion of the place.... makes me wonder what really happened that day. I'll be sure to snap pics and post up a review once I return from my trip as well!

I guess everyone has different expectations and experiences based on who they are and how they act. We were looking for a little more upscale then usual and a more quiet/refined experience and felt that we had just that. My DH and I both agreed we would do it again for a peaceful, relaxing day at the beach. Like I said, the only downside for us was the rocky beach area, would have enjoyed it more if we could have just waded out easily and floated in the sea....

Elaine

This shore excursion was worth every penny! My husband and I, and my two sisters were in Cozumel on Feb.13 on the Carnival Triumph. We didn't see this excursion on Carnival's website until shortly before we left on the cruise - tried to get it, it was all sold out. As soon as we got on the ship we went to the shore excursion desk and got our names on the waiting list. The night before we got to Coz, an envelope containing 4 tickets was slid under our cabin door, we were thrilled! We met up with Charly the next morning and the 24 of us boarded 3 vans for the short ride to the house. Lovely house right on the beach, areas of both sun and shade - I like the beach, but not the sun - hammocks, lounge chairs, cabana beds. We found the perfect spot in the shade of a little group of trees. Staff brought me a lounge chair and set it up where I was in the shade looking out at the water. Drinks were constant, appetizers brought around. Staff were all friendly and spoke good English. One sister walked the beach, picking up shells - she doesn't drink much but had sodas and water. Other sister went snorkeling with about 6 others under Charly's supervision. Water was a little choppy, at first they said no snorkeling but it calmed down. Didn't see much but at least got in the water! They had all the gear, and made you wear a life vest. Had water shoes and towels, too. Nice pool, and a volleyball court, tables and chairs on the terrace of the house. The lunch was amazing, had a choice of about 6 dishes. The guacamole was some of the best I've ever had, and the chef did a demo of how to make it. You were invited to go in the kitchen and watch the chef cook if you wanted. I was sad when we had to leave, it was just paradise to me. I'm not a very active person so this was perfect for me. We all enjoyed it. I have a review on Carnival's site on the Cozumel shore excursion page. This was an adults only tour. And it seems to be different from the one that allows children - the pictures earlier in this thread are not where we were, the place we went was much nicer. I also put a review on their FB page, Cool Running Group, I believe was the name. The actual name of the excursion was Adults Only La Casa en La Playa Rocky Shores. I guess if you need to be entertained or are very active, you wouldn't like this.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know what all is on the menu for what food they serve?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They have Fish, Chicken and Beef and is all about how you want to eat that, you can go with Chef suggestions or even request something mexican like Fajitas

My wife and I did this excursion a few months ago and it was the best day of our cruise. If you want to get away from all the people and noise this is for you. I had a broken ankle and was in a cast but was still able to have an awesome day. Yes it's pricey, but I enjoy splurging on the wife when on vacation.

I see a lot of other posts here with people comparing this to some of the other all-inclusive beach bars. This is different. You can sit and not lift a finger all day. No fighting at a swim up bar or for a seldom seen server. We did not want to leave...

I should add that when we went there were no kids. This is definitely the excursion to spend with someone you love.

...or you could just get drunk at Mr. Sanchos, again....

• 2 months later...

My husband and I will be on the Elation in November, and just came across this excursion. It looks fantastic!

We are not into crowds or drinking beer 'til we drop, so we are considering this.

However, I'm wondering if this property is OWNED by Carnival, or is there a way to book it privately. i.e., not through the cruiseline. We usually do our own excursions, or book through the vendor directly without paying the mark-up the cruiseline adds onto it. But I can't find this elsewhere?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I have read about tipping in some of the reviews on the Carnival site and am wondering about details. Can you give one tip to be shared or should you tip each person? Or did people not tip? Just trying to figure out what types of bills we should have on hand.

There is a big shell that is placed on the table right before you leave. That is where you put in one large tip for everybody on staff. Most people put in $50 PER EACH FAMILY MEMBER IN THE PARTY. What ever tip you put in is shared equally among the whole staff, that way you don't have to tip each time a person does a service for you, because they will be waiting on you very aeeentively hand and foot all day long :)

We tipped the bar tender extra, because we drank a lot of specialty drinks, and we tipped the chef extra because he taught me how to make a recipe!

It was a wonderful wonderful experience, until the second group came about an hour before we left.

Oh yes, we tipped the driver who brought us back to the ship.

Definitely bring money for tips, but it is well worth it.

There is no way to book privately, Carnival has exclusive rights to this venue and the group that services it. I checked with the staff while I was there.

It was definitely worth the price, however. We chatted with people at our dinner table who booked and went on cheaper sound alike tours that they got off the internet. None of them were extrmely satisfied as we were. In this instance, you seem to get what you pay for.

You can leave whatever amount you choose.

With the high price charged by Carnival for this excursion, I think Carnival should include their tip in the price, but they don't. In the meantime, Go, enjoy, and tip whatever you feel is appropriate! Let us know what you think of La Casa en La Playa when you return.

• 1 month later...

I just did this search AFTER I started my own thread, but here's a link to my perspective, dated to this past May. I am not sure if anything has changed since then, but if you're only going on this excursion to eat, drink and relax then perhaps you might want to consider just catching a cab to beach next door:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.phpt=2091952&highlight=playa+en+la

Hope this helps!

• 2 months later...

Is the Rocky Shores one really kids only? There is a price listed for kids so I was thinking it's not adults only.

Do you get the same things as the main one? The pictures look like two different places.

Any insight on the experience would be great! TIA.

Edited by kjml2004

• 1 month later...

1. La Casa en La Playa - A Select Retreat $119.99

2. La Casa en La Playa - Rocky Shores $99.99

Both of these shore excursions are offered by Carnival on Cozumel on the same day and the same time.

The description given by Carnival is exactly the same for both.

As you read the above reviews you will see people describe two different beaches - that is because it is.

The main difference from the pictures that Carnival shows is the house.

"A Select Retreat" house has a thatch roof.

"Rocky Shores" house is stucco - white and yellow and a red tile roof.

I will be going in February 2015 - which one is better? What are the differences?

If you have posted above please let me know which one you went to.

I see that nlktx49 went to "Rocky Shores".

Thanks.