Fully covered balconies on the Sapphire?

Superpowers810

Which decks have balconies that are fully covered? I'm looking at the aft Baha decks at the moment and have heard they are fully covered.

Deck 8 aft minis are covered

Deck 10, each balcony is half covered and half uncovered. These are double size balconies. **

Decks 11, 12 & 14 covered **

** Comment refers to almost all side balconies on these decks. Some aft and forward balconies may be fully or partially uncovered. Review deck plans.

We had an aft Baja cabin. It was fully covered. We were able to look down and see everyone on Dolphin balconies, which are not covered.

We are booked for a Caribe corner aft balcony. It is larger, 9x9, and partially covered.

Pat

We have been on Caribe corner aft facing balconies . They are private and covered completely. No one from above can see down on it. Have had this balcony on Sapphire, Star, Caribbean Princess and Golden Princess. The best balconies in my opinion. Unfortunately now they have been reclassified as Delux balconies and prices really high. Before was a BB. The other balconies on Caribe deck are half covered half uncovered.Still a preferred location. However, on the new Royal, no longer the case.

Princess with their new classifications has priced Mid Aft much higher than aft (side facing balconies). Better deal is balconies considered aft (side facing). They are BD pricing whereas the Mid afts are Premium pricing. (Used Caribe deck as an example)

Okay, thank you all. I think we are going to choose one of the side-facing aft balconies on Baja.
If you are trying to stay out of the sun you should be aware that, depending upon the direction of travel, even covered balconies will be in the sun part of many days. They do a better job keeping rain off the balcony.

If you are trying to stay out of the sun you should be aware that, depending upon the direction of travel, even covered balconies will be in the sun part of many days. They do a better job keeping rain off the balcony.

How far does the ship go away from the coast? Do you always see land on one side of the ship or are there points you see oceans on both side?

How far does the ship go away from the coast? Do you always see land on one side of the ship or are there points you see oceans on both side?
I'm assuming you are on the December 15, 2013 Mexico cruise. If so, you will be totally out of the sight of land sailing between Cabo and Puerto Vallarta (but that is mostly at night) and once again for one or maybe more days after leaving PV. On sea days, even if you can "see" the land, it is only a small line on the horizon. Since you are sailing in both directions, it makes no difference which side of the ship you book. IMHO, this is true for almost any other cruise itinerary.

Depends on where you are going

For instance: in Alaska you are very rarely too far from the coast to see land. In the Caribbean, you could go for much longer stretches before getting a glimpse of land (and often that land is a small strip of lights far away)

Depends on where you are going

For instance: in Alaska you are very rarely too far from the coast to see land. In the Caribbean, you could go for much longer stretches before getting a glimpse of land (and often that land is a small strip of lights far away)

Sorry, I should have specified.

This is southbound on the Mexican Rivera

Okay, thank you all. I think we are going to choose one of the side-facing aft balconies on Baja.

That's what we had. I agree, it really doesn't matter which side you're on. You never know how the ship will be docked or anchored.

Used to be that we chose port side so we could see Cabo as we sailed in, but then we couldn't see the town while we were anchored. Then we chose port so we could see Ensenada while we docked. Anymore, who knows what you will get. :D

Pat

That's what we had. I agree, it really doesn't matter which side you're on. You never know how the ship will be docked or anchored.

Used to be that we chose port side so we could see Cabo as we sailed in, but then we couldn't see the town while we were anchored. Then we chose port so we could see Ensenada while we docked. Anymore, who knows what you will get. :D

Pat

Last time we were in Cabo the Sapphire did almost a 360 while anchored. The view changed during the day. If you choose a cabin for a view in port you will often be disappointed.

Thanks for the info on Sapphire deluxe balconies on the Caribe deck. We had a balcony midship on Baja. Called Princess and found out they were having Balcony Bonanza", a promotion. We switched to a deluxe balcony mid forward on Caribe deck and it was less than the Baja. The balconies are 72 square feet! Huge! It will be great for all the sea days on the 28 day Hawaii and Tahiti cruise!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for the info on Sapphire deluxe balconies on the Caribe deck. We had a balcony midship on Baja. Called Princess and found out they were having Balcony Bonanza", a promotion. We switched to a deluxe balcony mid forward on Caribe deck and it was less than the Baja. The balconies are 72 square feet! Huge! It will be great for all the sea days on the 28 day Hawaii and Tahiti cruise!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Are the side facing aft cabins on Caribe the double sized balconies? It doesn't say that they are "Premium Balconies" like the rest.

Yes, all the side cabins on Caribe Deck have the same size balconies (except of course the suites); mid-forward and mid-aft are called "Premium" as much for location as for the larger balcony. C621 is exactly the same as C619.

Just got home last night after 14 days on the Sapphire. This time we booked an obstructed OV gty and got placed on the Plaza deck. Loved the location. P236 was our cabin.

We also had a mini suite in 2005 on the Sapphire. Dolphin deck cabin D724.

While we did enjoy a much larger cabin with the mini suite, we hated the lack of privacy and shelter from the rain and sleet on the balcony. Everyone on the 3 decks above us had full view of us. If I was going to get a balcony again, I would go for the Aloha or Baja decks.

Also know that the first 15-20 cabin balconies on each end of the ship are in full public view. While we were on the deck above the bridge waiting to leave Vancouver some guy comes out on his balcony wearing nothing but a towel. I don't think he realized that about 200 people could see him.

This was our 3rd trip to Alaska. We only did the balcony on the first trip. The ship will only be at a glacier for about an hour. Your best view of the glacier is from walking around the promenade deck. That glacier may only calve once while you are there. We don't like missing any of the action by sitting on our own balcony.

I have sailed the Sapphire many times. Yes, the Baja deck aft cabins will be fully covered. I sailed in the Aloha deck aft cabin above. I did really like the convenience to the aft pool deck and the Horizon Court Buffet. However, the balcony is small. But, if you must have a fully covered balcony book the one you mentioned on Baja would be good for you. I'm one who doesn't care if my balcony is covered or not. I have sailed a couple of times in a mini-suite on the Sapphire which is not covered at all. I loved, loved, loved it. Never did I feel like people were gazing down at me in wonder of what I might be doing. I do have the ability to focus on what matters to me, though. So if someone was above me enjoying looking at me I just didn't know it. Whether a balcony is covered or not isn't that important to me. Well, I actually loved the fully exposed mini-suite cabins on the Sapphire. I went out late at night and thoroughly enjoyed looking at a full, beautiful night sky.

If you are not like me and concerned about your privacy I would suggest you book that Baja balcony.

Archived